Carl Paladino: Put new stadium in Cobblestone district

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The two missing elements are covered seating and larger concourse areas. Both of those things can be ‘fixed’ way faster and considerably cheaper than building an entirely new facility. Now with that said, many have commented that the stadium concrete structure itself is deteriorating after 50 years, which makes many believe renovations would be throwing good money after bad. 

You forget that half the stadium is in the ground, making expanding concourses impossible. And with an upper deck in questionable shape, how do you support a roof over seating?  Build new or nothing.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You forget that half the stadium is in the ground, making expanding concourses impossible. And with an upper deck in questionable shape, how do you support a roof over seating?  Build new or nothing.

I think the logistics of holding games elsewhere (most likely) as well as the structural limitations make a full reno a somewhat unlikely option and increase the costs.  I would think the delta between building a new Heinz/FirstEnergy/CenturyLink stadium at an adjacent lot versus a renovation of NEF is fairly small.  

Small enough for it to be slam dunk to just start from scratch with a new shiny facility

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

UB stadium is so grossly inadequate to host an NFL team, even temporarily, it's no even funny. Don't forget it's not just seating capacity but data network infrastructure for teams and media. Carrier Dome would be a step better but still inadequate. Here's a thought....what about Penn State's Beaver Stadium? 106,572 capacity, plenty of suites, likely sufficient data structure. Downside is it's a 4-hour drive down mostly 2-lane highways. But I bet Terry Pegula has some pull. 

Seriously. it's a freakin' ghost town right now. If you ask businesses if they would be against having thousands of people downtown on a Sunday they would look at you sideways.

The Carrier Dome doesn't have "sufficient data network infrastructure"  to host and NFL game?  I bet that would be news to Syracuse University.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Carrier Dome doesn't have "sufficient data network infrastructure"  to host and NFL game?  I bet that would be news to Syracuse University.

I think PTR is right about this.  For some reason, I remember hearing/reading about the data network in the Carrier Dome not being sufficient for the NFL.  There is probably a bandwidth difference between what the NFL needs vs what college football needs.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Only thing we have heard is "Do NYC teams need more money even if they play in NJ?"

It's interesting that you would choose a stadium that was completely financed by the teams that play in it ( on land leased from the state of New Jersey) to make whatever point you were trying to make about the Bills and NYS.

12 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think PTR is right about this.  For some reason, I remember hearing/reading about the data network in the Carrier Dome not being sufficient for the NFL.  There is probably a bandwidth difference between what the NFL needs vs what college football needs.

The Chargers will be playing their 3rd season in the "Dignity Health Sports Park Stadium"  on the campus of Cal State-Dominguez Hills...a crappy little soccer stadium with under 30,000 seats.  I'm sure if  the bandwith there (their big draw is the LA GAlaxy) is sufficient for an NFL team, the Dome, where nationally televised D1 games are held annually, has adequate bandwith.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

The Chargers will be playing their 3rd season in the "Dignity Health Sports Park Stadium"  on the campus of Cal State-Dominguez Hills...a crappy little soccer stadium with under 30,000 seats.  I'm sure if  the bandwith there (their big draw is the LA GAlaxy) is sufficient for an NFL team, the Dome, where nationally televised D1 games are held annually, has adequate bandwith.

You're probably correct about the LA stadiums.  I was just stating what I remember hearing/reading about the Carrier Dome a while back.

Actually, I found a couple of links -

From 2014:  https://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/11/21/7257733/carrier-dome-nfl-bills-jets-syracuse

From 2018 https://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/2018/05/syracuse_details_118_million_in_carrier_dome_renovations_including_permanent_roo.html?__vfz=rtw_top_pages%3D9789600014006  which mentions wireless upgrades needed, as well as A/C upgrade (maybe Carrier can help out here)

And a TBD thread about just this topic from last year 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, yall said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of a downtown stadium, but have you been in that part of the City on a Sunday? I'm having trouble envisioning a negative impact on the current level of commerce. 

If you are talking about the CBD, yes it is mostly empty because  most buildings are filled with traditional 9-5, M-F type enterprises, but there are businesses there -- mostly restaurants, bars, gyms, theaters, etc.   Most are small places, but that doesn't mean that they should be kicked to the curb in order to build a sports palace that's used maybe 30 times a year at best.  Moreover,  'Downtown' is more than the CBD; Canalside and Erie Basin Marina are part of downtown, too, and the businesses there are packed on Sundays, especially in the summer and early fall.  The buildings these businesses in are on the tax rolls; a city/county/state owned stadium wouldn't be.

There are about 5-7k people living in the CBD and the outlying parts of downtown like Waterfront Village, Johnson Park,  the Theatre District. These people would find their lives signifcantly impacted by crowds of 70k people filling their streets, parking illegally, etc  The residents of the Marine Drive apartments and the Waterfront Village would find it difficult if not  impossible to get in or out of their neighborhoods on game days/nights.

Edited by SoTier

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's a thought....what about Penn State's Beaver Stadium? 106,572 capacity, plenty of suites, likely sufficient data structure. Downside is it's a 4-hour drive down mostly 2-lane highways. But I bet Terry Pegula has some pull. 

if you are going to be playing in alternate place for part of all of season and NFL needs to go along with that why not use a real NFL stadium rather than Penn State's - Steelers stadium.  Schedule would need to work like NJ Jiants/Jets and it is a little harder because in conference but possible.  If both made playoffs it would be real tricky especially if Bills were then "home" team but at least the NFL crews are familiar with stadium.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, coloradobillsfan said:

Okay I just did, and it says it's a baseball park.  So I need some clarification on your point

Yes its a stadium for baseball. But the restaurants and stores embedded in the stadium at the street level on the sidewalks around the park are open year round and it is an asset to the downtown core district.