Brandon Beane - Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains 7/30

OK last one ?

Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller (from TC)

Note: there is no link available to the interview

- High intensity practice

- It definitely was.  It definitely ratchets up the first day in pads - I knew it, some guys were already getting antsy with each other and the first day in pads and one guy gets what the other thinks is a little cheap shot and he's waiting on him.  We had a small little one today, but you know, it's ball

- Offseason - so many new guys

- It starts with everyone facing the music, and our offense was not good enough last year.  It started upfront, we couldn't get the run game going.  The pass protection was not what we see it should be.  So we started there - let's fix our front, let's bring in some competition in the running game, and get some wideouts - let's get some weapons for Josh.  We added a TE too in Tyler Kroft - he broke his foot in OTAs but he's rehabbing and working hard,  He's progressing and is super positive so that's another piece we don't have right now that we'll be excited to get back.  Continuity - building that cohesion - that's probably the biggest thing you want to get as quick as you can.  It's not an ideal thing to have so many linemen as we have  we want to get that 5 figured out - who it's going to be, and start gelling when we get in the preseason action

- Leaders who believe in message and head coach to bring team together

- Yeah - we look for guys who are pros on and off the field, and maybe sometimes we drop down on talent - not to say these guys - sometimes the guy who isn't the all-star or pro-bowler but gives you everything he's got, is a great teammate - we believe in the 11 as one.  We'll sacrifice some "star power" so to speak to have everyone working together.  It's taking time, it's year three and we like where we're at, and we're trending, but we got a lot of work to do because of some of the new parts we have.

- Josh

- (him leading the team in rushing) Caught a lot of people by surprise.  This time a year ago it was "well is he accurate enough" and all the things - can he play NFL QB - and I think people, if you only watched him throw the ball, if you didn't watch him at Wyoming - he was their leading rusher in a decent amount of games.  He made plays with his feet - he tested very well against all the QBs.  I think he and Lamar Jackson were the highest two testers across the board but it got overlooked - people were so focused on the "accuracy" and breaking that down.  It's one of those things - we do still want him to use his legs, I don;t want him to be the leading rusher though - I agree with you there.  But a lot of times defenses manned up and brought heat and if he makes a guy miss, especially if they're playing man, he's taking off

- He's super talented and can take over games

- He's a super athlete.  The thing we did want to see - he had the elbow injury - and that we saw was he was not taking as many hits, he was getting down - he was getting OOB.  you do want the threat of the run, it's just that when the run's over - get down or get OOB and don't take that hit.  The one thing we still stressed towards the end of the year when he was getting out of the pocket trying to make a play sometimes he was holding it so long that he allowed a defender - even after he got rid of it, to still take a shot.  Those add up over time.  I think if we can get him to stop those and take the check downs  - he's an aggressive kid, and he thinks he can make every throw 25 yds down the field in a tight window when sometimes take that little dump pass and let someone else make the play for you

- Mitch Morse

- When I was in Carolina we had Ryan Kahlil - he set the table for Cam and set the front, and such a great communicator with the OL.  We had some injuries but when Ryan was out there even if we had other linemen go down, it was like the unit kept rolling.  That piece up the middle is so important.  So when Mitch was avail, obvi a large part of what KC had going the last couple years  - we love who he is, the communication that he has.  Him and the other guys - the Spains, Felicianos - what we brought in were guys we did research on , felt were team guys - maybe not the most talented or highest paid but were going to buy in.  Maybe started some, didn't start all the time, competitive guys looking for their chance and oppty.  It's been a good battle.  The think we know now is we have a lot more depth.  That's something we were lacking the most and when we got some injuries we suffered because of it

- Other than RG it looks like you are pretty well set - is that fair to say

- You know we're trying - time is not our friend here as far as the OLine is concerned - so we're trying to mix those guys in.  I'd say we have 6-7 guys who are really fighting right now in that top group.  But games will matter - we could have someone when we get in the preseason games is not gelling for some reason - there's some other guys right behind who have played,  We've got more experience.  We just want to be solid up front.  We don't have to be elite - we're just trying to make it gel.

- With so many diff guys with diff experience/opinions - OL coach has to have a strong backbone - this is how we're doing it period.  Looks like he has that - an approach to  not do a lot of things at first - get good as you go

- Bobby's been a great addition.  When we were looking for this job, we made a lot of calls to other staffs -  to players that have played under him - and his name kept coming up - hey this is a guy you should at least interview.  He's been great - he brought Terry Heffernan in  <Proceeds to praise Ryan Wendell up and down - at length>. 

- Love Cody Ford  - the compete/finish

- He's a competitor.  He was the nastiest guy I saw last year in college.  If the whistle hadn't blown, he's looking for work.  

- For such a big guy you never see that.  <chime in> Oh now they'll be more fights in camp now that I hear that part <laughter>

- Let me say the first day we had a brawl he was the first guy over there

- <laughter> Finishers always start brawls!

- Receivers - not biggest group but offer everything

- Andre (Roberts) is a big time pro - he had a pro bowl year as a returner.   He single-handedly beat us last year.  He's been a great addition, a great leader in the room.  John Brown - w tried to get him a year ago, we lost out - he was looking for an established QB.  Going into this year he was very interested in us - knew this was year two.  He's been a great leader.  He's not just a vertical speed receiver - he can do a lot of the vertical routes, which gives him an advantage because they're not just always sitting on the nine ball.  Beasley - had a hernia in the offseason  - just now building up timing with Josh.  Has been a great addition - he's so savvy.  Was a good fit as he learned what his role would be in this offense.  Been a great guy and been a great leader for some of our younger guys.  Robert Foster back, Zay Jones year three - and some other guys Ray-Ray and McKittrick are all battling for some spots.  We feel there will be better depth there - will be an interesting battle if these guys stay healthy

- Going to be tough to get to 25 offensive players

- I hope it is tough.  It is going to be tough.  I hope we're healthy.  I looked at it in June as OK if we keep 5 receivers, 4 TEs, etc. where are we going to cut a spot - and I love linemen - I don't want to be short there.  Once you get into late Sept the talent level really starts to drop off if you need a replacement.  You can find one earlier in the year, but you start getting into late Sept early Oct you're crossing your fingers 

- OLinemen 6,7,8 are guys who played in this league

- Yeah - and that's the goal.  You cross your fingers everyday and these guys are out here just going at it - it's a collision sport and things happen.  It's been a fun camp do far we love coming up here.  We're going down to Carolina in a couple weeks to practice against Carolina so that will heat it up for us a little bit

- Depth in secondary.  Levi Wallave, Gains, Johnson

- Kevin Johnson 1st round pick.  You understand why he got picked where he did.  The durability has been the issue.  He's beefed up and come in with a refreshed attitude.  Sometimes a fresh start works out for a guy - again he'll have to prove that he can stay healthy.  You see his twitch.  He's one of the most twitched-up corners I've been around.  He's got very good ball skills.  Several picks. EJ Gaines - we had EJ two years ago.  We were 8-3 when he started for us.  He had some injury issues with us - left to go to Cleveland and I think thought man I fit this defense well.  Levi Wallace was an undrafted young man - came in and kept his mouth shut - late in the year we started him the last seven games.  It wasn't too big for him.  We brought in competition for him - to this point he has held his own.  It will be a tough battle thru this preseason to see who will start opposite Tre.  

- Oliver

- Ed's been good.  He's a rookie - a lot of this is learning trial by fire.  He's playing totally different than how he was playing in Houston - we have him mainly in the 3-trch.  The main thin is in pass rush he's got the get-off , he's got to work on his moves.  He's seeing linemen he hasn't seen before - and some of the stuff they do [Ed. note: ie., cheat?] I kind of view him like Tremaine last year.  Tremaine was a young player, learned a lot trial by fire - had to run the whole defense.  ed is the same way - he's going to makes some plays just off his athletic ability, and he's going to make mistakes, but we're willing to live with those.  He's been a hard worker - tough kid, super explosive, he wants to be great - he believes every snap the guy across from him can't block him.  That's the belief you want to have.  He's a good kid.  He doesn't say much, he's quiet, but when the ball is snapped he's ready to roll

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 12

Thank you again for doing this...

I cant stress enough how exciting it's going to be having Oliver and Edmunds playing with eachother. They are going to grow together and be such a force in the middle of the field.

The trial by fire is sometimes, the best way to truly learn.

Edited by BillsFan17

Yes, thanks stevewin!

A couple of interesting tidbits in there:

1. 6-7 O-lineman who are really fighting for spots. By deduction it must be Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Long/Feliciano, Ty/Cody. Does that mean, for now, they expect Spain to start at LG and the battles are Long and Feliciano for RG (both of whom could be interior swingman if they lose out, both with experience at center) and Ford and Nseke at RT (the loser would be the swing tackle). They probably keep more than that (8-9?), but that looks to be the makeup of the starting 5 and top 2 backups at this point.

2. When he talked about receivers, he mentioned Andre Roberts first (leadership and special teams, plus he's been playing well in camp as a receiver), then Brown and Beasley. Then Foster and Zay. So, I assume those 5 are all projected to make the team (as most of us have assumed). But the interesting thing to me were the next two names he mentioned, McCloud and, I assume, the OP meant McKenzie. I know a lot of people were somewhat high on McKenzie from last year, but I had totally written off Ray-Ray (maybe I was a bit premature). I was originally thinking Duke, Sills, or Phillips would have the best shot at the 6th spot.

Maybe those points have been obvious in camp, but I haven't had a chance to check much of the camp coverage yet, so those items jumped out to me.

Edited by folz

1 hour ago, folz said:

Yes, thanks stevewin!

A couple of interesting tidbits in there:

1. 6-7 O-lineman who are really fighting for spots. By deduction it must be Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Long/Feliciano, Ty/Cody. Does that mean, for now, they expect Spain to start at LG and the battles are Long and Feliciano for RG (both of whom could be interior swingman if they lose out, both with experience at center) and Ford and Nseke at RT (the loser would be the swing tackle). They probably keep more than that (8-9?), but that looks to be the makeup of the starting 5 and top 2 backups at this point.

2. When he talked about receivers, he mentioned Andre Roberts first (leadership and special teams, plus he's been playing well in camp as a receiver), then Brown and Beasley. Then Foster and Zay. So, I assume those 5 are all projected to make the team (as most of us have assumed). But the interesting thing to me were the next two names he mentioned, McCloud and, I assume, the OP meant McKenzie. I know a lot of people were somewhat high on McKenzie from last year, but I had totally written off Ray-Ray (maybe I was a bit premature). I was originally thinking Duke, Sills, or Phillips would have the best shot at the 6th spot.

Maybe those points have been obvious in camp, but I haven't had a chance to check much of the camp coverage yet, so those items jumped out to me.

Yes. Spain was always going to start. He is really good. But you are right the battles are Long / Feliciano at RG and Ford / Nsekhe at RT. 

And I have always said, all the way through, that I thought it was McKenzie vs Ray Ray for the 6th spot. This offense makes much more use of a gadget guy vs a big guy and both of those two have played special teams. Sills, Duke and Phillips have not. 

Edited by GunnerBill