AMD Ryzen 5 or Intel I5 ?

TSNBDSC

i5

until about a month ago I would have told you that an Intel chip would always outperform the same generation AMD chip.  But AMD just released new Ryzen 3700x and 3900x chip that closed the gap with the i9.  I"ve been trying to get my hands on a 3900x but they're always sold out.  At this rate I may end up just waiting until the 3950x comes out in September (16 core 32 thread gaming goodness :w00t:

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

i5

until about a month ago I would have told you that an Intel chip would always outperform the same generation AMD chip.  But AMD just released new Ryzen 3700x and 3900x chip that closed the gap with the i9.  I"ve been trying to get my hands on a 3900x but they're always sold out.  At this rate I may end up just waiting until the 3950x comes out in September (16 core 32 thread gaming goodness :w00t:

Thanks for your input !

You can go back and forth with all the specs.

The I5 seems to have a faster processor speed but the AMD has more RAM

7 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

Thanks for your input !

You can go back and forth with all the specs.

The I5 seems to have a faster processor speed but the AMD has more RAM

The AMD has 12GB of system memory

The Intel has 8GB of system memory.  But wait, there's more!  The Intel also has 16GB Optane Memory, which is like a bridge between memory and your hard drive.  Optane is a very high speed flash drive that the system mirrors important and frequently used files from the main drive, so that when you're booting up the computer or running applications it is accessing the high speed Optane drive rather than the slow traditional hard drive

• Like (+1) 1

Looking for speed. Quickness. Not slowly loading web pages etc.

You could always add RAM yes ?

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Ryzen, all day and twice on sundays.

From a price/performance perspective, AMD is cleaning the floor with Intel.

How on performance ? Processing speed ?

23 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

Looking for speed. Quickness. Not slowly loading web pages etc.

You could always add RAM yes ?

How on performance ? Processing speed ?

Price to performance. Have you done a cost comparison? Number of cores/memory per dollar.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

29 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

The Intel has 8GB of system memory.  But wait, there's more!  The Intel also has 16GB Optane Memory, which is like a bridge between memory and your hard drive.  Optane is a very high speed flash drive that the system mirrors important and frequently used files from the main drive, so that when you're booting up the computer or running applications it is accessing the high speed Optane drive rather than the slow traditional hard drive

I'm not familiar with Optane, but it sounds like it performs very much like a Solid State Drive (SSD).  You really want this performance for Windows to keep things nice and snappy.  

1 minute ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I'm not familiar with Optane, but it sounds like it performs very much like a Solid State Drive (SSD).  You really want this performance for Windows to keep things nice and snappy.  

SSD run about 500MBs on the SATA Bus

Optane uses an M2 drive.  M2 drives do about 3GBs on the PCIx bus

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Price to performance. Have you done a cost comparison? Number of cores/memory per dollar.

Just looking for performance between the two I listed. Price isnt that much of a difference.

The confusing part is one has a higher processor speed and the other one RAM/cache.

49 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Joe in Winslow seems to like the AMD...

6 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Wonder why it says "near SSD performance" on the specs page then.  Sounds like it smokes it.  

I must have missed that when I glanced over the OPs specs

Older M2s run on the SATA bus and newer on the PCIx. The above probably runs on SATA

6 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

Joe in Winslow seems to like the AMD...

When I built my system, I went ryzen, and I don't regret it. 

Ryzen vs Intel

Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS vs Debian/Ubuntu

Picard vs Kirk

We can nerd out and debate the details all day, but in the end it's a matter of preference.  I've been price shopping parts for a new gaming rig for a few months but had never quite been ready to pull the trigger.  Until the latest Ryzens came out I was going to go for an i9-9900 or 9920.  But after seeing what AMD pulled off, I"m gonna make the switch.  If I could only find somewhere that isn't sold out of the 3900x (tho now I'm contemplating waiting for the 3950x to come out)

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

When I built my system, I went ryzen, and I don't regret it. 

So, would you say processor speed trumps RAM/cache ?

4 to 4.9 ghz versus 3.6 ghz ?

12GB RAM versus 8GB RAM ?

3 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

Let me ask you this. What's the machine being used for?

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Ryzen vs Intel

Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS vs Debian/Ubuntu

Picard vs Kirk

We can nerd out and debate the details all day, but in the end it's a matter of preference.  I've been price shopping parts for a new gaming rig for a few months but had never quite been ready to pull the trigger.  Until the latest Ryzens came out I was going to go for an i9-9900 or 9920.  But after seeing what AMD pulled off, I"m gonna make the switch.  If I could only find somewhere that isn't sold out of the 3900x (tho now I'm contemplating waiting for the 3950x to come out)

Exactly. Most gamers I know have made the switch.  I was able to afford a better gpu by going ryzen too. Ymmv.

Let me ask you this. What's the machine being used for?

Exactly. Most gamers I know have made the switch.  I was able to afford a better gpu by going ryzen too. Ymmv.

Basic home stuff. General sufing. Music and videos. No gaming.

6 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

On the Intel, the 4-4.9ghz is the "boosted" speed, which you'll only get if you overclock.  The base speed is actually 2.8ghz.  the amd base is 3.6 without an overclock.  Overclocking isn't something you'd use on a basic home PC

The AMD therefore has the higher base clock but the AMD has 4 cores while the Intel has 6.  A core is the number of processors per chip.  So the AMD has 4x 3.6ghz processors and the Intel has 6x 2.8Ghz processors.  That doesn't mean the AMD has a ~15Ghz processor and the Intel has a ~17Ghz processor.  It means that your applications and background programs need to use the CPU, there are 4 available on the AMD running at 3.6ghz vs 6 available on the Intel running at 2.8Ghz