Bills Training Camp Day 6 - 7/31

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Worth commenting on the RT situation. Cody had a rough day before the day off and then a rough day yesterday according to media accounts and today Ty Nsekhe is in. I repeat they want Cordy to win this job but if it has to be Ty for a stretch until he is ready then the Bills will roll with that. 

Agree with that, although there was also a report today that Cody took some snaps at LT today (I think with the 1s). 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Agree with that, although there was also a report today that Cody took some snaps at LT today (I think with the 1s). 

I believe he only took the LT reps because Dawkins had to leave briefly with a knee issue (he’s fine) and it was the end of practice 

Went to camp today with my Dad and my son.  

Was able to score some VIP tix, and sat in the VIP section of the bleachers to the far left.   Last year we went, and we got a picture of my Dad and my son with Josh (see avatar).  This year we printed the picture 8x10, and figured if we would be able to get in a position where Josh could see my son and my Dad holding the picture - he'd come right over and sign it and recreate the pose from last year for another picture.  We could do it every year!

When we sat down - my son said to me "That's Josh's girlfriend" - and sure enough a couple rows down she was sitting there.  Upon further inspection it turned out Josh's Dad and Mom were in front of her - and also (as we would learn later) were his sister and Grandma Allen.

We started joking that my son should go over and ask his girlfriend to sign the back of the picture - heck his parents too - then when we got Josh to sign it, we could show him his family signed it too.  After a while of this, my son actually decided to do it just for fun.  He approached Britt first, and she was initially a bit taken aback by this kid holding an 8x10 of him and Josh and an old man - but almost immediately Josh's father turned to him and my son explained he thought it would be fun if they signed the back of the picture - and Dad was all in.  He passed it to Josh's Mom, sister, and Grandma Allen to sign as well.  My son had some small talk with the family while the pic was getting passed around - they were all extremely kind and nice.

After practice ended we set up by the VIP fence (with the entitled children) waiting for Josh to come over - my son and Dad standing together holding the picture which was sure to draw him straight over.  Eventually he came over to the section of fence by us, but it was apparent 1) he was only signing for kids (and girls with prom signs - more on that later) and 2) the whole "hey look I have a picture of you that we took last year" wasn't quite as compelling to him as it was to us.  There were a few times as we moved along the fence he for sure saw it - but he was focused on getting to kids and moving along, which honestly he had to do - don't fault him at all. 

So here's a pic of Josh and his family after practice - below it are the autographs of each person in that pic - minus the big guy in the blue shirt.

joshfamsig.thumb.jpg.433de85bd182540d7908348a1351719c.jpg

At one point as we moved around we were near the girl with the Prom? sign.  If you look close you can see the 8x10 being held up in the background :P

joshprom.thumb.jpg.5215ca992792847b1459a07518609032.jpg

Kudos to Josh - he started signing at the far left VIP area, went all the way over to the beginning at far right - signed all along the bleachers, then the other side by the tunnel, then both sides after going through the tunnel (where the Prom girl was) - then into the other VIP area past that.  Was being super nice and friendly the whole time.  Also kudos to his family for being so nice and playing along with my son.

There was another kid who had a Josh it's my birthday sign which earned him a high five and an autograph.  I'm going tomorrow and my birthday is Fri - thinking of making a "It's my Birthday - Prom?" sign - that would be sure to get him to sign then ? 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Probably because Dawkins got dinged up and sat out afterward. At least according to Chris Brown on 'One Bills Live' this afternoon. 

2019 Buffalo Bills scouting report: linebacker Corey Thompson

Positional outlook: Thompson is squarely in the second tier of linebackers on Buffalo’s roster, as he sits behind the starting group (Milano, Lorenzo Alexander, and Tremaine Edmunds) but in front of the rookie group (Vosean Joseph and Tyrel Dodson). Maurice Alexander, Julian Stanford, and Deon Lacey are the veterans who fill out the line backing corp.

2019 Offseason: Thompson has participated in all off season activities to date. When Lorenzo Alexander received a veteran rest day on July 28, it was Thompson who filled in for him with the starting group, so the coaching staff must like what he brings to the table in terms of his versatility and his ability.

2019 Season outlook: Thompson clearly has a solid case to make the final roster, as he was able to start at Milano’s weak side position last year and is seemingly being groomed to fill Alexander’s strong side position for the future.

Head coach Sean McDermott specifically mentioned Maurice Alexander’s versatility as a benefit during his press conference July 28, and the emphasis on special teams suggests that guys like Lacey and Stanford are safe, but the team has some intriguing talent here at linebacker.

Whether they go with six or seven at the position could go a long way towards determining who makes the final cut. Given his usage, Thompson is someone who certainly should not be counted out for that spot.

• Like (+1) 3

Some random non-Grandma-Allen related observations from camp today

- Andre Roberts is the real deal.  Looks different than anyone else (in a good way) when he returns and gets upfield.  He is also a seriously legit WR.  Had some nice catches and just looked so natural running routes, catching, and running after

- New bulletin - Singletary is not slow :rolleyes:  Looks awesome catching passes as well - think he will be a real surprise to the rest of the NFL this year.  It's amazing though to see him in the huddle - the top of his helmet might not make it to the top of Josh's shoulder pads

- Towbridge looked impressive to me today - had a few catches in space and looked natural doing it (despite his huge frame)

- Barkley is a legit QB - not just a legit backup QB, but legit QB.  He had full command and was making very nice passes.  Also - he walked by with his pads off - he is a surprisingly stout man - like buffet-stout

- Knox and Croom walked past side by side with no pads on - was surprised how built Know was - was wider than Croom in shoulders and back

- Not sure what reports were for interceptions - but at least two times the ball was "intercepted" the whistle blew and the play was dead and Josh just threw it up.  One int was a battle between DB and Sills that Sills lost.  Going to go out on a limb that Sills doesn't make the 53

- The defense totally stuffed the O in the last part of 11-11 - like 3-4 series in a row went 3 and out

- Kudos to Josh for signing so much after (with his family (who just got in last night) waiting for him) - always trying to keep a smile and stay upbeat - and best part was the way he worked to engage so many little kids with a high five and "How ya doin!" instead of just scribbling his sig.  And he was able to walk that line and blow you off nicely and politely - as he had to keep moving

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, stevewin said:

- Andre Roberts is the real deal.  Looks different than anyone else (in a good way) when he returns and gets upfield.  He is also a seriously legit WR.  Had some nice catches and just looked so natural running routes, catching, and running after

- New bulletin - Singletary is not slow :rolleyes:  Looks awesome catching passes as well - think he will be a real surprise to the rest of the NFL this year.  It's amazing though to see him in the huddle - the top of his helmet might not make it to the top of Josh's shoulder pads

- Towbridge looked impressive to me today - had a few catches in space and looked natural doing it (despite his huge frame)

- Barkley is a legit QB - not just a legit backup QB, but legit QB.  He had full command and was making very nice passes.  Also - he walked by with his pads off - he is a surprisingly stout man - like buffet-stout

- Knox and Croom walked past side by side with no pads on - was surprised how built Know was - was wider than Croom in shoulders and back

- Not sure what reports were for interceptions - but at least two times the ball was "intercepted" the whistle blew and the play was dead and Josh just threw it up.  One int was a battle between DB and Sills that Sills lost.  Going to go out on a limb that Sills doesn't make the 53

- The defense totally stuffed the O in the last part of 11-11 - like 3-4 series in a row went 3 and out

- Kudos to Josh for signing so much after (with his family (who just got in last night) waiting for him) - always trying to keep a smile and stay upbeat - and best part was the way he worked to engage so many little kids with a high five and "How ya doin!" instead of just scribbling his sig.  And he was able to walk that line and blow you off nicely and politely - as he had to keep moving

Is this Andre Roberts (I don’t know his #)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, stevewin said:

He's really not. 

The Chicago Bears did that experiment in 2016 and the result was 1-5 and 8 TD to 14 INTs. 

I think he's a far far better QB than Peterman - Barkley can legit play in the NFL for a few games - but his arm strength is limited and so is his mobility.  He's got a good head for the game, and can play well within his limitations.  But if he's trying to carry the team and make something happen (which the starting QB must do), he'll be Fitz-like in writing checks that his physical ability can't cash.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's really not. 

The Chicago Bears did that experiment in 2016 and the result was 1-5 and 8 TD to 14 INTs. 

I think he's a far far better QB than Peterman - Barkley can legit play in the NFL for a few games - but his arm strength is limited and so is his mobility.  He's got a good head for the game, and can play well within his limitations.  But if he's trying to carry the team and make something happen (which the starting QB must do), he'll be Fitz-like in writing checks that his physical ability can't cash.

I’m not saying Barkley is a legit starter, but the WRs he was throwing to with the Bears in ‘16 were similar to ours last season.  

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

So you're saying he looks good with his pads off! ?