Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, BillsVet said:

Amateur and Pro offensive personnel decisions under McBeane were mediocre in 2017-18.  I put much of that on McD's decision to rebuild the defense first, which left fewer UFA dollars for offense.  It's why the offense was historically inept last season.

It's not just letting Watkins and Woods go. It's not just starting Peterman to begin 2018. It's not just the 2017 and 18 UFA groups.  It's that they thought they could get by offensively without really investing in upgrades on that side of the ball the first 2 off-seasons of this rebuild. 

The 2019 offensive UFAs better be a home run to make up for the previous 2 years.  Kroft and Morse being hurt this early is another red flag on this leadership group.

I get that people want to trust these guys until it's abundantly clear they failed.  They talk a good game, but a fan can start hedging their bets on McBeane three off-seasons into their tenure. 

I continue to have zero issue with McDermott. Beane would not be an NFL GM without McDermott and he seems to make bad signings in free agency. We must remember McDermott started as a scout. Drafted players thus far all seem inline with what McDermott seen in Phily. There is virtually zero deviation from the way Andy Reid and Howie Roseman draft players. Ron Rivera was also in Phily at the time. Whoever GMs under McDermott only has one job, find players in free agency like Zo and Incognito and Nickell Robey and Corey Graham and Poyer and Hyde.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly.  You get it.  The Bills say "You agree we may release you even though you are injured.   In return, we pay you the guaranteed money you are due as a lump sum rather than making you stick around the facility and get paid every week through the season"  Wood says "As long as I get my money, fine by me, where do I sign?"  That's the injury settlement.

It could have been something different, of course, but if I were a player with a family to care for whose career unexpectedly ended years before my plan while playing my a** off for the team, I sure as shootin' wouldn't take money out of my pocket to give back to the team.  And if the team gives a player guaranteed money, it's...guaranteed, it's not something the team could recover and lets the player have only out of the goodness of their fuzzy warm hearts. 

"Guaranteed money" is one of the few places where the team is actually committed to the contracts they sign.

^This. 

There was never any rancor between the Bills and Wood as had been speculated. I think that perception arose around the last minute decision to hold off until June 1 to release him vs. letting him announce his retirement in January. In short, the Bills elected to take the entire cap hit in 2018, some $10.8m iirc,  by designating him a June 1 release rather than spreading a portion into 2019. That decision should have been made prior to Wood’s planned retirement announcement and I think the front office totally mismanaged the situation in January of 2018. 

Bottom line for Wood is that he was paid his guaranteed salary for 2018 (it was protected against injury, anyway) as well as the remaining signing bonus; some $8.8m in total. They took care of him. And that was never in question but it didn’t stop some from speculating that the Bills would ask him to return a portion of his signing bonus. That became a moot point by waiting to release him, anyway. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Guaranteed money" is one of the few places where the team is actually committed to the contracts they sign.

See @Doc just thought "guaranteed" money was the part the team is refunded if they aren't completely satisfied.

Common mistake.

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I continue to have zero issue with McDermott. Beane would not be an NFL GM without McDermott and he seems to make bad signings in free agency. We must remember McDermott started as a scout. Drafted players thus far all seem inline with what McDermott seen in Phily. There is virtually zero deviation from the way Andy Reid and Howie Roseman draft players. Ron Rivera was also in Phily at the time. Whoever GMs under McDermott only has one job, find players in free agency like Zo and Incognito and Nickell Robey and Corey Graham and Poyer and Hyde.

Watch the embedded feature on the Bills YouTube channel; there's absolutely zero ambiguity regarding who's in charge of the draft.

Hint: it's not McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Watch the embedded feature on the Bills YouTube channel; there's absolutely zero ambiguity regarding who's in charge of the draft.

Hint: it's not McDermott.

He's in charge but I think his personnel department has a lot more influence in final decisions than in most organizations.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:36 AM, Chandler#81 said:

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

dammit.

STFU ?

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Retire?!?!

Where is this coming from?? 

Or is this just super over exaggeration

Retire is where we are up to currently.

I'm waiting for a report that the Morse family is standing guard at the funeral home protecting Mitch's head from Richie.

• Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Havent read through the whole thread.....has someone made mention of his spleen yet?

Yes. Morse’s spleen has been removed and is being used as a helmet liner to help soften further blows to the head. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Retire?!?!

Where is this coming from?? 

Or is this just super over exaggeration

No- we just got side tracked into a hypothetical “how does this work” debate. I don’t think anyone is counting this as the end of the line- though of players on the roster, he’s about as high risk for that discussion as it gets, unfortunately 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe it was Saturday.  July 27.. (rummage rummage) Saturday.  He has not practiced since, though they didn't announce the concussion until Tues.

They announced it on Wednesday actually. He practiced Thurs- Sat, he had a vet rest day Sunday, then the team was off Monday. Morse didn’t practice on Tuesday when the team returned..  McDermott said on Wednesday that he was diagnosed on Tuesday and placed in the protocol. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Seems often when someone has a concussion, they are supposed to stay in a darkened room, try to minimize movement, etc.  Morse was reported on the sideline the last two practices at camp.

Makes me think this is a training camp level concussion. Not saying it's fake at all, but more like Morse told them I bumped my head a little.  Great just to be extra safe, we'll put you in protocol.  If this were regular season, he'd be playing.