Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't recall anyone bringing up his concussion history when we were pursuing him. 

I definitely remember some people saying it.  I don’t really pay attention to o linemen so I freely admit I didn’t know about it.  Really good player but this is going to hang over the signing.

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You don’t think the problem with that?  That people on a message board know about his concussion history and yet we made him the highest paid C in the nfl?  It was always a hugely risky signing.  Fingers crossed it works out but if it doesn’t, they should be ripped. 

I think you’re one of those who believes you have as much knowledge as Beane when making decisions.  You’re wrong.  Doesn’t mean his decisions will all be correct.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Pretty simple: the team went from having a WR that could threaten defenses at every level to having zero WRs that any D.C. even paid mind.

And they did it of their own volition when they had the player's rights for 3 more seasons uncontested.

The wide receiver you are talking about was a pariah with his Bill's teammates, was often injured, inconsistent and was going to want a huge contract.   He massively underperformed his contract with the Rams and the Chiefs and he has continue to prove to be very injury prone.

There is very little doubt that it was the right move.  You know I respect you but this is not even reasonably debatable.

Edited by Magox

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not true, again because of the protocol. It could be really bad or mostly precautionary. Even if Morse wasn’t visible at camp there would be scant details and we’d likely not know anything more than we do now. It’s just handled differently than any other injury a player could sustain on the field. 

It wasJust opinion on my part 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Pretty simple: the team went from having a WR that could threaten defenses at every level to having zero WRs that any D.C. even paid mind.

And they did it of their own volition when they had the player's rights for 3 more seasons uncontested.

yep

it was purely about process.
coulda chized him the following year as well.

Robert Wood though...

19 minutes ago, Magox said:

The wide receiver you are talking about was a pariah with his Bill's teammates, was often injured, inconsistent and was going to want a huge contract.   He massively underperformed his contract with the Rams and the Chiefs and he has continue to prove to be very injury prone.

There is very little doubt that it was the right move.  You know I respect you but this is not even reasonably debatable.

when he was a Bill  we were never sure what was going on in regard to Watkins.

but he sure made some plays

when he played

21 minutes ago, Magox said:

No worries.

You're right that he was clearly a better WR here than he's been since leaving. 

I just believe that the self-inflicted loss at the WR spot still hurts the team to this day.

But Morse was a great pickup in my view when it occurred. I liked it better than the other guy who had more injury risk.

There were two high rated centers available in FA and we took one of them

we would B word regardless.
but thats fair.

Let hope Morse clears his head and gets one of the new helmets A Brown refuses to wear and we are good at center for years to come

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No worries.

I just believe that the self-inflicted loss at the WR spot still hurts the team to this day.

its a fair cop. but the team set themselves back in more than one way under new management post Rex/ Marrone

Edited by 3rdand12

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Give me a break with the everything’s awesome junk.  I said Beane made a calculated gamble on Morse and if he can’t play then Beane lost.  

What I will absolutely guarantee is that Beane had a helluva lot more date available to him before pulling the trigger than any blowhard on a message board.

Oh look the get off my lawn guy gets mouthy. Grow up you curmudgeon.

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Oh look the get off my lawn guy gets mouthy. Grow up you curmudgeon.

Did I or did I not say Beane would lose on his calculated gamble if the Morse thing did not work?  So quit telling me and others I approve everything they do.  I don’t.  I just realize that and I dont’ go berserk if a decision doesn’t pan out.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Did I or did I not say Beane would lose on his calculated gamble if the Morse thing did not work?  So quit telling me and others I approve everything they do.  I don’t.  I just realize that and I dont’ go berserk if a decision doesn’t pan out.

Berserk? As in saying that if this doesn’t work out then I will question their personnel evaluations on the pro level? 

Put things in context, I’m not here to bash Beane. I was probably the biggest JA supporter leading up to and after his selection. This would be a big swing and miss. No doubt about it. I don’t see why that conversation can’t take place without being nasty towards other fans.

Everyone wants the same thing. Ws.

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Berserk? As in saying that if this doesn’t work out then I will question their personnel evaluations on the pro level? 

Put things in context, I’m not here to bash Beane. I was probably the biggest JA supporter leading up to and after his selection. This would be a big swing and miss. No doubt about it. I don’t see why that conversation can’t take place without being nasty towards other fans.

Not saying you are berserk and apologize for giving you that impression.

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No worries.

In his year and half in Buffalo Kelvin Benjamin cost them almost exactly what the Watkins 5th year option cost and was nearly worthless..........he might as well have had a broken foot:lol:.

And they gave up a pick that was less than a full round later than what the Rams gave the Bills for Watkins. :doh:

Their culture somehow survived KB I think they might have gotten by with Ol' Sammy.

Whether some people want to admit it or not the decisions to not pick up his option and then to trade him were both poor ones.

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Grow up ?
Curmudgeon.

us old farts earned our narrow opinions.

show some respect.

: )

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

McD is asked every day about Morse and every day McD says Morse is still in concussion protocol. What else, exactly, does he need to say so as not to appear “mum” about it? What info are you looking to get out of McD regarding Morse’s concussion?

Maybe you’re right, but i guess it’s a prognosis thing.

It's now two weeks in the protocol.  Most guys are practicing 3-5 days ago.  This is a repeat concussion so they may be giving him some extra time.  Another week and you really have to start worrying about his readiness to play game 1.  If he misses this week, then he probably does no-contact stuff for a week, and then at best he gets some mild contact before the last pre-season game.  There is no chance he dresses for the fourth game.  Meaning at this point it is more likely than not he doesn't take a single snap in any pre-season game.  Do I really care if he does?  Not really.  I think he can perform week 1 with no live snaps all pre-season.  A guy of his talent should be able to execute at a high level game 1 without any live reps.  Maybe it will taker a series or two to get used to the speed and force of impact.  But if his brain is ok, I'm not worried...yet...