Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Thats exactly what their doing. My guess is that he actually has cleared it but they are just saying he’s still in it to avoid the media and questions why he’s not practicing if he’s cleared protocol. 

He’ll miraculously clear protocol my guess the week of the 3rd preseason game

In your hypothetical- That he’s hung up in protocol for nearly a month is a much bigger media story than he’s good and taking some vet time along the way

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm just curious...are you basing this on anything in particular, or is it pure conjecture on your part?

Its clearly conjecture but given the current situation and info available it’s not wild speculation. Speculative for sure but not crazy out of line with a guy with several concussions and now long term in the protocol again 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

That he’s hung up in protocol for nearly a month is a much bigger media story than he’s good and taking some vet time along the way

eh, we’ll never know, so this too is conjecture. Adding to him not playing in meaningless games is a concern of him battling a highly prized rookie DT who’s looking to make a huge name for himself and laughs when the Head Coach kicks him out of practice for crashing into ‘the Franchise’. Too bad Ducasse sucked even worse at Center. He could have lasted the whole preseason as Oliver Fodder..

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm just curious...are you basing this on anything in particular, or is it pure conjecture on your part?

Pure conjecture.

Based on a history of concussions, the last one occurring when he was playing the equivalent of flag football.

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

This. And -yes, I’m going there- he’s alluded to how thankful he and his family are for this huge contract so he can get the proper care for his brother. If y’all think WE’RE concerned about him, how do think they feel? With all of this, playing in completely meaningless games in August makes zero sense.

He’ll introduce himself to the Jets.

One factor to consider with Morse is that he is not your typical center who can only project to G or C.  

The interior positions obviously play a lot of "head down" football where it's hard to avoid sudden head collisions, off-balance jarring hits and neck-snapbacks that cause concussion.   

But Morse has a tackle frame and athleticism.   He was a top recruit as an OT and was primarily an OT at Missouri.  

If he had refused to play inside during the draft process he would still have likely been gone by round 5, IMO

I think this year they will cross their fingers and play him at center regardless but his future as a Bill could be outside.

It would be a financial kick in the teeth to pay a swing tackle that kind of dough but he could also be much more than that..........tackle doesn't seem like a need now but that changes quickly..........but they really are pretty much locked in for 3 years with him so they may need pivot him from the pivot.    

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

One factor to consider with Morse is that he is not your typical center who can only project to G or C.  

The interior positions obviously play a lot of "head down" football where it's hard to avoid sudden head collisions, off-balance jarring hits and neck-snapbacks that cause concussion.   

But Morse has a tackle frame and athleticism.   He was a top recruit as an OT and was primarily an OT at Missouri.  

If he had refused to play inside during the draft process he would still have likely been gone by round 5, IMO

I think this year they will cross their fingers and play him at center regardless but his future as a Bill could be outside.

It would be a financial kick in the teeth to pay a swing tackle that kind of dough but he could also be much more than that..........tackle doesn't seem like a need now but that changes quickly..........but they really are pretty much locked in for 3 years with him so they may need pivot him from the pivot.    

The out with him comes after next year (5 million).  I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

23 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed.  Give him as much time to heal as possible.

i don't know the answer to this, but does taking more time off make you less susceptible to future concussions?  Of course you want him 100% when he returns, but regardless, he's just one more hit away from another.

18 minutes ago, klos63 said:

i don't know the answer to this, but does taking more time off make you less susceptible to future concussions?  Of course you want him 100% when he returns, but regardless, he's just one more hit away from another.

Yeah. It really worries me with him. He's obviously VERY susceptible to them and like someone else has said here, we don't know how much he hid symptoms last season because he wanted to get paid. I'm sure people will accuse me of being over dramatic, but if he goes out and gets a concussion early in the season, I think it could be it for him.

50 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

eh, we’ll never know, so this too is conjecture. Adding to him not playing in meaningless games is a concern of him battling a highly prized rookie DT who’s looking to make a huge name for himself and laughs when the Head Coach kicks him out of practice for crashing into ‘the Franchise’. Too bad Ducasse sucked even worse at Center. He could have lasted the whole preseason as Oliver Fodder..

If he is still in protocol, real or top secret fake protocol, through next week I don’t think it’s going out to far on a limb to say that it’s a substantial news event for preseason football. It’s not like resting a guy with a strained muscle or rolled ankle a few extra days. Telling the media he still can’t pass recovery tests after a month is noteworthy.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, klos63 said:

You are correct in that the more concussions you have the more susceptible you are to additional ones. Someone who isn’t fully healed - and has head trauma - that has  has even higher odds of another concussion though.  I guess you do what you can and hope for the best. Or you hang ‘em up.  

Edited by BarleyNY

1 minute ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I'm expecting a new fangled helmet when he's back. 

If it were that easy, everyone would be wearing them already. This sucks. I’m praying he can be all we had hoped for, but I’ll put the man ahead of the player. It was a gamble. We knew that. 

5 minutes ago, skibum said:

Just a quick reminder that none of us know anything about this situation. That is all.

Well, all we know is what we see. He’s not practicing nor did he play in the last game. There is a reason for that. We just don’t know the details of why and what the prognosis is. 

7 minutes ago, skibum said:

Just a quick reminder that none of us know anything about this situation. That is all.

We know he is under observation for a concussion and is not cleared to play...so we do know something

• Like (+1) 2

I mean, it’s possible he really is struggling to recover, but how many coaches wouldn’t love to have one of their star players sitting during pre-season? I have a feeling he’ll play in the third game, start practicing before it, and then play the opener without a problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, it’s possible he really is struggling to recover, but how many coaches wouldn’t love to have one of their star players sitting during pre-season? I have a feeling he’ll play in the third game, start practicing before it, and then play the opener without a problem.

That's what I'm hoping for

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

What?  None?

Particularly with a new acquisition on the OL.

The OL success is very much about cohesion and communication and that is best built thru live football.

No way McProcess sees this absence as a positive.     *At best* it's an unfortunate but necessitated inconvenience.