Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

28 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Morse had core surgery this offseason as well which the Bills may be giving as much time as possible to heal fully before the long season ahead. Just another angle that could be possibly playing into this.

Thanks.  Reminding me that this isn't close to his first off season injury makes me feel so much more nervous.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I remember when I was playing flag football and it was a rainy day and a guy from the other team hit me in the head with his knee after a sweep right. I saw that 250 lb RG just sliding on the slippery grass in slow motion and his knee just nailed me on my left temple. I got up, played 2 more plays and walked to the sideline where I couldn’t remember names of my friends that I have known for years. It took me like 5 days to start feeling normal again, the brain fog lasted 5 days were I just felt so horrible. If Mitch has had 5 of these or more we definitely have to get a plan B, C and D for the center position. 

Sounds familiar.  My concussion stories:

5 or 6 years old, just learned to ride a bike.  Riding down our street when something made me look back behind me, then things went blank.  Turns out when I was looking backwards, I ran into a parked car.  I was out cold, neighbor carried me home.

Age 15 or 16, playing touch football in the street.  Ran a play as a receiver and hit my head on the pavement.  Went back to the huddle, then just wandered back to the backyard, where I proceeded to pick a carrot from the garden I had planted.  Needless to say, the game ended at that point.

12 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

This is the stuff that bugs me about front office/pr people.    We support the team through thick and thin, but when something as critical this comes up, there should be more communication with the fans regarding the prognosis, his history w concussions, treatment protocol etc.

Morse is it for us this year.  We can't have Bodine getting steamrolled into Josh on every other play like last year.  We don't have depth at center, this isn't a minor thing.   Guys younger than Mitch retire over this condition.

Or maybe it IS minor, but we wouldn't know because there's no information coming our way.   

Reminds me of Donahoe/Gregggg era.   We don't deserve to know, as long as they know.  (p.s. thanks for the one way relationship)

You apparently have no idea what concussion protocol is. Teams aren't allowed to give information other than saying he is still in concussion protocol. That's part of the rules.

5 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Sounds familiar.  My concussion stories:

5 or 6 years old, just learned to ride a bike.  Riding down our street when something made me look back behind me, then things went blank.  Turns out when I was looking backwards, I ran into a parked car.  I was out cold, neighbor carried me home.

Age 15 or 16, playing touch football in the street.  Ran a play as a receiver and hit my head on the pavement.  Went back to the huddle, then just wandered back to the backyard, where I proceeded to pick a carrot from the garden I had planted.  Needless to say, the game ended at that point.

Nothing about hitting your head and blacking out is funny, but when you said you wandered into the back yard and ate a carrot that brought tears to my eyes. 

It is a scary feeling though. If they have gotten progressively worse where your not sure if you will get back mentally 100% I would definitely think about retiring.

6 hours ago, WickedGame said:

I had similar symptoms with my first concussion. Took a hard knock on the head, and just assumed I got my bell rung and that I’d shake it off after a bit of cursing. The thought of a concussion didn’t cross my mind. 

I didn’t get real concerned until about an hour later when I was riding in the car to dinner with my family. I got a little nauseous, and when my wife saw the look and my face and asked if I was okay, I couldn’t even spit out a sentence. Then when we got to the restaurant, I could read the menu and recognize the words, but I couldn’t process them. Can’t really find a better way to describe it. I would see the words “burger and fries,” and I knew I recognized the words, but I couldn’t put it together what those things were. I tried just pointing at a menu item, but the minute the waitress asked me a question, all I could do was mumble. All of this was happening in front of my 7-year-old son...pretty scary when you’re a kid to see that happening to your old man. My wife immediately took me to the hospital and they recognized a concussion almost right away. 

I know the feeling, I have two boys that are 13 and 8 and they look at you like your super man. My 8 year old always ask me if I can beat John  Cena and I just laugh. 

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I know the feeling, I have two boys that are 13 and 8 and they look at you like your super man. My 8 year old always ask me if I can beat John  Cena and I just laugh. 

You tell him "hell yeah, Cena sucks, anyone can beat him. He's just an old has been son"

7 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I remember when I was playing flag football and it was a rainy day and a guy from the other team hit me in the head with his knee after a sweep right. I saw that 250 lb RG just sliding on the slippery grass in slow motion and his knee just nailed me on my left temple. I got up, played 2 more plays and walked to the sideline where I couldn’t remember names of my friends that I have known for years. It took me like 5 days to start feeling normal again, the brain fog lasted 5 days were I just felt so horrible. If Mitch has had 5 of these or more we definitely have to get a plan B, C and D for the center position. 

While playing rugby in college I took a knee to the head along the sidelines and fell OB. I remember the coach standing over me yelling for me to get back on the field. I did not know they couldn’t stop play for you unless you were on the field.That “rang me bell” pretty good, and I needed directions back to the field. He had to point....I think I crawled. 

THAT was my last rugby game. I sure hope they have changed that rule. The very LAST thing you want is someone like that moving until you know what you’re dealing with! I never got the nausea, etc. but I did spend most of that summer in a neck brace for my efforts. Another time I got kicked in the head at Notre Dame and had a few bad days after that. Never went to a doctor. 

I’ll save you the trouble: That might explain a few things! 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We can send a man to the moon but we can't come up with a better helmet?

A better helmet is part of the problem. The  better the helmet the harder players hit. The more they feel protected the faster they play. 

On 8/1/2019 at 11:50 PM, Captain Murica said:

Morse needs to invest in the Kelso helmet

As I have reported before that helmet is not available.

Kelso in fact has recommended another helmet for which the manufacturers are having trouble getting leeway in NFL due to NFL equipment rules and pushback from NFLPA.

6 hours ago, iinii said:

A better helmet is part of the problem. The  better the helmet the harder players hit. The more they feel protected the faster they play. 

I agree with this 100%.  Take away some of that full body armor and I'm guessing players would be less-reckless with their bodies.

7 hours ago, iinii said:

There are better helmets which do not make better weapons but the NFL has not allowed it on approved list and the NFLPA has objected to any safety improvements.  For the NFL it appears it is just the bureaucracy and contracts with companies which pay endorsement deals. For NFLPA I am not sure, only thing which makes financial sense is players not able to make incentives in contracts other than the usual "make a change we want something in return even if it helps our members."

19 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

WGR talking how Morse might miss entire year.  Wondering if that is what is being talked about in Rochester around the campus.

WGR is probably just exploring all scenarios, I think this version of OBD has been pretty good at keeping things under wraps and I'd be surprised if there were leaks on medical evaluations.

That being said, would it really shock anybody if Morse sat out a year or called it quits? Morse just signed a huge deal, with a ton of guaranteed signing bonus money, and has his entire life ahead of him.

I know a lot of posters don't like to speculate on negative issues until they actually happen, and I respect that approach, but I think discussing issues from all angles is part of what makes a forum like this tick.

Regardless, I think Beane should be doing everything he can to find a decent backup for Morse. Bodine playing significant minutes would pretty much doom our Oline and hurt Allen's progression in his second year.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

As I have reported before that helmet is not available.

Kelso in fact has recommended another helmet for which the manufacturers are having trouble getting leeway in NFL due to NFL equipment rules and pushback from NFLPA.

i posed about this earlier in this thread... there ARE Better helmets out there, which absorb impact rather than just holding the head in place better and still allowing the full impact to reverberate through the helmet to the brain.

But the NFL And the NFLPA have been absurdly slow to pay attention to this technology shift... There is skepticism despite great lab results... but until someone takes a step and leap of faith and trys these helmets on a wider scale, no one will accept them.

Its a shame, there is something better out there but no one will move to use them.

23 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Where did you grow up?  When I was 15 in Queens, the school actually sponsored a full contact flag football league on cement, with no pads, helmets, or protection of any kind. This in freezing cold winters. They let us warm up at halftime in the locker room.

I must admit that I loved it but looking back, it was crazy.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

WGR talking how Morse might miss entire year.  Wondering if that is what is being talked about in Rochester around the campus.

I heard as well and thats not at all what the takeaway should have been.... but hey- that pot wont stir itself!!

Edited by gobills1212