Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You might be right AFL but that’s what’s scary about people who suffer multiple concussions.  They could sleep wrong and it could lead to one, much less play a sport where every play is described as a car crash. 

I would be really interested to know how much this played into KC not re-signing him. 

Interesting thought. It very well may have had a little something to do with it, but hopefully he will be fine and make it through the season without another one. I don't remember who KC replaced him with(will have to look it up), but maybe they were just wanting to move on to a younger player who won't cost them as much.

Don't really know their cap situation but the amount Morse is getting/or what he would have commanded from them may have had something to do with it as well. But yes, I agree it's very easy to get another concussion so maybe the Bills are playing it safe and resting him up real good IDK

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Interesting thought. It very well may have had a little something to do with it, but hopefully he will be fine and make it through the season without another one. I don't remember who KC replaced him with(will have to look it up), but maybe they were just wanting to move on to a younger player who won't cost them as much.

Don't really know their cap situation but the amount Morse is getting/or what he would have commanded from them may have had something to do with it as well. But yes, I agree it's very easy to get another concussion so maybe the Bills are playing it safe and resting him up real good IDK

Their upcoming cap situation gets tricky. Likely a combo of health and cost. Hard to let someone else walk for a high risk guy. Though I suppose tyreeks pretty high risk in his own way 

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Watch the embedded feature on the Bills YouTube channel; there's absolutely zero ambiguity regarding who's in charge of the draft.

Hint: it's not McDermott.

Embedded takes place after all the decisions have been made. They have already provided McDermott with their list of players and McDermott has already said which players he'd consider. This the way it works in most NFL organizations. You think they made decision on players in that moment?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Their upcoming cap situation gets tricky. Likely a combo of health and cost. Hard to let someone else walk for a high risk guy. Though I suppose tyreeks pretty high risk in his own way 

Between Mahomes, Hill and Chris Jones, they're looking at at least $70M/year alone in salary.

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Seems often when someone has a concussion, they are supposed to stay in a darkened room, try to minimize movement, etc.  Morse was reported on the sideline the last two practices at camp.

Makes me think this is a training camp level concussion. Not saying it's fake at all, but more like Morse told them I bumped my head a little.  Great just to be extra safe, we'll put you in protocol.  If this were regular season, he'd be playing.

I really hope this is the case. A great excuse to rest a seasoned player.

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Seems often when someone has a concussion, they are supposed to stay in a darkened room, try to minimize movement, etc.  Morse was reported on the sideline the last two practices at camp.

Makes me think this is a training camp level concussion. Not saying it's fake at all, but more like Morse told them I bumped my head a little.  Great just to be extra safe, we'll put you in protocol.  If this were regular season, he'd be playing.

Not every concussion has light sensitivity. They all can vary, though that is a common symptom.

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

Embedded takes place after all the decisions have been made. They have already provided McDermott with their list of players and McDermott has already said which players he'd consider. This the way it works in most NFL organizations. You think they made decision on players in that moment?

Anyone who thinks a modern major league sports franchise leaves big decisions to a  single guy is misinformed.

I assure you it's very much a team/group affair.

Sure, someone has to have final sign-off at the end, but it's a team sport.

49 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Anyone who thinks a modern major league sports franchise leaves big decisions to a  single guy is misinformed.

I assure you it's very much a team/group affair.

Sure, someone has to have final sign-off at the end, but it's a team sport.

We believe the same thing. Anyone who believe Beane was making all the decision on draft night is misinformed.

16 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Protocols for concussions have changed over the years and non-contact exercise is recommended I believe.

Light sensitivity is a common symptom, but I don't think light is something to avoid.

I would be shocked if the Bills training staff is not current on latest treatment protocols. These players are multi-million dollar investments.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Protocols for concussions have changed over the years and non-contact exercise is recommended I believe.

Light sensitivity is a common symptom, but I don't think light is something to avoid.

I would be shocked if the Bills training staff is not current on latest treatment protocols. These players are multi-million dollar investments.

There are phases or steps to recovery.   It’s not just stay in a dark room and then when that’s over you are good to go. Exercise starts about half way I think.   

23 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So I think this guy may be a bit of an iconoclast (for example, I don't think it's widely accepted that one concussion does not make you more susceptible to another), but his group has published a lot about concussion recovery where fundamentally they encourage the patients to perform controlled exercises to retrain the injured parts of their brain.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1928476/new-science-concussion-recovery

Anyway, the bottom line is that the darkened room, minimize movement stuff is apparently outdated.  But I also agree with you that if Morse's concussion were very serious he wouldn't be running ladder drills on the sidelines.

This is the stuff that bugs me about front office/pr people.    We support the team through thick and thin, but when something as critical this comes up, there should be more communication with the fans regarding the prognosis, his history w concussions, treatment protocol etc.

Morse is it for us this year.  We can't have Bodine getting steamrolled into Josh on every other play like last year.  We don't have depth at center, this isn't a minor thing.   Guys younger than Mitch retire over this condition.

Or maybe it IS minor, but we wouldn't know because there's no information coming our way.   

Reminds me of Donahoe/Gregggg era.   We don't deserve to know, as long as they know.  (p.s. thanks for the one way relationship)

7 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

This is the stuff that bugs me about front office/pr people.    We support the team through thick and thin, but when something as critical this comes up, there should be more communication with the fans regarding the prognosis, his history w concussions, treatment protocol etc.

Morse is it for us this year.  We can't have Bodine getting steamrolled into Josh on every other play like last year.  We don't have depth at center, this isn't a minor thing.   Guys younger than Mitch retire over this condition.

Or maybe it IS minor, but we wouldn't know because there's no information coming our way.   

Reminds me of Donahoe/Gregggg era.   We don't deserve to know, as long as they know.  (p.s. thanks for the one way relationship)

You're complaining about the wrong people. Sort of.

In reality, the team, including the PR who frame HOW the message gets out, not so much WHAT they're allowed to say, would prefer to release nothing.

It's a fight between legal (HIPAA, NFLPA, NFL proper) and the gambling consortium.

Gambling, big money, wants to know who's injured, the extent, etc. so they can properly assess their risk and lines.

HIPAA has rules on what can be released reference medical information. NFL Players Association (NFLPA) have their own agreement with NFL proper as to how much/when/& what is acceptable inside the HIPAA overarching requirements. NFL proper negotiates with gambling consortium to meet gambling consortium requests while maintaining NFL's desires and messages and also staying in line with HIPAA laws and NFLPA agreement. 

A public affairs team gets the info, is informed what is legally allowed to be released (based on the above HIPAA, NFL agreements and NFLPA agreements) as well as what they MUST release (again, based on NFL agreements with gambling - among others, but mostly gambling even under other names) as directed by NFL, and then they frame HOW and WHEN to release inside those directives.

Edited by timekills17
  • Like (+1) 2

I remember when I was playing flag football and it was a rainy day and a guy from the other team hit me in the head with his knee after a sweep right. I saw that 250 lb RG just sliding on the slippery grass in slow motion and his knee just nailed me on my left temple. I got up, played 2 more plays and walked to the sideline where I couldn’t remember names of my friends that I have known for years. It took me like 5 days to start feeling normal again, the brain fog lasted 5 days were I just felt so horrible. If Mitch has had 5 of these or more we definitely have to get a plan B, C and D for the center position. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I remember when I was playing flag football and it was a rainy day and a guy from the other team hit me in the head with his knee after a sweep right. I saw that 250 lb RG just sliding on the slippery grass in slow motion and his knee just nailed me on my left temple. I got up, played 2 more plays and walked to the sideline where I couldn’t remember names of my friends that I have known for years. It took me like 5 days to start feeling normal again, the brain fog lasted 5 days were I just felt so horrible. If Mitch has had 5 of these or more we definitely have to get a plan B, C and D for the center position. 

Wow. :(

18 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I really hope this is the case. A great excuse to rest a seasoned player.

Yet he is supposed to anchor a brand new offensive line.....and work with Allen so it can't be just resting a seasoned vet

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yet he is supposed to anchor a brand new offensive line.....and work with Allen so it can't be just resting a seasoned vet

They can practice all they want. Just avoid getting whacked in the head in a meaningless preseason game. What I worry about is every other team will be aiming for Morse's head now.

11 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I had similar symptoms with my first concussion. Took a hard knock on the head, and just assumed I got my bell rung and that I’d shake it off after a bit of cursing. The thought of a concussion didn’t cross my mind. 

I didn’t get real concerned until about an hour later when I was riding in the car to dinner with my family. I got a little nauseous, and when my wife saw the look and my face and asked if I was okay, I couldn’t even spit out a sentence. Then when we got to the restaurant, I could read the menu and recognize the words, but I couldn’t process them. Can’t really find a better way to describe it. I would see the words “burger and fries,” and I knew I recognized the words, but I couldn’t put it together what those things were. I tried just pointing at a menu item, but the minute the waitress asked me a question, all I could do was mumble. All of this was happening in front of my 7-year-old son...pretty scary when you’re a kid to see that happening to your old man. My wife immediately took me to the hospital and they recognized a concussion almost right away. 

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

And what if you knew more? Then all our opponents will know as well. When Bill Belichick is an open book then we can be one too.

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Oh man