Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, teams are allowed to go after a signing bonus if the player retires. 

The reverse is also true: if the player does not retire, the team is not allowed to go after his signing bonus.

The "injury settlement" Wood reached with the Bills would depend upon the details of his contract, but likely had to do with Wood being released in the 2018 league year but agreeing to forgo any guarantees for injury to his 2018 salary.

Hopefully Morse will recover and play, but if he does not....I guarantee you he won't be retiring, just for the reason above.

If he doesn't retire, he'll be expected to play. 

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa .... slow your roll, tough guy.  You're talking to ROYALTY, there.

One thing you have to learn:  a) nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knows more about football than that guy.  And b) he's untouchable, ya know.  Just ask him.  Runs this place, he does.  It's what football geniuses do, man.  They run stuff.

He is Hindu and is caste-less?  It makes complete sense now.

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

He needs Kelso’s helmet.

Kelso’s helmet is no longer made and even if Kelso kept and was willing to give it to him I doubt it would fit.  I think one of them is in Hall of Fame.

There have been several companies which have made helmets which reportedly help reduce number and severity of concussions but then you run into the NFL rules nazis and NFLPA who object to nearly everything.  

Here is old article on one Kelso endorsed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000345553/article/former-bills-db-mark-kelso-backs-company-developing-helmet-cap

And to repeat previous information provided "No, Kelso never had a recognized concussion post wearing the ProCap".  I got that directly from retired Bills trainer Edward Abramoski at a tailgate he attended with my Bills Backers group.

Here is another story on helmet maker trying to break into NFL business:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-football-helmet-concussions-20180131-story.html

6 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Him: "Lets not fly off the handle over an injury that will not cause him to miss a game"

You: Precedes to fly off the handle   

?? for totally missing the point.  Yea you!

Honorable mention for using "precedes" when you mean "proceeds"

[The guy has a huge history of concussions causing him to miss large chunks of the season.  If he's to the point where a single practice in pads can concuss him, he could well one hit away from a Kolb, missing the rest of the games]

2 hours ago, Doc said:

If he doesn't retire, he'll be expected to play. 

If he's not medically cleared, he can't play. 

A team can not force someone to retire just because he isn't medically cleared to play.

Why is this such a challenge to understand here?

5 hours ago, fansince88 said:

15 pages and no points made worth reading?

What's Your Point?

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

?? for totally missing the point.  Yea you!

Honorable mention for using "precedes" when you mean "proceeds"

[The guy has a huge history of concussions causing him to miss large chunks of the season.  If he's to the point where a single practice in pads can concuss him, he could well one hit away from a Kolb, missing the rest of the games]

A team can not force someone to retire just because he isn't medically cleared to play.

What's Your Point?

My bad, I forgot posting on a message board is an academic exercise requiring exact precision.  Way to be “that guy.”

But for real. Most of his concussions are more than a year out. They matter, sure, but after a year the chance of repeat conspicuous dramatically decreases. In any event, the force of the hit doesn’t necessarily equal an increased chance of a conclusion. It is actually a luck of the draw thing in that sense. It is not relevant that it happened after one practice. That does not indicate other equally light hits will later cause concussions. Hence, why this all just so dramatic. 

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So if a guy never gets medically cleared and is told he needs to retire?

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

So if a guy never gets medically cleared and is told he needs to retire?

You either cut him, or let him sit on IR

just like you can be fired but not forced to retire.

Edited by NoSaint

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You either cut him, or let him sit on IR

just like you can be fired but not forced to retire.

Not a chance they cut him, at least before 2021

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Or you reach an injury settlement.

Which 5 minutes into his contract and being hurt at a team event would be paying him the guaranteed money. Essentially. 

For practical purposes if he was told it’s all done tomorrow he’d sit on IR this year and get cut next and get all his guarantees. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What's Your Point?

My point is simple. People are on here arguing about if they should cut a guy that is in step 2 or 3 of the CP on the 1st of August. ANYONE can get a concussion.  He has had 2 I believe. And 16 pages into it now arguing about a point that may be senseless in a day or two. That is all Im saying. 

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Which 5 minutes into his contract and being hurt at a team event would be paying him the guaranteed money. Essentially. 

For practical purposes if he was told it’s all done tomorrow he’d sit on IR this year and get cut next and get all his guarantees. 

If that were the case, you would never hear about injury settlements.

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It’s just comical because I remember discussing with somebody just days ago that the minute something even slightly negative happen they’ll be some sharks to the blood so to speak, telling “I told you so”....

I would say this development is quite a bit worse than "slightly negative." Morse was the top FA acquisition and the gamble of signing him was that his concussion history wouldn't be a major issue going forward.

Time will tell if it's a major issue or not; hopefully it's just an overabundance of caution. But another series of concussions or worse yet, a shortened career, would be a huge blow to Beane.

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

But for real. Most of his concussions are more than a year out. They matter, sure, but after a year the chance of repeat conspicuous dramatically decreases. 

Hmmm....link?

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

If that were the case, you would never hear about injury settlements.

Theres also a reason you rarely rarely hear about them.

Tell me this doc- suppose you sign a big contract with a team and immediately are catastrophically injured in the act of performing your job duties and will never play again. Why would you forego your guaranteed dollars you just negotiated and signed to protect you in this very situation?

Now if Morse was a fringe roster guy that wanted time to latch on with another team and recoup some money while getting some game tape for his next opportunity, and the bills had no intention of paying him all season - both sides have motivation to negotiate a release in exchange for a little less money than the anticipated amount of riding out an IR stint.

52 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

My point is simple. People are on here arguing about if they should cut a guy that is in step 2 or 3 of the CP on the 1st of August. ANYONE can get a concussion.  He has had 2 I believe. And 16 pages into it now arguing about a point that may be senseless in a day or two. That is all Im saying. 

To be fair, I’m just arguing that Doc is being silly, not that I think his career is over.

though there are big red flags waving and I do think seeing him play 4 years without further head injury would be mostly luck.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Theres also a reason you rarely rarely hear about them.

Tell me this doc- suppose you sign a big contract with a team and immediately are catastrophically injured in the act of performing your job duties and will never play again. Why would you forego your guaranteed dollars you just negotiated and signed to protect you in this very situation?

Now if Morse was a fringe roster guy that wanted time to latch on with another team and recoup some money while getting some game tape for his next opportunity, and the bills had no intention of paying him all season - both sides have motivation to negotiate a release in exchange for a little less money than the anticipated amount of riding out an IR stint.

I'm not talking about a guy on season-ending IR: I'm talking about a guy who is being told he needs to retire.  Wood wasn't a fringe player and negotiated an injury settlement when you and Hap are saying that all he had to do was ride out his time on IR.

And take Michael Thomas.  He's getting almost $61M guaranteed.  If he had to retire tomorrow, you think he's getting all $61M?

Edited by Doc

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, I’m just arguing that Doc is being silly, not that I think his career is over.

though there are big red flags waving and I do think seeing him play 4 years without further head injury would be mostly luck.

I agree!

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm not talking about a guy on season-ending IR: I'm talking about a guy who is being told he needs to retire.  Wood wasn't a fringe player and negotiated an injury settlement when you and Hap are saying that all he had to do was ride out his time on IR.

Riding out his time on IR means being a part of the team and doing ( limited ) work, but includes all team activities. If ( a huge IF right now ) an Eric Wood type scenario were to develop , and Morse was told he would never play for the Bills there would be motivation on both sides to reach an injury settlement. The Bills to pay less money , and for Morse his “ freedom” amongst other things. I believe such a settlement would be a likely end in a case like that. I certainly hope it doesn’t happen. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I have a Q: Are you formerly Allan, or formerly in MD?

Inquiring minds want to know ?

When I initially started posting I was Allan in MD.  Then something I likely did screwed up my account and I was no longer able to post.  So I decided to post as Formerly Allan in MD.  I haven't changed my given name and remain in Maryland.