Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Bodice blows, but the overreaction to Morse is comedic gold.

There is no need to overreact till there is a need to overreact.

There is no need to overreact then either.    It's just entertainment.

But there is also no need to give anyone in the Bills organization the benefit of the doubt.............it's pro football and for these guys it's time to start winning.   Excuse time is over.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

There is no need to overreact then either.    It's just entertainment.

But there is also no need to give anyone in the Bills organization the benefit of the doubt.............it's pro football and for these guys it's time to start winning.   Excuse time is over.

I ain’t making excuses.

Its August 1st, no need to fly off the handle about anything.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I ain’t making excuses.

Generally agree.  However, any concussion is a concern.  Given Morse’s history, it should be a huge concern.   If he was a punter, I’d be less worried.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I ain’t making excuses.

Who is flying off the handle?

We made Morse the 6th highest paid center in the league with big guaranteed money

A rookie QB's best friends are a great center, and a great rungame (the former leading to the latter)

Morse big "red flag" has been missing significant time due to concussion

For him to be in concussion protocol after one (1) is legit worrisome

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Has Mitch ever played RT or RG because I think at this point that’s where he needs to be. Centers hike the ball and then they are helmet to helmet right off the snap. I would take a healthy good RT or RG for 3 years over a injured center. I think at this point with all the concussions that he’s had it’s too serious not to overlook the possibility of a position change.

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Has Mitch ever played RT or RG because I think at this point that’s where he needs to be. Centers hike the ball and then they are helmet to helmet right off the snap. I would take a healthy good RT or RG for 3 years over a injured center. I think at this point with all the concussions that he’s had it’s too serious not to overlook the possibility of a position change.

He belongs off the football field.  Something clearly isn't right.

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is flying off the handle?

We made Morse the 6th highest paid center in the league with big guaranteed money

A rookie QB's best friends are a great center, and a great rungame (the former leading to the latter)

Morse big "red flag" has been missing significant time due to concussion

For him to be in concussion protocol after one (1) is legit worrisome

Him: "Lets not fly off the handle over an injury that will not cause him to miss a game"

You: Precedes to fly off the handle  

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Player physical  prior to employment with the bills.  Ever had a physical before any employment dude.

Wow that’s stupid. We’re talking about concussions here genius. What’s a team physical going to show them that they don’t already know? His previous concussions (during his time in the league at least) were common knowledge. It’s pretty well accepted that susceptibility to traumatic head injuries increases as you sustain them. Bills knew this and for SURE their doctors knew this. They signed him anyways FULLY aware of the enhanced risks with this guy. So again, how’s this the doctors’ faults?

I can’t believe I just had to explain this to you DUDE. 

14 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’d be curious the math on this:

sammys 4th and 5th year, and 2 years of Dareus vs 2 years of Benjamin, Starr AND the dareus dead space.

It's more than just math.  Dareus needed to go.  The Bills gave him an full off-season and half the season to change his ways.  He got his fat contract and then started doing just enough to keep cashing his paychecks.  Besides his value now, being a run stopper, didn't manifest itself with the Jags last year and the Bills' run defense in terms of YPR actually was (slightly) better than the Jags' was.  As for Sammy, sure his 4h year salary would have been cheap.  But they knew they weren't going to option him because they saw that he's just a #2 WR/decoy, so the smart move was to trade him for what they could get, which was a 2nd rounder and EJ Gaines, a major contributor to that 2017 playoff season.  Then there's Gilmore, who wouldn't have changed the defense while eating up a lot of cap space. 

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sammy?   If I had my way I pick up his 5th year option for 2018 and then make that decision this past winter.

Gilmore has been one of the top 2-3 CB's in football since 2017.........Tre White is coming off a down year.

I had White as the top CB in that draft class..........but I would have taken Mahomes with the pick instead of trading it and taking White......... and that would have transformed the franchise and the picks and players I saved not chasing a 2018 draft class QB would have helped me improve the roster.

Dareus' base salary the past two years was around $9M........not $17M......he was never going to see those big base salary numbers at the very end of his deal...........$17M is more like the cost of eating Dareus dead money PLUS paying Star Lotulelei to be a traffic cone.:lol:

See above.  And sure, everyone wanted Mahomes now. :lol:

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Signing bonus is the least of it here.  $20.4M fully guaranteed at signing, including $11M signing bonus.

But he's not going to retire just for that reason, no more than Eric Wood did

If his doctors are telling him him to retire, like Wood's were, and he retires, like Wood did, he'll have to pay back signing bonus, like Wood did.

That he hasn't been told he needs to retire after this latest concussion makes the discussion moot at present.  Let's hope he doesn't miss any real games.  In the meantime, they need to get their contingency plans at center (Long would be my choice) ready.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

If his doctors are telling him him to retire, like Wood's were, and he retires, like Wood did, he'll have to pay back signing bonus, like Wood did.

Show me where Wood paid back his signing bonus OR retired.  He didn't, and he didn't:
" He reached an injury settlement with the Bills on May 31, 2018, and was officially released.[23] "
Team releases ya due to failing a physical (what happened with Wood), you aren't retired, you're released, and the signing bonus is YOURS.

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

That he hasn't been told he needs to retire after this latest concussion makes the discussion moot at present.  Let's hope he doesn't miss any real games.  In the meantime, they need to get their contingency plans at center (Long would be my choice) ready.

Think about that for a minute.  Long was released as a center by the Jets less than a year after he signed a 4 year, $28M contract. 

That's when we signed him at a fire-sale price of 3 year, $12.6M

That's the same Jets who just persuaded Ryan Khalil to un-retire because they'e so desperate at center, after releasing Long whom the decided was too bad to play center for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Show me where Wood paid back his signing bonus OR retired.  He didn't, and he didn't:
" He reached an injury settlement with the Bills on May 31, 2018, and was officially released.[23] "
Team releases ya due to failing a physical (what happened with Wood), you aren't retired, you're released, and the signing bonus is YOURS.

Think about that for a minute.  Long was released as a center by the Jets less than a year after he signed a 4 year, $28M contract. 

That's the same Jets who just persuaded Ryan Khalil to un-retire because they'e so desperate at center, after releasing Long whom the decided was too bad to play center for them.

Long was hurt last year though.  Hard to play C effectively with a bad hand.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In an injury settlement, you don't get all the money due to you had you otherwise played.  And teams are allowed to go after signing bonus if a player retires.  Maybe they didn't go after all they could have in Wood's case because he was a long-time team leader, but that's not the case with Morse.

Long was injured last year and due $3M 3 days after the Super Bowl.  And they probably regret letting him go, considering they need to turn to a guy who will be a disaster for them.

Edited by Doc

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

In an injury settlement, you don't get all the money due to you had you otherwise played.  And teams are allowed to go after signing bonus if a player retires.  Maybe they didn't go after all they could have in Wood's case because he was a long-time team leader, but that's not the case with Morse.

Long was injured last year and due $3M 3 days after the Super Bowl.  And they probably regret letting him go, considering they need to turn to a guy who will be a disaster for them.

Yes, teams are allowed to go after a signing bonus if the player retires. 

The reverse is also true: if the player does not retire, the team is not allowed to go after his signing bonus.

The "injury settlement" Wood reached with the Bills would depend upon the details of his contract, but likely had to do with Wood being released in the 2018 league year but agreeing to forgo any guarantees for injury to his 2018 salary.

Hopefully Morse will recover and play, but if he does not....I guarantee you he won't be retiring, just for the reason above.

8 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

This thread is like Morse Code in the dark.  Let's just cross fingers.

I have a Q: Are you formerly Allan, or formerly in MD?

Inquiring minds want to know ?

Edited by Joe in Winslow