Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

The guy has 74 starts in his career.  Where are you going to find a more experienced center than Bodine.

I sometimes feel people don't even watch the games or expect perfection out of every player.

Bodine was more than serviceable last year with some of the worst guards the NFL has seen.

Wasnt it Bodine that repeatedly  couldn't get the snap high enough to the QB in the shotgun?  Maybe it was Groy but it was absurd to watch.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

It's an observation of Beane's style.  In his two plus years as GM, he's repeatedly gambled on players coming off injuries or with injury histories.  He's also traded up to draft "project players" in the first round.   The high risk/high reward game that Beane's played hasn't had a lot of success so far.  That could change but at this point, it's been all high risk without real success yet.

Again, every player in the league--especially guys that enter FA--have some sort of injury history.  Also, every drafted player, from the first round to the seventh, is a project. There is no such thing as a safe pick.  Beane has not played any more a high risk/high reward game than any other GM in the league. And no success? They broke the playoff drought two years ago, they had the number 2 Defense in the league last year, and now they have all the building blocks and cap space needed to build a long-term successful team. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Again, every player in the league--especially guys that enter FA--have some sort of injury history.  Also, every drafted player, from the first round to the seventh, is a project. There is no such thing as a safe pick.  Beane has not played any more a high risk/high reward game than any other GM in the league. And no success? They broke the playoff drought two years ago, they had the number 2 Defense in the league last year, and now they have all the building blocks and cap space needed to build a long-term successful team. 

McDermott and Whaley broke the drought. Beane continues to sign junk. He's clearly a nepotism hire and if not for McDermott he'd still be 3rd in Carolina. No one was looking to hire Beane.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I know.... It's akin to your love of EJ back in 2013. 

Everyone knew he sucked, except you. It was so cute! ?

What a tool, rooting for the starting Bills QB....Lets run him out of here!!! 

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

We paid big money for a finesse center who has had problems staying on the field. This is his third documented concussion in the last couple of years. Hopefully he’s OK though I worry he’s going to be more prone to future concussions now that he’s had a few. It’s not great.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Like someone else already said give him the Mark Kelso version.  

The sad thing is NFL talks about all this player safety stuff, there are better helmets out there but because of Sponsorships and such wont allow them to be worn.

Amateur and Pro offensive personnel decisions under McBeane were mediocre in 2017-18.  I put much of that on McD's decision to rebuild the defense first, which left fewer UFA dollars for offense.  It's why the offense was historically inept last season.

It's not just letting Watkins and Woods go. It's not just starting Peterman to begin 2018. It's not just the 2017 and 18 UFA groups.  It's that they thought they could get by offensively without really investing in upgrades on that side of the ball the first 2 off-seasons of this rebuild. 

The 2019 offensive UFAs better be a home run to make up for the previous 2 years.  Kroft and Morse being hurt this early is another red flag on this leadership group.

I get that people want to trust these guys until it's abundantly clear they failed.  They talk a good game, but a fan can start hedging their bets on McBeane three off-seasons into their tenure. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I missed something .........

Is Morse out for the year?

?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Mitch pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

The guy has 74 starts in his career.  Where are you going to find a more experienced center than Bodine.

I sometimes feel people don't even watch the games or expect perfection out of every player.

Bodine was more than serviceable last year with some of the worst guards the NFL has seen.

If Bodine was 'more than serviceable' Why did OBD seem to make it a priority acquiring a top center? 

The guard play had nothing to do with Bodine. I don't remember him pulling to help the guards out.

Like Eric Wood had to do at times in his career. Bodine is a JAG second  string depth player. That's it. 

Edited by Best Player Available
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, Best Player Available said:

If Bodine was 'more than serviceable' Why did OBD seem to make it a priority acquiring a top center? 

The guard play had nothimg to do with Bodine. I don't remember him pulling to help the guards out.

Like Eric Wood had to do at times n his career. Bodine is a JAG second  string depth player. That's it. 

There aren't 32 "starting caliber" Centers in the NFL IMO... Bodine was a bottom 10 starter at Center for sure, but the Bills went out and added Morse because he's a sure fire starting Center.  As far as a backup center, Bodine is probably one of the best in the NFL ... as far as a starter, he's one of the worst in the NFL...

If this Morse concussion protocol thing is an actual concern and not just a way to allow a vet to work on his own away from contact... then I would keep Bodine.  You're better off having a guy who COULD start rather than someone like Long who is probably going to be your starting OG, and is a piss poor Center... 

If you dump Bodine, and Morse goes down, you need to move Long from OG (his natural position) to C, and now you have upset 2 different spots on the O-Line rather than just plugging and playing Bodine and keeping the rest of the line intact.  

I agree with you, I think Bodine was below average, and his ratings on PFF Showed that, but I'd still rather have him and not need him than need him and not have him.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought there was a hyperbaric chamber or room full in the new training center?  Not sure sleeping in it is the recommended treatment duration....though I believe Alex Smith sleeps in one. 

Not going to go plowing through the Bills web site to find the pics, but it does highlight the paradox of building a SOFTA training center then training away from it.

Yes they do have a hyperbaric chamber room in the new facility but of course you want players to sleep at home not during the day at the facility.    Some players have them in their homes.   But I think what fans sometimes don't realize is that these are still just people living in real-time like everyone else and they don't always do a great job of health maintenance away from the facility.   Every player is different.   A guy with concussion issues and a guaranteed $30M coming in should probably have one and use it.

2 hours ago, ALF said:

In practice they tried Feliciano  and  Long  at Center. 

Counting Morse they have at least 4 guys with starting experience as centers in the NFL.    It's not like they are picking from the practice squad.   But part of the problem with tearing down rosters to get "your guys" is you have to take shortcuts in pro personnel just to get your talent back to square one and that creates a lot of opportunity for mistakes.    The near complete absence of success in pro personnel matters since Beane has taken over is very concerning.   Hopefully some of this massive UFA class changes that but this is not a good start.     

2 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Bodine was a better center than Groy, but he was thrown on his a** back in to Allen on a number of plays and as for pulling or pancaking a defender who leaped up to tip a ball the way Wood could do - fahgettaboutit.  Bodine as a center is the equivalent of people who are enthused about Foster as a WR - he looks so promising until you compare him to players who ARE the "real deal"

Clue: if Bodine was "more than serviceable" and the problem was the guards flanking him, do you think Beane would have backed up the Brinks Truck and taken a risk on the oft-concussed Morse in the off season?

• Like (+1) 1