Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think the big difference is that Centers' heads collide with others' heads on nearly every play.

If Luke Keuchly was a center, he'd be dead by now.

People like Keuchly have more impactful hits than Morse.  Morse is lined up with his guy, Keuchly comes in running a lot.  

According to the Washington Post, cornerbacks and WR get the most concussions.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There it is. Just like clockwork. 

Yep.  I knew that he would reply with something like this soon.  I mean, you just know.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

People like Keuchly have more impactful hits than Morse.  Morse is lined up with his guy, Keuchly comes in running a lot.  

According to the Washington Post, cornerbacks and WR get the most concussions.

I'd agree that CBs and WRs get the most concussions that rock their worlds to where they need help walking.

But I still think the constant head-to-head contact by linemen is more dangerous, even though we might not see them sitting on the field crying for their moms.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep.  I knew that he would reply with something like this soon.  I mean, you just know.

The rest of the gang will be around shortly. The bat signal has been sent. And with so little negative news six days into camp, it should be a banner rag session.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I swear there was just a debate over the concussion concerns being overrated.  Head injuries should never be underrated.  He literally could get touched the wrong way and it could cause a concussion.  Very good player but this is terrible news.  The other thing you have to think about is what his family starts to think.  Is it worth it any more?  Sad.

Probably not. Sucks because he is a good player but that was a worrisome history. 

He just signed a 40 million dollar contact and probably wants to collect

If he retired he will not see the majority

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be entirely fair, if he has another concussion and his doctors think he should retire, and he thinks he should retire, he's better off walking away from $30M than playing and suffering the consequences ... it's not like he isn't set for life as it is.

Any idea of what centers could be available if they don’t like what they get from Long/Feliciano? I don’t think they would but who knows.

I think if this does become a longer term issue, they move Ford to Guard to strengthen the interior, Nsekhe to RT, and then Feliciano and Long battle for center. I don’t think Bodine sticks around regardless. He’s maybe our 6th best interior lineman (Morse, Spain, Long, Feliciano, Teller).

I’m just happy because I feel like they have the depth to make up for his loss at least for a short time. I also think Feliciano could be a dark horse for the starting center gig. 

Edited by Dkollidas

5 minutes ago, MR8 said:

To be entirely fair, if he has another concussion and his doctors think he should retire, and he thinks he should retire, he's better off walking away from $30M than playing and suffering the consequences ... it's not like he isn't set for life as it is.

That is also entirely true. But as someone who played, coached and scouted for 30 years you understand the risks of the game

If his doctors say he NEEDS to retire, go for it. If he is still able , he probably wants to play because he is a football player and that what they do

They play till they are broken

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

That is also entirely true. But as someone who played, coached and scouted for 30 years you understand the risks of the game

If his doctors say he NEEDS to retire, go for it. If he is still able , he probably wants to play because he is a football player and that what they do

They play till they are broken

This entire post reads as you just wanting to talk about you...

My point is the guy will leave money on the table if it's whats best for his long term health.  So how much money is left on the contract is irrelevant.

If you are trying to make the argument that football players love to play and play for precisely that, the love of playing, yeah I get that, and the fact that he's still playing after multiple concussions is largely an example of both that and his desire to get his big pay day he had coming...

HOWEVER there is a point when your health and life outside football trumps football & money... Where that is for Morse, who knows... but it could be next year, could be 2 years, could be 10 years.  All depends on how many more injuries he sustains, how his body feels, how he plays, and what He, his family & Doctors think...  My point is we cant predict any of that... so feasibly he could go out week 1 take a good shot to the head, and hang em up before week 2... or he could play until he's 37.  

So it's a legitimate thing to discuss that he could get to a point sooner rather than later where he wants to hang em up.

5 minutes ago, MR8 said:

This entire post reads as you just wanting to talk about you...

My point is the guy will leave money on the table if it's whats best for his long term health.  So how much money is left on the contract is irrelevant.

If you are trying to make the argument that football players love to play and play for precisely that, the love of playing, yeah I get that, and the fact that he's still playing after multiple concussions is largely an example of both that and his desire to get his big pay day he had coming...

HOWEVER there is a point when your health and life outside football trumps football & money... Where that is for Morse, who knows... but it could be next year, could be 2 years, could be 10 years.  All depends on how many more injuries he sustains, how his body feels, how he plays, and what He, his family & Doctors think...  My point is we cant predict any of that... so feasibly he could go out week 1 take a good shot to the head, and hang em up before week 2... or he could play until he's 37.  

So it's a legitimate thing to discuss that he could get to a point sooner rather than later where he wants to hang em up.

I could care less about me ,  I just know how the game works

He's a football player who should love the game. Every player gets hurt. It's a prerequisite

If he actually thought he was 1 concussion from retiring he should have hung them up and preserved his health because it is more than likely coming

every player knows the Risks , especially lineman

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I could care less about me

He's a football player who should love the game. Every player gets hurt. It's a prerequisite

If he actually thought he was 1 concussion from retiring he should have hung them up and preserved his health because it is more than likely coming

every player knows the Risks , especially lineman

Okay but what if he thought he was fine, but the next concussion changes his mind?  Are you saying you know 100% what's going through the man's mind?  Or what will be going through his mind if he gets hurt again?  Did you know when we signed Asiata he was going to retire?  I'm pretty sure when he signed the deal like 4 days ago he thought he was gonna play football... then changed his mind on a dime.

Look the point I'm making is you don't know... I don't know... no one knows... Morse doesn't necessarily even know what will go through his mind if he gets another concussion... these things change guys minds on playing quickly... we've seen a rash of YOUNG players just suddenly walk away because they see the potential losses in quality of life after football.

You can make all the tough guy talk comments you want about "football players play football and know the risks" etc... but it's being proven now with guys walking away from big contracts that money and football aren't the end all be all for these guys anymore.  There certainly is love and passion for the game, but there's also an eye to quality of life after the game. 

That's where the risks you mention and the rewards of money, playing the game you love, glory of winning etc. get weighed out and sometimes the risks simply don't out weigh the rewards. Only he can decide that...  pretending you know what he thinks is just silly, unless you're Mitch Morse and you didn't tell anyone... In which case, get your ass back to camp and stop posting on a damn message board ;) 

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I could be wrong, but my guess is, if this was the regular season, he would be playing and no one would even know he had a concussion.  Best to take precaution in training camp, but I guarantee many concussions still go unreported every week in the NFL.

I don't believe that the teams the can decide to put not put a player in concussion protocol during games.  I believe that's a league call.  I think the doctor who's on call for concussions is not a team employee so he's independent.

3 hours ago, AllensBigBalls said:

What would be the positive spin on this I wonder?  Signing an injury prone player and he gets hurt on the 4th day in camp with an injury related to the injury prone concerns. This is almost as bad as Holcomb slipping on the mat, then later falling in the shower and whacking his head then having to retire.  Can't help but feel like this player is damaged goods, and may never be able to be counted upon to be available.  This is very bad news, not to be swept under the rug IMO.

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Kelly Holcomb, gone too soon. Probably the craziest way to lose a QB lol.

It was Kevin Kolb in 2013 not Kelly Holcomb who tripped on the mat and having to retire -- unless that also happened to Holcomb earlier.

Edited by SoTier

Just now, MR8 said:

Okay but what if he thought he was fine, but the next concussion changes his mind?  Are you saying you know 100% what's going through the man's mind?  Or what will be going through his mind if he gets hurt again?  Did you know when we signed Asiata he was going to retire?  I'm pretty sure when he signed the deal like 4 days ago he thought he was gonna play football... then changed his mind on a dime.

Look the point I'm making is you don't know... I don't know... no one knows... Morse doesn't necessarily even know what will go through his mind if he gets another concussion... these things change guys minds on playing quickly... we've seen a rash of YOUNG players just suddenly walk away because they see the potential losses in quality of life after football.

You can make all the tough guy talk comments you want about "football players play football and know the risks" etc... but it's being proven now with guys walking away from big contracts that money and football aren't the end all be all for these guys anymore.  There certainly is love and passion for the game, but there's also an eye to quality of life after the game. 

That's where the risks you mention and the rewards of money, playing the game you love, glory of winning etc. get weighed out and sometimes the risks simply don't out weigh the rewards. Only he can decide that...  pretending you know what he thinks is just silly, unless you're Mitch Morse and you didn't tell anyone... In which case, get your ass back to camp and stop posting on a damn message board ;) 

JUST TO BE CLEAR I AM NOT CALLING MORSE SOFT, OR CALLING HIM OUT.

Concussions are very serious , I lost playing football to them

I originally said if he wanted 45 million he signed for he would keep playing.. that's a lot of change

If he suffers 2-3 more concussions in a shorter span of course that would be no good and he should consider hanging them up for his health

But protocol in camp can easily be a precaution. If he had a severe concussion they would know fairly quickly

Though minor concussions can still have long term effects

5 hours ago, ******* said:

Not good......

BIG efff word.  

I actually had that thought about concussion when someone maybe 81 was mentioning 3 days off and concern. Yesterday or this morning. 

concusions are THE major risk with him. He might be forced to Eric wood at any moment. 

I sure hope long is decent. Good centers are hard to fine and make a lot of difference 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So given some of the stuff we’ve seen with some these athletes ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Players_of_American_football_who_committed_suicide )should it be all about the money?  Definitely makes for an interesting discussion.

its super early but some fans are seriously underestimating how devastating concussions can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So given some of the stuff we’ve seen with some these athletes ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Players_of_American_football_who_committed_suicide )should it be all about the money?  Definitely makes for an interesting discussion.

its super early but some fans are seriously underestimating how devastating concussions can be. 

I know they are devastating.

But 40 million dollars will change a family's life for a few generations.

Life is a risk reward, give take... It's worth it to some, others not

FYI I will probably give my brain for cte research when I pass so I understand