Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but protocol just means concussion symptoms but it's not confirmed?  So this could be a safety precaution?   

I would say better than Bodine.  Feliciano took first team reps at center the other day over Bodine.  Not sure his history though.

Long signed a pretty good extension as a center with the Jets a few years ago.  He had a down year but it could have been on him or the mess the Jets were in last year with Bowles.

Cool, thanks

Looks like Bodine is safe to make this team... I don't see a world where they want Spencer Long at C for an extended period... his natural position is OG.  Feliciano is also more of a spot duty guy... they need to keep Bodine now IMHO. 

• Sad 1

I swear there was just a debate over the concussion concerns being overrated.  Head injuries should never be underrated.  He literally could get touched the wrong way and it could cause a concussion.  Very good player but this is terrible news.  The other thing you have to think about is what his family starts to think.  Is it worth it any more?  Sad.

17 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Wow!  I know he is good, but based on that history, he warranted to be the highest paid center in the NFL?

Probably not. Sucks because he is a good player but that was a worrisome history. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We have multiple players that have started. You're not going to have a pro bowler behind the starter but we at least 3 players that can start 3-4 games. 

Hopefully he'll be OK.

That's a horrible situation... Just like last year. Center is too important to rely on a backup.

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

I could be wrong, but my guess is, if this was the regular season, he would be playing and no one would even know he had a concussion.  Best to take precaution in training camp, but I guarantee many concussions still go unreported every week in the NFL.

Being in the protocol does not mean he necessarily has a concussion...its an overly cautious approach.  That being said he COULD actually have one.

• Like (+1) 1

So we're looking at POTENTIALLY for parts of this season having Bodine--Felicano-a rookie on the right side.  

Yup.  I'm trading for Trent Williams today.  Get on the phone with the worst run franchise in sports today.  

I understand Trent has missed games to.  Not to concussions.  His injuries might have more to do with playing on the worst field in the NFL.  

Trent--Dawkins--Center Roulette--Spain--Ford

That looks much more palatable to me. 

Edited by Big Blitz

5 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I could be wrong, but my guess is, if this was the regular season, he would be playing and no one would even know he had a concussion.  Best to take precaution in training camp, but I guarantee many concussions still go unreported every week in the NFL.

Speaking of which ...  I had seen this 

17 seasons of ailments: Tom Brady's entire reported injury history and ZERO concussions.

Tom Brady: my concussion history isn't anybody's business

Just don't as Gisele 

During an interview with CBS This Morning in May, Brady's wife, Gisele Bundchen, not only claimed that Brady suffered a concussion last season, but that he has suffered multiple concussions during his career. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I'd be curious to know (without taking the requisite time to dig into it) if Mark ever got another concussion while rocking that thing? I bet he didn't though. 

There have been tons of studies with regards to "soft helmets" rather than the hard helmets they currently use... Kelsos was a "soft helmet" where ofcourse it was rigid but it had give, as well, allowing the helmet to absorb some of the impact rather than just having the padding hold the helmet in place and allow the brain to still take the impact and be shaken up.

I posted an article on Billievers like 2 years ago where the company that manufactured them showed through their studies that the "Soft Helmets" reduced impact to the brain something like 60% better than standard helmets utilizing the same style impacts in simulated contact.  However people (trainers, coaches, players etc.) don't accept them because they aren't the norm, and players hate them because they look funny... 

If everyone had them, they may look goofy year 1, but by year 2 they'd be the norm an no one would look back, just like changing from leather to plastic. 

Something needs to be done about this from an equipment standpoint, and the sad truth is better options are out there but no one is using them.  Hell if i were an NFL player and it were proven I'd pay the fine to not wear NFL gear and wear that helmet instead. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3