The Bills playoff game no one remembers

January 2, 1999. Pro Player Stadium, Miami. The last remnants of the Super Bowl Bills. (Bruce, Reed, Thurman) Robbed of a home playoff game by the Patriots "Just give it to em" game weeks before. Hosed by several bad calls, Reed thrown out of the game for bumping an official, likely costing the Bills the tying touchdown. Recovering an onside kick only to fumble with 10 seconds to go, only a few yards from that tying score.

Yet when taking about Buffalo's misfortunes, this game is never brought up. Homerun Forward Lateral, No Goal, Wide Right, all live in infamy. This game? No one remembers. The Bills have lost at least 4 playoff games in the final seconds.

It’s hilarious all the hate Flutie got.  I believe he set passing records in this game.  But he’s a loser because Reed throw a temper tantrum and he got murdered by Armstrong.  Some fans are some dumb. ?

6 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Moulds had a monster game...established himself as the heir apparent to Reed.

He couldn’t be stopped.  I remember This game so well. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 3

This games pales in least remembered Bills playoff games to our 1st playoff game, December 28, 1963 in WMS. Bills won on the last week of the Regular Season to force the 1st ever AFL playoff game vs. Boston. Babe Parilli scorched us and won going away 26-8. But we’d come back the next year and play in 3 straight Championship Games, winning 2.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196312280buf.htm

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s hilarious all the hate Flutie got.  I believe he set passing records in this game.  But he’s a loser because Reed throw a temper tantrum and he got murdered by Armstrong.  Some fans are some dumb. ?

He couldn’t be stopped.  I remember This game so well. 

About as dumb as blaming Rob Johnson for failing to cover a kickoff return.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Moulds had a monster game...established himself as the heir apparent to Reed.

Moulds' breakout year was that season ('98)...the playoff game was just icing on the cake.  He was awesome all year.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Moulds' breakout year was that season ('98)...the playoff game was just icing on the cake.  He was awesome all year.

... Except for celebrating prematurely on the first offensive play of the game, where he beat the secondary over-the-top and was caught from behind and fumbled instead of scoring the TD.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

About as dumb as blaming Rob Johnson for failing to cover a kickoff return.

I blame Wade for choosing to kick the field goal with so much time still on the clock and after the Bills had just gotten a first down.  Maybe he panicked because Rob lost a shoe.  No coach sends the FG unit on the field in that situation because you're giving the other team a chance to pull some crazy play from deep in their playbook.  Make the kick or not and walk off the field.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

... Except for celebrating prematurely on the first offensive play of the game, where he beat the secondary over-the-top and was caught from behind and fumbled instead of scoring the TD.

That’s what I remember from this supposedly forgotten game.