Saints make Michael Thomas highest paid WR in NFL history

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So because the 19-0 Patriots lose one game on a miracle catch, great receivers shouldn’t get paid?  

Yes because that's the only thing i have said, so you should latch on to 1 single solitary part of my argument and blow it up like that's all I am saying.... smh... 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s really about “ keeping the band together” here. Yes, it’s largely the QB, but the combo is proven so you make it last as long as it can. Might only be a couple of seasons, but that team thinks it can win the Super Bowl so the deal gets done. 

Doesn't make it a good deal... and the guys they will lose along the way with that much cap wrapped up in Thomas eventually will make it a bad deal.  Missed opportunity cost for retaining other guys or signing linemen to protect their AARP QB... Hes an amazing QB don't get me wrong, but 1 weapon shouldn't take up that much of their ability to spend on offense. 

45 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Saints never seem to have money, always seem to sign guys to insane contracts, and are always a game or play or two away from making a serious run at the Lombardi. Sure, most has to do with the combination of Brees and Payton but still.

Yep. Lattimore and Kamara contracts on the horizon...

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Got that right. 

But he is really gonna be unhappy when he sees that Carr ain’t the same kind of pitcher as Roethlisberger. 

How about Peterman - he is in Roethlisberger class right?  

Practically the same arm strength, but Peterman is more mobile.

Sarcasm off.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

All players are worth whatever a team is willing to pay them. 

When we say he's not worth that kind of money, what most of us mean is that if we were GMs, we wouldn't offer him that amount even given the realities  of the NFL pay scale.  

It's too much cap space invested in one player who only touches the ball a fraction of the time.  The spend versus contribution is disproportionate.   Well, that's what I think anyway.

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

When we say he's not worth that kind of money, what most of us mean is that if we were GMs, we wouldn't offer him that amount even given the realities  of the NFL pay scale.  

It's too much cap space invested in one player who only touches the ball a fraction of the time.  The spend versus contribution is disproportionate.   Well, that's what I think anyway.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but what he's paid (his worth) and what his cap hit is are two different animals. The cap and managing it are a dynamic, fluid element that's constantly in flux. Other aspects of the cap can me managed to mitigate possible negative impacts Thomas's deal might present down the road and they will have to be vigilant as all teams need to be.

I can respect the Saints wanting to seize the moment within a narrowing window given Breez's age. 

I also appreciate the idea of the negligible amount of touches a wideout might garner, but his presence impacts others that touch the ball as well on a play to play basis. If a DC has to devote more resources to counter Thomas, that's a value he brings without having to touch the ball at all. 

Anyway, it's on him to justify his new deal. And with Breez pitching, I think he will. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate where you're coming from, but what he's paid (his worth) and what his cap hit is are two different animals. The cap and managing it are a dynamic, fluid element that's constantly in flux. Other aspects of the cap can me managed to mitigate possible negative impacts Thomas's deal might present down the road and they will have to be vigilant as all teams need to be.

I can respect the Saints wanting to seize the moment within a narrowing window given Breez's age. 

I also appreciate the idea of the negligible amount of touches a wideout might garner, but his presence impacts others that touch the ball as well on a play to play basis. If a DC has to devote more resources to counter Thomas, that's a value he brings without having to touch the ball at all. 

Anyway, it's on him to justify his new deal. And with Breez pitching, I think he will. 

This is a key point and is the reason I believe WR is the second most important position in the NFL.  A fast, play-making WR (or two) will open up opportunities for other positions, like RB and TE, in addition to making big plays himself.  

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Well the Bills have 10% of their available cap this year invested in a guy with a history of concussions who just got concussed again on the first day of full contact in training camp soooo....I know centers technically “touch” the ball a lot but still.

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the Patriots have adequately demonstrated that it is not the WR, but the QB that matters.

There's no need to be spending that kind of money on a virtuoso receiver.

He’s in a good situation, but they didn’t pay him 20 mill a year because there are other guys that have or will do what he has done in that offense. Brees has been playing for a long time. He’s never had a WR like this. They are a good match, but they make each other better. Not a one-way thing. 

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the Patriots have adequately demonstrated that it is not the WR, but the QB that matters.

There's no need to be spending that kind of money on a virtuoso receiver.

Perhaps...if you happen to have the greatest head coach and QB of all time.  Not exactly a repeatable formula.

Trivia Question: Who was the MVP of this past Super Bowl and what position did he play?

9 hours ago, MR8 said:

Yeah, QBs make the WR, not vice versa... we've seen that with guys like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Megatron.... the list goes on of GREAT WRs who've never won a SB...  

Paying this kind of money to a WR who is largely a product of playing with Brees, as you pointed out, is a mistake... I mean 

Jerry Rice put two QBS n the HOF.  Calvn Johnson made Matt Stafford. 

11 hours ago, MR8 said:

Yes because that's the only thing i have said, so you should latch on to 1 single solitary part of my argument and blow it up like that's all I am saying.... smh... 

Doesn't make it a good deal... and the guys they will lose along the way with that much cap wrapped up in Thomas eventually will make it a bad deal.  Missed opportunity cost for retaining other guys or signing linemen to protect their AARP QB... Hes an amazing QB don't get me wrong, but 1 weapon shouldn't take up that much of their ability to spend on offense. 

Never said it was a good deal, just pointing out their rationale. Minute by minute league now.