Saints make Michael Thomas highest paid WR in NFL history

58 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

As far as paying non-QBs, what better position than WR? A great WR makes your QBs job much easier. I'd much rather pay an elite WR than a LB, CB or DE. I know I'll get flogged for saying so.

QB

DE

LT

Those are the top 3 for me. Then #1WR and #1CB.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

QB

DE

LT

Ain't nuttin wrong with dat. In reality though most teams are not presented with the option of choice, most of these guys never hit the market. I noticed that CB is your 5th choice, but truth is we have no other top 5 guys on the roster so we might as well pay Tre when that time comes.

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

QB

DE

LT

Bill Polian agrees with the bold text. And, given the evolution of the game since he became a GM, he might even agree with four and five being a WR and CB. 

2 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Ain't nuttin wrong with dat. In reality though most teams are not presented with the option of choice, most of these guys never hit the market. I noticed that CB is your 5th choice, but truth is we have no other top 5 guys on the roster so we might as well pay Tre when that time comes.

Yea - I'd pay all five of those spots when I get a franchise guy in those positions. You can't always choose the order you pay in. When you get one - pay them. They have to pay Tre White.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Bill Polian agrees with the bold text. And, given the evolution of the game since he became a GM, he might even agree with four and five being a WR and CB. 

The Quarterback. The guys that disrupts the quarterback. The guy that protects the Quarterback.

It is a Quarterback league.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Quarterback. The guys that disrupts the quarterback. The guy that protects the Quarterback.

It is a Quarterback league.

Got that right. What’s interesting to me is that I first heard him state his positional importance theory in ‘84. That long ago. It’s always been a QB’s league and it always will be. 

57 minutes ago, MR8 said:

My point is you don't win BS because of you have great WRS... the year Brady had Moss they didn't win, and last year when Thomas almost went to the SB he still had Brees throwing to him... so it still boils down to QB play.

How many SBs did Moss win again?  Right 0... How about TO?  Right 0... 

QBs win SBs in today's NFL... that's my point.  I would never pay a WR the money these WRs today are getting... I see your point about wanting to pay the non-divas over the divas, but I still wouldn't pay any of them.  WRs get dinged up too readily... look at AJ Green going down, Sterling Shepherd, Jamison Crowder, Corey Coleman, these were just this week... Some are a bigger deal than others, but because of this risk they just aren't good investments. JMO though... I'd rather have a group of 3 #2 WRs at $10M each than one #1 WR at $20M and then need to have price line negotiated WRs at $5M each behind him because that 1 guy is sucking up all the cap for the position.

So because the 19-0 Patriots lose one game on a miracle catch, great receivers shouldn’t get paid?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Michael Thomas is good, but $100 million? 

Uhh...yeah!  He's top 5 in a very deep pool of WR talent.

Scrub QBs like Keenum and Bortles have been paid $18-$20 mill per season.  No reason for premier talents at the skill positions not to be paid accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

I'd rather have a group of 3 #2 WRs at $10M each than one #1 WR at $20M and then need to have price line negotiated WRs at $5M each behind him because that 1 guy is sucking up all the cap for the position.

How many teams, not named the Patriots, have won a Super Bowl with a group of #2 & #3 receivers?

Money ball doesn't work in the NFL, unless you're Bill Belichick.  You know...the greatest coach of all time. 

Edited by Chicken Boo

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

Yeah, QBs make the WR, not vice versa... we've seen that with guys like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Megatron.... the list goes on of GREAT WRs who've never won a SB...  

Paying this kind of money to a WR who is largely a product of playing with Brees, as you pointed out, is a mistake... I mean 

It’s really about “ keeping the band together” here. Yes, it’s largely the QB, but the combo is proven so you make it last as long as it can. Might only be a couple of seasons, but that team thinks it can win the Super Bowl so the deal gets done. 

52 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Got that right. What’s interesting to me is that I first heard him state his positional importance theory in ‘84. That long ago. It’s always been a QB’s league and it always will be. 

'84 you say? Yea.... that's the year I was born you old timer.....

It's not a crazy deal for a WR like him--especially when a bum like Sammy Watkins is getting only 4 million per year less.

Problem is when Brees is gone, Thomas is going to be a very expensive hood ornament on an AMC Pacer...

pats do a great job at spreading the money out.  edelman was on pace for about 1140 yards last year and makes like 7 mil per.  insane steal of a contract.  they pay a lot in their secondary, lbs, o line, qb, tight end.  not so much in wrs. 

Just now, Buffalophil1948 said:

Yeah Carr doesn't try to force it in like Rapelisberger

Carr can’t extend plays that allow receivers more time to lose DBs like Roethlisberger, either.