Saints make Michael Thomas highest paid WR in NFL history

7 minutes ago, teef said:

put me in the group that feels uncomfortable with this.  i get  that every year someone will be signed for a new amazing amount of money, and we'll all be shocked.  but this cash for a wr with a qb that won't be there for much longer, (as mentioned)?

1) you need to maximize Brees’ window so you’re not going to play games with Thomas.

2) the cap will increase

3) your next qb is set up nice.  I am clearly in the minority, but I would have keep Watkins and overpaid him (if his foot got cleared which it might not have).  I’d rather overpay to have talent around your qb than underpay and have play the guys we have.

but I definitely understand the concerns of paying such a dependent position so much money.  But Thomas doesn’t seem like a diva and he is still really young. 

2 minutes ago, AllensBigBalls said:

I sure hope that is Monopoly money and not real money!

The NfL makes billions and billions of dollars.  

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

What is better is he put up these numbers with Brees, one of the best ever. And he’s getting paid to continue putting up these numbers with Brees, one of the best ever. The problem is, Brees isn’t a spring chicken, and isn’t Tom Brady in longevity terms. I highly doubt Brees plans to play another 5 years. Thomas’ production can really only go down. 

Yeah, QBs make the WR, not vice versa... we've seen that with guys like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Megatron.... the list goes on of GREAT WRs who've never won a SB...  

Paying this kind of money to a WR who is largely a product of playing with Brees, as you pointed out, is a mistake... I mean 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why?  In the sport that makes the most money, why shouldn’t the players get it?  Do you want the owners to get more of it.  I never get fans who get upset at players getting paid, especially in a sport with non guaranteed contracts and the shortest careers.

and all this deal is show me how much we need a real number 1 receiver.  What good qb doesn’t?  Brady, possibly the greatest qb ever, had Gronk.  Rodgers has Adams. Brees has Thomas.  Mahomes has Kelce and that troll scumbag.  Ryan has Jones. Watson has Hopkins.  Allen has Brown and Jones.  They are ok but we need more.  

I totally agree.   It's not like NFL owners would rollback ticket prices or do away with PSLs if they didn't have to pay players.  

It is a zero sum game - unless you mortgage the future hoping you can dump the money in uncapped year and not get caught teams only have so much money they can spend.  

Some foolishly will state to just give the player the money and cannot balance a checkbook.

And what is going to happen if someone gets paid more - will he hold out for contract renegotiation until he has enough to feed family.

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) you need to maximize Brees’ window so you’re not going to play games with Thomas.

2) the cap will increase

3) your next qb is set up nice.  I am clearly in the minority, but I would have keep Watkins and overpaid him (if his foot got cleared which it might not have).  I’d rather overpay to have talent around your qb than underpay and have play the guys we have.

but I definitely understand the concerns of paying such a dependent position so much money.  But Thomas doesn’t seem like a diva and he is still really young. 

i get paying big money for these elite players.  thomas does seem like he's the type to be a waste.  i get what you're saying about sammy, but he's just a bit too much of a risk for me with his injury history and lack of production.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Brown and OBJ will start whining any day now.

I bet AB demands a pay bump next off-season.  OBJ I think will wait it out for a bit before complaining.  He's a Diva for sure, but he's younger and if he waits 1-2 years before demanding more money someone else will get paid more than Thomas and he can cash in bigger.... Brown is over 30, he doesnt have a lot of years left to sit around and wait to demand more...

All of these arguments are silly considering how much they're being paid already, but I could definitely see them demanding more in the next 1-2 years respectively. 

Just now, Bangarang said:

Good for him

No kidding. This is a guy who had to redshirt as a sophomore! He also had to go to military academy before he could enroll at osu. 3 star guy who was like the 125th ranked WR in the 2011 recruiting class. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Yeah, QBs make the WR, not vice versa... we've seen that with guys like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Megatron.... the list goes on of GREAT WRs who've never won a SB...  

Paying this kind of money to a WR who is largely a product of playing with Brees, as you pointed out, is a mistake... I mean 

1) I agree with the general point of elite qbs can make wrs.  But also Brady’s best year was when he had Moss.  

2). Are Ryan, Dalton, Stafford close to the same players without their stud receivers?  No way.  

3). The point about receivers not being responsible for winning SBs but you can do that for a lot of positions. One team, sadly mainly the Pats, win SBs.  To say you don’t need an elite player at position because you didn’t win a SB is a little silly. And Thomas was a bad call away from being in a SB.

i won’t pay the annoying, diva receiver guys like OBJ, TO, Brown monster money.  They are selfish and can destroy a locker room.  But to think quiet hard working guys like Thomas, Hopkins, Green don’t deserve big money because of the position they play don’t make sense to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

This is CRAZY... no skill position player is worth this kind of money, PERIOD!  No WR and no RB.. they only can impact the game during plays when the ball is in their hands... QBs are the only players worth this kind of contract because the ball is ALWAYS in their hands.  

This incredibly insane spiral of contracts for top end guys just blows my mind. Such a large percentage of your cap wrapped up in just 1 person... Again, QB is the only position worth that kind of percentage of the cap.

Yeah but the next few years (probably after this season or next) the Saints will have a rookie at QB.  Might as well spend it on a toy.

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) I agree with the general point of elite qbs can make wrs.  But also Brady’s best year was when he had Moss.  

2). Are Ryan, Dalton, Stafford close to the same players without their stud receivers?  No way.  

3). The point about receivers not being responsible for winning SBs but you can do that for a lot of positions. One team, sadly mainly the Pats, win SBs.  To say you don’t need an elite player at position because you didn’t win a SB is a little silly. And Thomas was a bad call away from being in a SB.

i won’t pay the annoying, diva receiver guys like OBJ, TO, Brown monster money.  They are selfish and can destroy a locker room.  But to think quiet hard working guys like Thomas, Hopkins, Green don’t deserve big money because of the position they play don’t make sense to me.

My point is you don't win BS because of you have great WRS... the year Brady had Moss they didn't win, and last year when Thomas almost went to the SB he still had Brees throwing to him... so it still boils down to QB play.

How many SBs did Moss win again?  Right 0... How about TO?  Right 0... 

QBs win SBs in today's NFL... that's my point.  I would never pay a WR the money these WRs today are getting... I see your point about wanting to pay the non-divas over the divas, but I still wouldn't pay any of them.  WRs get dinged up too readily... look at AJ Green going down, Sterling Shepherd, Jamison Crowder, Corey Coleman, these were just this week... Some are a bigger deal than others, but because of this risk they just aren't good investments. JMO though... I'd rather have a group of 3 #2 WRs at $10M each than one #1 WR at $20M and then need to have price line negotiated WRs at $5M each behind him because that 1 guy is sucking up all the cap for the position.

• Like (+1) 1