Saints make Michael Thomas highest paid WR in NFL history

This is CRAZY... no skill position player is worth this kind of money, PERIOD!  No WR and no RB.. they only can impact the game during plays when the ball is in their hands... QBs are the only players worth this kind of contract because the ball is ALWAYS in their hands.  

This incredibly insane spiral of contracts for top end guys just blows my mind. Such a large percentage of your cap wrapped up in just 1 person... Again, QB is the only position worth that kind of percentage of the cap.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

Antonio Brown is not going to be happy. How long until his next hold out?

Got that right. 

But he is really gonna be unhappy when he sees that Carr ain’t the same kind of pitcher as Roethlisberger. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Wow! I don't think he is worth quite that much IMO. But congrats to him I guess.

All players are worth whatever a team is willing to pay them. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MR8 said:

This is CRAZY... no skill position player is worth this kind of money, PERIOD!  No WR and no RB.. they only can impact the game during plays when the ball is in their hands... QBs are the only players worth this kind of contract because the ball is ALWAYS in their hands.  

This incredibly insane spiral of contracts for top end guys just blows my mind. Such a large percentage of your cap wrapped up in just 1 person... Again, QB is the only position worth that kind of percentage of the cap.

What is better is he put up these numbers with Brees, one of the best ever. And he’s getting paid to continue putting up these numbers with Brees, one of the best ever. The problem is, Brees isn’t a spring chicken, and isn’t Tom Brady in longevity terms. I highly doubt Brees plans to play another 5 years. Thomas’ production can really only go down. 

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 2

put me in the group that feels uncomfortable with this.  i get  that every year someone will be signed for a new amazing amount of money, and we'll all be shocked.  but this cash for a wr with a qb that won't be there for much longer, (as mentioned)?

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

I guess he is to the Saints, but crazy IMO

Oh, it’s crazy alright. And some team in the near future is gonna go even crazier on another wideout. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ridiculous 

Why?  In the sport that makes the most money, why shouldn’t the players get it?  Do you want the owners to get more of it.  I never get fans who get upset at players getting paid, especially in a sport with non guaranteed contracts and the shortest careers.

and all this deal is show me how much we need a real number 1 receiver.  What good qb doesn’t?  Brady, possibly the greatest qb ever, had Gronk.  Rodgers has Adams. Brees has Thomas.  Mahomes has Kelce and that troll scumbag.  Ryan has Jones. Watson has Hopkins.  Allen has Brown and Jones.  They are ok but we need more.  

• Thank you (+1) 1