Ed Oliver - Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains 7/30

Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller (from TC)

Note:  There is no link available for the interview

- How are things settling for you

- You just go out there and compete every day.  I got the guys in front of me, Star and big Jordan and Jerry and Trent - guys just coach me up every day and get me ready to go out there and play and help the team.  I just sit back and take it all in

- Kyle Williams

- Yeah - it was crazy.  When the guys seen him in the room it was kinda like your older brother - when your older brother comes home from school - it's like rah-rah-rah.  It was a little different for me I was like Oh it;s Kyle Williams.  That's my boy, that's my brother - everything he says I take to heart

- What's been most important to show what you can do

- It's just been stacking good days on top of good days.  I had a couple good days in a row, and having and off day and then having to come back and stack more good days.  I feel I didn't take a big enough step today,  but that's just been my goal to stack good days and keep making a constant improvement.  every day I go out there it's just one thing to get better at 

- Do you miss the humidity of Houston

- Yes I do, no lie.  Houston's very hot, but it's the type of hot you don't have to get warmed up for - you just go outside and you're already sweating and you're ready to go

- Who's taking care of the horses

- My Pop - back in Louisiana.  He's supposed to be coming out here in a couple weeks.  I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't right behind him, if they end up at my crib <laughs>

- Battles with veteran OLmen

- To put it in simplist terms - those guys know how to cheat.  It is what it is - they got vet tricks, they been in the league for a long time

- Does it frustrate you

- You just got to look at it like oh - you just got to learn how to cheat too.  It's just battles, it's competition.  I've gotten a whole lot better, I've come a long way since I first came here.  Just learning - I tell you those Olinemen cheat - they hold you, they take holding to a whole different level - they take holding and it's like they majored in it or something.  It's a different type of game

- Because their feet are good - so they can stay with it.  A college guy gets his arm out and you can see it, not these guys

- And there guys are a lot bigger and heavier.  For me it's just being on my Ps and Qs and knowing what's coming

- Do you get frustrated with them

- I get more frustrated with myself.  I know I'm the only one beating myself so I got to play up

- How are you breaking down their hands

- It's hard because they'll flash them then take them back, so t's just little stuff like that that come with it.  They did it some in college but here it's every play they come with little ways to get you so you got to be on Ps and Qs

- How's install been going

- Install's not too tough, just execution.  Like I said go out every day and pick something to get better at. Whether it be watching the ball, hands - just pick one thing - getting with the older guys, have them helping you in the meeting rooms, break down what you did wrong, how you can get better - any little thing.  I'm like a sponge and I'm trying to soak it up

- Best moment at camp so far - that you said that's how you do it and it gets done

- It comes in flashes - but you have to do it every time

- Give me moment though where you flashed and said I don't need anybody to tell me that was good

- You want to think like that but you can't.  You have to be open to corrections at all times - even when you think you might have just made the best play of your entire life - there's still probably something you could have done better

- Been hard on you in film room

- No No,  it's just about getting better

- Got spirited today

- I don't know what the problem was today - everybody want to fight.  this was my first practice where it was feisty like that - everybody seemed like they wanted to buck with each other and I'm like - how about we just play ball

-  

• Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Thanks for the recap OP.

I saw on Twitter that Oliver said having Kyle there was like a cheat code and he was just absorbing as much knowledge as possible. I loved that metaphor though. 

I really like this kids attitude.

I'm not going to sugar coat it , I HATE the Jests. Born n raised in North Jersey I'm surrounded by Jet fans , so maybe that's swaying my opinion , but I just think Oliver>>Williams .

Just their demeanors , the way I envision them practicing . Williams strikes me as a guy that doesn't enjoy the grind n was just physically dominant in college and was able to play great doing the minimal. That's not going to work at this level.  ...

Oliver strikes me as a true alpha , who's going to compete n try to improve everyday. We shall see! So siked I get to watch the boys live week 1 , there's some interesting story ines and it's a big game imo 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Thanks for putting in the effort to share OP! I am amazed by how open Oliver is. Hilarious that he says pro linemen cheat. Glad he is getting to learn how to deal with it in camp. 

His statements about how how he would see something occasionally in college and now it is on every play, is a good description of the difference between college and NFL.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm not going to sugar coat it , I HATE the Jests. Born n raised in North Jersey I'm surrounded by Jet fans , so maybe that's swaying my opinion , but I just think Oliver>>Williams 

Just their demeanors , the way I envision them practicing . Williams strikes me as a guy that doesn't enjoy the grind n was just physically dominant in college and was able to play great doing the minimal. That's not going to work at this level.  ...

Oliver strikes me as a true alpha , who's going to compete n try to improve everyday. We shall see! So siked I get to watch the boys live week 1 , there's some interesting story ines and it's a big game imo 

It's funny you say that. On draft night, there were rumors of the Bills trading up to 3 to take Quinnen Williams, and I was REALLY hoping it wouldn't happen. I wanted Oliver instead. There was just something about the two of them that made me think Oliver would be the better and more dominant player. And this was BEFORE the Bills drafted Oliver, so it's not just Bills bias.

When I looked at Williams -- and I know this probably isn't fair to him -- I saw Dareus. Same type of career at the same college, same"aw shucks, I just like to have fun" demeanor, same pre-draft hype. All I could see when I looked at Williams was that damn boat captain's hat. 

I still think Oliver will have the more productive career.

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's funny you say that. On draft night, there were rumors of the Bills trading up to 3 to take Quinnen Williams, and I was REALLY hoping it wouldn't happen. I wanted Oliver instead. There was just something about the two of them that made me think Oliver would be the better and more dominant player. And this was BEFORE the Bills drafted Oliver, so it's not just Bills bias.

When I looked at Williams -- and I know this probably isn't fair to him -- I saw Dareus. Same type of career at the same college, same"aw shucks, I just like to have fun" demeanor, same pre-draft hype. All I could see when I looked at Williams was that damn boat captain's hat. 

I still think Oliver will have the more productive career.

I totally agree.. 

I was surrounded by mainly Giant fans on draft night. They all wanted either Josh Allen or Oliver at 6. I was just happy/shocked he was available at 9. Can't believe Set went with Hock at 8.

We lucked out getting Oliver at 9 , like really lucked out , he was a top 3 player imo. 

I totally see alot of Dareus traits in Williams. Think he'll have a good career but not elite . Think sky's the limit for Oliver 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I totally agree.. 

I was surrounded by mainly Giant fans on draft night. They all wanted either Josh Allen or Oliver at 6. I was just happy/shocked he was available at 9. Can't believe Set went with Hock at 8.

We lucked out getting Oliver at 9 , like really lucked out , he was a top 3 player imo. 

I totally see alot of Dareus traits in Williams. Think he'll have a good career but not elite . Think sky's the limit for Oliver 

I have to ask....what was the reaction from the Giants fans when they passed on BOTH those guys and took Daniel Jones? And then what was their reaction again when the Giants second 1st round pick was a space-eating DT? ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I have to ask....what was the reaction from the Giants fans when they passed on BOTH those guys and took Daniel Jones? And then what was their reaction again when the Giants second 1st round pick was a space-eating DT? ?

Oh man , the videos online don't do it justice. Was at a bar ,  The place erupted with expletives after the Jones pick.  Gettleman was being dragged all night . I like Giant fans ,I actually felt bad for the die hards cause I can relate being a Bills fan . It was brutal. That bad made a killing cause they were drinking their sorrows away. 

The consensus was they could have had Oliver and got Jones with their second pick. Again , Just brutal , I genuinely felt bad for these guys . 

3 hours ago, scribo said:

I was worried about Oliver's attitude, ego and coach-ability, based on the supposed issues he had with his college coach. Those concerns are long gone for me now.

He gave great answers to those questions a lot of times. If that is how he really goes about his business he's going to be really good.

• Like (+1) 1

You can tell he was sooo serious about how the OL cheat. You can tell at some point he going to fight fire with Fire. More I think about it that’s why Aaron Donald plays the way he does grab and pull OL out of his way. I hope he didn’t say too much to get the refs attention about the OL in the regular season

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, JerseyBills said:

I totally agree.. 

Agreed.  I think it goes along with the whole culture thing McDermott is preaching.  Not just acquiring talent but building a family.  I think Oliver's personality is a better fit for both his teammates and Bills fans.  I think he is going to bring the electricity when he steps on the field especially the games at New Era.  Can't wait!

On 7/31/2019 at 7:54 AM, JerseyBills said:

Thanks for the recap OP.

I saw on Twitter that Oliver said having Kyle there was like a cheat code and he was just absorbing as much knowledge as possible. I loved that metaphor though. 

I really like this kids attitude.

I'm not going to sugar coat it , I HATE the Jests. Born n raised in North Jersey I'm surrounded by Jet fans , so maybe that's swaying my opinion , but I just think Oliver>>Williams .

..EXACTLY what Kyle would do...a dedicated homer no doubt.............