Newly signed offensive lineman guard Isaac Asiata retires

HOUSE

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

For those who didn't read it, he decided to retire because he suffers from serious Anxiety and decided he needed to leave to take care of his mental health. It wasn't because he didn't think he would make the team or didn't want to put on the effort.

Can he play Center?? If so, get him some meds and githizazz on the field!

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Which generation?  The one that never got a job? LOL seriously no clue what you mean.

Millennial man. The generation that will not be able to retire.

Social security will be dead by time I'm retirement age and many (myself included) started work late due to going to grad school which is a requirement it seems now to get an entry level job. Add that in with high student loans and stagnant wages, most people I know don't expect to ever retire

I'm putting 15% of my engineer salary into my retirement too. I expect to work until the day I die

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Social security will be dead by time I'm retirement age and many (myself included) started work late due to going to grad school which is a requirement it seems now to get an entry level job. Add that in with high student loans and stagnant wages, most people I know don't expect to ever retire

I'm putting 15% of my engineer salary into my retirement too. I expect to work until the day I die

Well, if you have an engineering salary and are putting 15% into your 401k you will be in good shape. How old are you? Im 49 and never planned around SS. Its a scheme where you pay a ton in and dont get much of a return. 1000 a month for 45-50 years of work isnt a benifit. SS is there now only to keep voters worried about loosing SS. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Retire?  Yall need to move out of your parents houses first! 

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Well, if you have an engineering salary and are putting 15% into your 401k you will be in good shape. How old are you? Im 49 and never planned around SS. Its a scheme where you pay a ton in and dont get much of a return. 1000 a month for 45-50 years of work isnt a benifit. SS is there now only to keep voters worried about loosing SS. 

Just turned 31

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

Retire?  Yall need to move out of your parents houses first! 

I moved out 4 years ago and bought a house in February. 

Took me a few years to get to that point after getting two bachelors degrees (double major) working for free for a year to get "experience", then taking odd jobs for a year because I had no "experience" and then getting my masters degree before finally being hired and severely underpaid for two years before getting laid off after pulling 70 hour work weeks consistently to show that I was a team player for a company that treated me like ***** before finally getting my current job of which my company didn't have a contract past 4 months of my start date so I technically wasn't getting benefits because I was a "temp" in the eyes of HR until the new contract was signed, which didn't happen until I worked at the company for 8 months. 

But I'm lazy and entitled or something.

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Just turned 31

I moved out 4 years ago and bought a house in February. 

Took me a few years to get to that point after getting two bachelors degrees (double major) working for free for a year to get "experience", then taking odd jobs for a year because I had no "experience" and then getting my masters degree before finally being hired and severely underpaid for two years before getting laid off after pulling 70 hour work weeks consistently to show that I was a team player for a company that treated me like ***** before finally getting my current job of which my company didn't have a contract past 4 months of my start date so I technically wasn't getting benefits because I was a "temp" in the eyes of HR until the new contract was signed, which didn't happen until I worked at the company for 8 months. 

But I'm lazy and entitled or something.

Lol I'm a Millennial too man I was just messing with ya 

...interesting........

Buffalo Bills offensive lineman retires over 'fear of the unknown'

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

Buffalo Bills offensive lineman Isaac Asiata announced his retirement Tuesday, citing anxiety and “fear of the unknown” in a heartfelt message posted on social media.

Asiata, 26, spent two seasons with the Miami Dolphins after the team selected him in the fifth round of the 2017 NFL Draft. He signed with the Bills in the offseason but made the decision to retire.

“I have lived the last two years of my NFL career waging war with myself mentally,” Asiata wrote. “With constant anxiety, persistent worry and fear of the unknown and of what comes next? If I were to be done.”

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-isaac-asiata-retirement-anxiety

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

“I have lived the last two years of my NFL career waging war with myself mentally,” Asiata wrote. “With constant anxiety, persistent worry and fear of the unknown and of what comes next? If I were to be done.”

Well....you just made certain that you are about to find out.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hope it works....too many youngsters become statistics......

It seems strange for him to say he was constantly worrying and anxious over what would come after he was done with football.... as the reason that he is done with football.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It seems strange for him to say he was constantly worrying and anxious over what would come after he was done with football.... as the reason that he is done with football.

...agree...only thing I can think of is if he suffered a career ending injury that impeding life after football if it was seriously debilitating......

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree...only thing I can think of is if he suffered a career ending injury that impeding life after football if it was seriously debilitating......

I understand.  But the odds of that are extremely low.

My guess is that he really was tired of the work it took to play the game at this level, which is a good reason to leave now in my book.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

My guess is that he really was tired of the work it took to play the game at this level, which is a good reason to leave now in my book.

...I think you're right bud......the "high risk...high reward" of an NFL career is hardly an unknown....there is a multitude of careers that face the same decision, albeit not at the financial level of a potential NFL career.......

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If you don't think you can retire after say 30 years of working as an engineer putting 15% of your pay into a retirement fund, your doing something wrong I would think, lol

Depending on your ethics, you could easily do side jobs and be a 'stamp for hire'  and retire in a few years (most likely to a warm place where you can hide from any impending lawsuits!

That is of course if you meant the engineers that do math and design stuff, not the ones that drive a train?

Of course as an engineer, (depending on what your field is) you can always 'semi-retire' and do work on the side. I know many structural ones that are pretty much retired but will still review and stamp designs and charge good money for it. I'm lucky that I got into a field where I have a pension, but I still do drafting work on the side and plan to continue it even when I am 'retired' from the day to day job I have.

I think a big problem today with many of the current generation (millenials) is that they want and expect things right away. They expect to start in a good job right out of school. They expect to be able to get their dream forever home as their starter. They want the flashy car right away along with other high end stuff. They don't want to work their way up to things, they expect to get it now. Because of this, they take on huge amounts of debt because the banks love to give out money to people that probably shouldnt be getting it (until of course theres a problem and you need some help). They also love to spend money on things that they won't ever see a return from. They will make daily trips to Starbucks to get coffee and snacks while also eating out instead of into investments and things that will atleast have some time of use or value.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know, this seems to be more of an issue that he found it better to get out and worry about his mental health then keep going and having issues

His anxiety may be better now because he doesn't worry anymore about what he will do after his career comes to an end (which could be at anytime) and may have found something he could do now that would take this away. If he is no longer playing, he doesn't have to worry about it after his career is over because he is now done playing and can do something else. Its also possible that his anxiety was about what shape his body could end up being in after his career is older and he ages. Now he gets out with a better chance of being able to move around and walk well at an older age then if he played a full career.