Newly signed offensive lineman guard Isaac Asiata retires

HOUSE

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He wasn’t on the practice field Tuesday at St. John Fisher. In most cases when a player isn’t in attendance it typically due to an injury or excused absence. For G Isaac Asiata it was for a much different reason.

Asiata has decided to retire at just 26-years old.

Bills lineman Isaac Asiata during training camp on Saturday. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-guard-isaac-asiata-retires

What! I get home from work and it is the first post that I see. Let me see how much money that I have...maybe I can retire early...I will at least give two weeks notice!

He is a Samoan who played for 4 years in college and won the  Morris Trophy in PAC 12, a conference with a lot of good football colleges.  He apparently after appearing only in 2 games questioned whether NFL was right for him and the competition in camp reinforced that question for him.  I thought he had really good potential if he could transition to NFL.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

With him being a Morman I am sure he will get a lot of support post NFL and Utah is a good college.

And that support will only cost him 10% of his gross...per year.  

Kraft got as much support in “Palm” Beach for a tiny fraction of that...

6 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

He probably saw he had no chance of making the team and pulled the plug. Smart move. Why put yourself through the hell of TC when you know there is no chance.

To get film for another opportunity?

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's apparently a Mormon - married and with a child.  Those guys tend to have a strong family network and if they don't, the church fills in.

I could always be surprised, but I don't think he's likely to wind up on the police blotter.

....good find.....hope his faith and family lead to a future career........

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...retire at 26?....seriously?....I'm 40 years older and still work EVERY day....told my kids, "I'll probably expire before I retire"....sure hope this kid has a plan in place so he does not become "police blotter material"....wow.........

He probably still made more than most people make in their lifetime.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He probably still made more than most people make in their lifetime.

Not even close.  Career earnings less than 850K.  Average lifetime earnings for college degree is at least 1.8 million. 

Edited by Mr. WEO