Newly signed offensive lineman guard Isaac Asiata retires

55 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He wasn’t on the practice field Tuesday at St. John Fisher. In most cases when a player isn’t in attendance it typically due to an injury or excused absence. For G Isaac Asiata it was for a much different reason.

Asiata has decided to retire at just 26-years old.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-guard-isaac-asiata-retires

My husband worked with a guy who was drafted by the Raiders as a NT and spent a year on their practice squad before retiring partway into training camp.

He said he watched what the successful guys went through and decided he just didn't like dealing with pain well enough to make it in the NFL.
(he had a degree as an industrial engineer and was hired in a couple months)

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills must have a great retirement package.

Won't be in effect for him.  I'm sure what he means is "retire to start another career".  Hope he got his degree and it's in something that will let him work.

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So guys...I want you to hear it first...

Im retiring

Goodyear, Michelin, or Firestone?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The younger you retire the better. 

...cannot argue GB....I'm not a good example...tragically lost my wife in 2015 which turned retirement plans upside down.......now I have my kids and my work to keep me busy....they're local so that negates travel to see them.....they have been my "Rocks of Gibraltar" with wife & Mom gone.....I work for their inheritance now.....

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Oldie, I’m sure he realizes he has to work. 

...hope so BOE......in your line of work, you've seen many sad endings....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...cannot argue GB....I'm not a good example...tragically lost my wife in 2015 which turned retirement plans upside down.......now I have my kids and my work to keep me busy....they're local so that negates travel to see them.....they have been my "Rocks of Gibraltar" with wife & Mom gone.....I work for their inheritance now.....

The kid put out a heart felt statement And thanked everyone that gave him a chance. Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The kid put out a heart felt statement And thanked everyone that gave him a chance. Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.

...thanks for sharing......and I certainly hope so......the late James Hardy comes to mind as a terrible waste of a young man.....

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Condolences OldTime. But remember to still take time for yourself.  We only get one go round at this. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Stay well my friend.  As for the young man, good for him.  He realized he may not have the ability to be an NFL player and will move in with his life.  Best of luck to him.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...retire at 26?....seriously?....I'm 40 years older and still work EVERY day....told my kids, "I'll probably expire before I retire"....sure hope this kid has a plan in place so he does not become "police blotter material"....wow.........

I’m sure he invested extremely wisely and calculated his annual withdrawal rate, adjusted for inflation and all that.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thank you my good friend.....I need to sell myself on me.....

You'll have to come out some Sunday during the season and join me and a few friends, opening week always works, have a beer or a bourbon and some wings. I'll buy and I probably won't be retired by then... probably.

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He wasn’t on the practice field Tuesday at St. John Fisher. In most cases when a player isn’t in attendance it typically due to an injury or excused absence. For G Isaac Asiata it was for a much different reason.

Asiata has decided to retire at just 26-years old.

Bills lineman Isaac Asiata during training camp on Saturday. (Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News)

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-guard-isaac-asiata-retires

He couldn’t wait for halftime of the opener!  How dare him

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Well...easy come, easy go!

Yeah, uh Mr Beane.  I changed my mind about the whole football thing. 

I thought it was perhaps>

" oh snap , you guys aren't f'n around here !  sheet be real. peace out bro "

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

good to hear . Ty

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...retire at 26?....seriously?....I'm 40 years older and still work EVERY day....told my kids, "I'll probably expire before I retire"....sure hope this kid has a plan in place so he does not become "police blotter material"....wow.........

He's apparently a Mormon - married and with a child.  Those guys tend to have a strong family network and if they don't, the church fills in.

I could always be surprised, but I don't think he's likely to wind up on the police blotter.