Josh Allen - Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains 7/30

Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller (from TC)

Note: There is no link available to the interview

- How do you like your new receivers

- I like them.  Cole and John have been good for us.  Andre's come in as well has looked really good.  The young guys are learning.  Zay had a really good offseason.  We're rolling with things right now putting new stuff in, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work.  One thing I can say about the whole entire group they come in every day ready to work, ready to get better so I appreciate that from them.

- Know you have a lot of confidence in arm, but in year two of Daboll's offense you seem more in command more settled, more confident.  How do you feel going into year two

- One thing Coach Dabs has done a really good job with is throwing out things I don't like or don't necessarily do well, and just try to implement the things that I like and that I do well.  Just being comfortable with the things being put in his a huge step for me - a huge factor.  Dabs calls the play, I know what he's thinking.  We've been working on situational football recently - understanding what situations we can try to push the ball downfield, what situations we'd like to keep the ball kind of in the underneath stuff.  It's still a learning process, I'm still getting with it - but ultimately it's the right decision making process, me being on the same page with Daboll, and then in turn being on the same page with the offense

[Editor's note: Stunning to think how many light years this is away from the situation in TC last year]

- You're not intending to lead the team in rushing again are you

- No - that wasn't the plan last year (laughs) I'd love to get the ball into our playmaker's hands.  I'm not the shiftiest guy out there, I'm not the fastest

- They show that highlight a lot - and you're pretty shifty there

- Yeah, when it comes down to it I can make little things happen [Ed note: So humble! ? ]   but with the O line we've got in right now, we're hungry.  Coach Johnson has been really great in terms of teaching the guys how to do things, technique, and  in turn has opened things up in the running game in practice.  You know we're not going up against a shabby defense.  They got some players over there we really respect what they do.  We say it last year, they were fantastic last year.  We don't expect anything less from them - they're going to be hungry again.  they haven't gotten a huge amount of talk in the media and they note that, they're hungry to go out there.  Every day has been a battle, it's been consistent tug and pull - so we're excited     

- Diff QB coach - Ken Dorsey.  Lot of things new, OL, receivers, TE and now QB coach

- Coach Dorsey has been fantastic.  The insight he has on the game from playing it - it's been unbelievable.  When we put in a concept, it's something that he's familiar with because he ran it - he knows what it looks like from behind the center.  He understands defenses inside and out.  For him to be in the room with us and drop that knowledge onto us has been fantastic.  I feel a difference, I really do - just in terms of knowing what the concept means - and how to atttack a defense - and that's in a large part due to him

- What about your center - what an oppty they go out and get you a great center

- Yeah.  I'm pumped for it.  Mitch is usually the first one in the building one of the last one out.  He's very talkative, very communicative.  He's very smart - that's very apparent to everyone that watches him play.  Technique wise, communication with the whole offense, just his leadership ability.  He's been in KC they won a lot of games last year - he's bringing that experience and that knowledge here.  I think it's something that's very crucial - esp the centerpiece of the line, a guy who's been in situations and knows how to handle it, stays calm, and he's a great guy as well

- You've got all these new OLinemen - getting to know these guys

- And we really won't know that until we get some live reps.  Preseason and the first couple games it's still going to be a feeling out process.  I will say I'm excited for what we got going on right now.  We got a lot of guys hungry - lot of guys who want to learn.  We're still working as a group.  It's not going to be perfect right away - probably won't be perfect at all times but we'll get there

- Talk about how you handle - 4 new starters on OL, 14  guys in camp there first or 2nd year with Bills, whole bunch of new guys.  As QB how do you go about it - what's the approach - do you use every cadence variation, run every play play in the playbook - are you throwing it all at them now or are you building slowly

- I think that's one of the things Brandon Beane did, when you look at the guys we wanted to add to our team, first he looked at the physical aspects - how tough they were on the field.  Secondly he went after - can they learn the offense.  I think we have a lot of smart guys in our locker room.  I really believe that and I appreciate their ability to come in, learn a new concept, then go out on the field and go execute.  We got a lot of real professional football players here - I'm not saying we didn't have that last year, it just feels different.  I think as far as from top to bottom we've got guys who are hungry, are focused, it's just throughout the entire building and I think that's a key change

- What's the approach - how much of the playbook

- We're putting it all in right now.  We're throwing it at people, trying to figure out if they can handle it or not.  for the most part we've been able to handle it.  That's why I said I appreciate these guys coming in every day to work

- Where are you at mechanically - what did you work on

- Keeping my base the same.  Many times last year I'm here - then I get here in my stance then get wide again and that causes the whole sequence to kind of be off.  It's about staying here, being able to jump on my toes here, and be able to react to anything that happens.  If I see a guy open throw a guy open.  Being comfortable in the pocket, trusting the guys around me, ultimately trusting the receivers to get the right depth, and putting it where it needs to be

- Work ethic of Frank Gore

- It's unbelievable.  you know I grew up a Frank Gore fan - I was a 49'ers fan.  I had multiple jerseys of his - the red one the white one the black one.  For him to still be playing at the level he is is unbelievable.  You meet the guy you see how hard he works, you see him in practice and the type of effort he gives on every play - it's a HOF work ethic and it's infectious to everyone in the building.  For me - just talking to him he's studious - he's very professional and it's all about football when he's on the field.  It's unbelievable to have him

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 18

Thanks for the transcription. Greatly appreciated.

We'll see how Josh Allen does ON the field in the coming months, but he already does a great job OFF the field in the way he carries himself, his interactions with fans, his humility, etc.

I listened to the whole thing. It was pretty positive and objective. Pat Kirwan’s take is that it’s going to be tough to get everyone on the same page to start the season. Especially the offensive line. They both loved the D . Worth the listen. 

19 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I listened to the whole thing. It was pretty positive and objective. Pat Kirwan’s take is that it’s going to be tough to get everyone on the same page to start the season. Especially the offensive line. They both loved the D . Worth the listen. 

Harder than last year?

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

- I like them.  Cole and John have been good for us.  Andre's come in as well has looked really good.  The young guys are learning.  Zay had a really good offseason.  We're rolling with things right now putting new stuff in, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work.  One thing I can say about the whole entire group they come in every day ready to work, ready to get better so I appreciate that from them.

- Know you have a lot of confidence in arm, but in year two of Daboll's offense you seem more in command more settled, more confident.  How do you feel going into year two

- One thing Coach Dabs has done a really good job with is throwing out things I don't like or don't necessarily do well, and just try to implement the things that I like and that I do well.  Just being comfortable with the things being put in his a huge step for me - a huge factor.  Dabs calls the play, I know what he's thinking.  We've been working on situational football recently - understanding what situations we can try to push the ball downfield, what situations we'd like to keep the ball kind of in the underneath stuff.  It's still a learning process, I'm still getting with it - but ultimately it's the right decision making process, me being on the same page with Daboll, and then in turn being on the same page with the offense

[Editor's note: Stunning to think how many light years this is away from the situation in TC last year]

- No - that wasn't the plan last year (laughs) I'd love to get the ball into our playmaker's hands.  I'm not the shiftiest guy out there, I'm not the fastest

- Yeah, when it comes down to it I can make little things happen [Ed note: So humble! ? ]   but with the O line we've got in right now, we're hungry.  Coach Johnson has been really great in terms of teaching the guys how to do things, technique, and  in turn has opened things up in the running game in practice.  You know we're not going up against a shabby defense.  They got some players over there we really respect what they do.  We say it last year, they were fantastic last year.  We don't expect anything less from them - they're going to be hungry again.  they haven't gotten a huge amount of talk in the media and they note that, they're hungry to go out there.  Every day has been a battle, it's been consistent tug and pull - so we're excited     

- Diff QB coach - Ken Dorsey.  Lot of things new, OL, receivers, TE and now QB coach

- Coach Dorsey has been fantastic.  The insight he has on the game from playing it - it's been unbelievable.  When we put in a concept, it's something that he's familiar with because he ran it - he knows what it looks like from behind the center.  He understands defenses inside and out.  For him to be in the room with us and drop that knowledge onto us has been fantastic.  I feel a difference, I really do - just in terms of knowing what the concept means - and how to atttack a defense - and that's in a large part due to him

- Yeah.  I'm pumped for it.  Mitch is usually the first one in the building one of the last one out.  He's very talkative, very communicative.  He's very smart - that's very apparent to everyone that watches him play.  Technique wise, communication with the whole offense, just his leadership ability.  He's been in KC they won a lot of games last year - he's bringing that experience and that knowledge here.  I think it's something that's very crucial - esp the centerpiece of the line, a guy who's been in situations and knows how to handle it, stays calm, and he's a great guy as well

- And we really won't know that until we get some live reps.  Preseason and the first couple games it's still going to be a feeling out process.  I will say I'm excited for what we got going on right now.  We got a lot of guys hungry - lot of guys who want to learn.  We're still working as a group.  It's not going to be perfect right away - probably won't be perfect at all times but we'll get there

- Talk about how you handle - 4 new starters on OL, 14  guys in camp there first or 2nd year with Bills, whole bunch of new guys.  As QB how do you go about it - what's the approach - do you use every cadence variation, run every play play in the playbook - are you throwing it all at them now or are you building slowly

- I think that's one of the things Brandon Beane did, when you look at the guys we wanted to add to our team, first he looked at the physical aspects - how tough they were on the field.  Secondly he went after - can they learn the offense.  I think we have a lot of smart guys in our locker room.  I really believe that and I appreciate their ability to come in, learn a new concept, then go out on the field and go execute.  We got a lot of real professional football players here - I'm not saying we didn't have that last year, it just feels different.  I think as far as from top to bottom we've got guys who are hungry, are focused, it's just throughout the entire building and I think that's a key change

- We're putting it all in right now.  We're throwing it at people, trying to figure out if they can handle it or not.  for the most part we've been able to handle it.  That's why I said I appreciate these guys coming in every day to work

- Keeping my base the same.  Many times last year I'm here - then I get here in my stance then get wide again and that causes the whole sequence to kind of be off.  It's about staying here, being able to jump on my toes here, and be able to react to anything that happens.  If I see a guy open throw a guy open.  Being comfortable in the pocket, trusting the guys around me, ultimately trusting the receivers to get the right depth, and putting it where it needs to be

- It's unbelievable.  you know I grew up a Frank Gore fan - I was a 49'ers fan.  I had multiple jerseys of his - the red one the white one the black one.  For him to still be playing at the level he is is unbelievable.  You meet the guy you see how hard he works, you see him in practice and the type of effort he gives on every play - it's a HOF work ethic and it's infectious to everyone in the building.  For me - just talking to him he's studious - he's very professional and it's all about football when he's on the field.  It's unbelievable to have him

God bless you for typing all that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

We should have plenty of RB's this year Josh...we know you can run!