Gruden hearts Peterman

54 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I took one  of my friends to their first NFL game, and THAT masterpiece on ineptitude was it. We ended up having fun because we just got piss drunk, and started shouting "It's PETER-MAAAAN! Throw the Touchdown Ball, PETER-MAAAN!", and various iterations thereof...

Somehow, they are still, to this day, may friend, though I doubt they'll ever attend a Bills game, again. ?‍♂️

I was there as well.  Left at halftime.  My brother and I were so fed up.  Cold beers back at the house.

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I’m not debating that he had little success or the fact that his numbers are terrible.  

But to say that coaches are keeping him around because “he’s a nice guy,” is completely speculatory on your part.  Not a fact.   

I don’t know what McDermott and Gruden see in NP.  You did a good job of showing how poor his numbers are.  I’m just saying that there have to be reasons why he has a roster spot and was tagged to be a bottom tier NFL QB during his draft class.  

They certainly aren’t keeping him around for his production. He has been TWICE as bad as the next worst QB since entering the league. He’s a nice guy, that tries hard so he gets a chance. 

He has been historically bad, not a guy with some struggles. I understand why Losman & EJ got chances again. They had some tools and flashed some. Ultimately they weren’t very good but there was SOMETHING that the next team could point to. Nate doesn’t have the physical tools, makes awful decisions and has the worst tape of any player to play the position. Him being a nice guy and a good teammate is the only logical reason that I can come up with.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The notion that a coach would keep a player because he is a good guy makes little sense. The coach has an interest in assembling a roster that is not only in the team's interest but also in his best interest. The wrestling coach put him in the roster. It didn't work out. So he was let go. Another team and coach brought him onto his roster. He is being evaluated like any other player. If he earns a spot then he earns a spot. The argument that he is keeping a more worthy player of the roster makes little sense because if that peculiar logic is applied then every player on the team is keeping other worthy players off the roster. 

This isn't a complicated issue. A coach/s evaluate players. If they want to put the player on the roster then it is done because they believe that the player earned the roster spot. Most of us agree that Peterman is not a starting caliber of qb in the NFL. That doesn't mean that he can't carve out a useful role as a backup. 

If you look earlier in the thread I provided multiple stats that have him worse than any QB in the last 40 years. Not near the bottom, but dead last. The point that I was making is that if EVERYONE else has performed better (and the stats support it) EVERY player would be more likely to carve out a useful role than him.

Based on the stats, Deshone Kizer is twice as likely to carve out a useful role as Peterman. Deshone Kizer has the 2nd worst passer rating since NP entered the league. Why waste a spot on a guy that is 1/2 as effective as Deshone Kizer? You can throw a rock and find a guy that can give you what NP does. It’s the definition of insanity at this point. Run NP out there and get the same performance but expect something different. 

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Can’t wait to see this play out...?

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

Absolutely not.

Does Peterman cry as easily as Carr?  

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Gruden’s termination notice is just writing itself real time. 

I think Mark Davis would fire himself before he fires Gruden.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you look earlier in the thread I provided multiple stats that have him worse than any QB in the last 40 years. Not near the bottom, but dead last. The point that I was making is that if EVERYONE else has performed better (and the stats support it) EVERY player would be more likely to carve out a useful role than him.

Based on the stats, Deshone Kizer is twice as likely to carve out a useful role as Peterman. Deshone Kizer has the 2nd worst passer rating since NP entered the league. Why waste a spot on a guy that is 1/2 as effective as Deshone Kizer? You can throw a rock and find a guy that can give you what NP does. It’s the definition of insanity at this point. Run NP out there and get the same performance but expect something different. 

McDermott and Gruden both disagreed with your judgment on this particular player that you loathe. I believe that there is a backup role for him in this league. Apparently some coaches in the profession also believe so. Let's wait and see how this plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I was a kid, I had a really hard time watching Gilligan's Island. My problem was that I was too empathetic. Every time I would see Gilligan start to screw up, I would get an almost physical reaction. I would see him lined up to do something really stupid, or inept, and it would make me squirm. I hated watching that show, but I couldn't tear my eyes away. Nate Peterman.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

McDermott and Gruden both disagreed with your judgment on this particular player that you loathe. I believe that there is a backup role for him in this league. Apparently some coaches in the profession also believe so. Let's wait and see how this plays out. 

They disagreed with my judgement. However, the facts support me and not them. 198 NFL people picked someone other than Tom Brady in 2000. Just because they work in the NFL doesn’t make them right. Every time Peterman has stepped out on the field my stance (and that of many others here) has been proven more true than before. I thought starting him the 1st time was a huge mistake. McDermott didn’t think that. I was right. He was wrong. 

I don't care what coaches think the guy can play. He can’t. His play has proven that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Are you suggesting that McDermott, who in a three week span started Derek Anderson off the street with a week of practice and Matt Barkley off the street with a week of practice over Peterman before finally mercifully cutting him, still believes there is a backup role for him in this league?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

It is possible (not probable) the P5t5rman is better QB than he showed in Buffalo and with better QB coach, better OL and better scheme (all which were not good in Buffalo) he will look better. 

He's getting none of those in Oakland.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, transient said:

Are you suggesting that McDermott, who in a three week span started Derek Anderson off the street with a week of practice and Matt Barkley off the street with a week of practice over Peterman before finally mercifully cutting him, still believes there is a backup role for him in this league?

Yes. 

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They disagreed with my judgement. However, the facts support me and not them. 198 NFL people picked someone other than Tom Brady in 2000. Just because they work in the NFL doesn’t make them right. Every time Peterman has stepped out on the field my stance (and that of many others here) has been proven more true than before. I thought starting him the 1st time was a huge mistake. McDermott didn’t think that. I was right. He was wrong. 

I don't care what coaches think the guy can play. He can’t. His play has proven that.

I'm confident in saying that if Peterman makes the Oakland roster you will not be happy. Life can be so unfair. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yes. 

I'm confident in saying that if Peterman makes the Oakland roster you will not be happy. Life can be so unfair. 

I don’t care if he’s on someone else’s roster. I just know that he stinks and damaged my favorite team. Fortunately, they walked away (well after they should have). I don’t care what happens to him but I do think that it’s BS that he keeps getting chances that more deserving players don’t. It bothers me that people still defend him.

I don’t remember anyone that wanted Brohm, Hamdan, Brown or every other scrub QB to get another chance so badly. It’s such a “Billsy” mentality in a lot of ways. We always love the lovable underdog and resent the blue chippers. It is the oddest insecurity complex and Peterman, in many ways, was the poster boy for it. There were people that LEGITIMATELY wanted that guy to start. Give me stars and wins. It doesn’t matter if a guy was an undrafted FA out of NW Central Idaho State that bagged groceries or if he was the top recruit in the country that started at Alabama. I don’t gravitate towards one vs. the other because one feels more “Buffalo.” Maybe it is just me but the whole “lunch pail” mentality doesn’t matter. The ONLY thing that matters to me in player evaluation is “does this guy improve the Bills chances of winning?” In the case of Nathan Peterman, that answer was unequivocally no.

• Awesome! (+1) 1