Gruden hearts Peterman

I wish we all lived in a universe where good people prospered and bad people didn't & thus learned not to be bad.  I think in that universe, we'd see NP develop the skills necessary to be a NFL QB.

Nate's such a weird story.  Chuckie tends to get excited about lots  of college QBs but he genuinely seemed to think that NP would make it in the NFL.  And Nate played well in preseason for us.   The kid really grew on me.  While his arm strength wasn't ideal, he seemed to have the skills to be a good backup.  His accuracy, poise, understanding of the playbook, and work ethic all seemed solid.   As I recall, he led the NFL in passer rating one preseason.  

And then the regular season happened and it was one bad mistake following another.  Whatever talent he displayed in the preseason simply evaporated.   It was like Jekyll  and Hyde - hard to believe we were watching the same guy.  He was so bad I was genuinely surprised his NFL career didn't end when the Bills released him.  But if anyone was going to give him another chance, it had to be Gruden.       

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Last year's Bears game should have been Peterman's last game ever.  Absolutely horrible.  I'm being nice because several posters would say he should have been gone even sooner.

I took one  of my friends to their first NFL game, and THAT masterpiece on ineptitude was it. We ended up having fun because we just got piss drunk, and started shouting "It's PETER-MAAAAN! Throw the Touchdown Ball, PETER-MAAAN!", and various iterations thereof...

Somehow, they are still, to this day, may friend, though I doubt they'll ever attend a Bills game, again. ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here are some facts then:

- 356 QBs have thrown at least 130 passes over the last 40 NFL seasons. Nate Peterman ranks DEAD LAST with a passer rating of 32.5. Only one other player (Spergyon Wynn at 39.5) is below a rating of 42.

- Nate Peterman’s 9.2 INT % ranks DEAD LAST and only one other guy is above a 7 (Peter Tom Willis at 8.2).

Peterman is doing this in an era where guys are lighting it up in the passing game. To further the example, since he entered the league his passer rating is 32.5. The next lowest of ANY QB in that window with at least 130 pass attempts is 60. The next worst QB in the league has been TWICE as good as Nate.

I’m not debating that he had little success or the fact that his numbers are terrible.  

But to say that coaches are keeping him around because “he’s a nice guy,” is completely speculatory on your part.  Not a fact.   

I don’t know what McDermott and Gruden see in NP.  You did a good job of showing how poor his numbers are.  I’m just saying that there have to be reasons why he has a roster spot and was tagged to be a bottom tier NFL QB during his draft class.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tyrod has a winning record as a starter and didn’t make mistakes. You only have your resume to stand on. Nate’s resume is WAY worse than a lot of guys that were given less chances. Were you appalled that Levi Brown didn’t get more chances? Was he treated unfairly? He certainly never collapsed like Peterman. Why does Nate deserve a chance? He has failed at his. I feel much worse for guys like Brown or Hamdan or the thousands of other guys that didn’t get the chance that Nate did (and keeps getting). 

It is a production business and he has not EARNED a spot on a NFL roster. He has been GIVEN it because he’s a nice guy. If I were EJ or whomever, I’d be furious. This guy that hasn’t never done anything is taking a check that I am more deserving of.

How would you feel if that was your job? What if you were in a sales role and everyone liked you. You were BY FAR the worst salesman in the organization but they fired someone else because you were a nice guy. That other guy has a family. That other guy has proven to be better at the role than you. Why should he not have the chance but a proven failure should?

That’s close, I think Grossman had a game that was equally terrible. They also had moments of success. Nate only failed.

The notion that a coach would keep a player because he is a good guy makes little sense. The coach has an interest in assembling a roster that is not only in the team's interest but also in his best interest. The wrestling coach put him in the roster. It didn't work out. So he was let go. Another team and coach brought him onto his roster. He is being evaluated like any other player. If he earns a spot then he earns a spot. The argument that he is keeping a more worthy player of the roster makes little sense because if that peculiar logic is applied then every player on the team is keeping other worthy players off the roster. 

This isn't a complicated issue. A coach/s evaluate players. If they want to put the player on the roster then it is done because they believe that the player earned the roster spot. Most of us agree that Peterman is not a starting caliber of qb in the NFL. That doesn't mean that he can't carve out a useful role as a backup. 

• Like (+1) 2