What do you think of Millennials?

Another Fan

53 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Guess what...two individuals were let go Monday. They didn't act surprised, but they were mad that they had to drive to work to find out!

that's awful... and how it sadly goes sometimes...

a few years back they fired all the accounting students that didn't pass their pre-final exams

that was 14 of the 15 in the bullpen, the only one who passed was a good friend and they told him they despised him and he had 60 days to find another job

3 of the 14 were on vacation (and transferring to another firm office) when the news came, and didn't find out until day one at the new job...

one friend had a good meeting on a Friday with his boss that ended at 4"30pm and he went home and a voice mail at 4:32 from the boss said he was fired...

image.png.b86b223c1718183fbba0a07cbd6957e2.png

one managing partner went around with an employee list and clipboard to see who was still at their desk/cubicle at 5:30pm most Friday afternoons, what a dick...

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

that's awful... and how it sadly goes sometimes...

a few years back they fired all the accounting students that didn't pass their pre-final exams

that was 14 of the 15 in the bullpen, the only one who passed was a good friend and they told him they despised him and he had 60 days to find another job

3 of the 14 were on vacation (and transferring to another firm office) when the news came, and didn't find out until day one at the new job...

one friend had a good meeting on a Friday with his boss that ended at 4"30pm and he went home and a voice mail at 4:32 from the boss said he was fired...

image.png.b86b223c1718183fbba0a07cbd6957e2.png

Awful reality, but thats how some employers are. 

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yup, better to be hired by people you will be working with daily

I am much older of course, but also very fortunate. I can see now that my boss hired me because she was far overloaded. We touch base a few days a week...evidently she has confidence in me. But we should never get too comfortable...nor should we take long lunch breaks! ha!

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I am much older of course, but also very fortunate. I can see now that my boss hired me because she was far overloaded. We touch base a few days a week...evidently she has confidence in me. But we should never get too comfortable...nor should we take long lunch breaks! ha!

for sure

you showed up at the right time to solve a real problem for her and continue to do so, that's what it all boils down to

unless you work for a place that requires nothing from you

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

for sure

you showed up at the right time to solve a real problem for her and continue to do so, that's what it all boils down to

unless you work for a place that requires nothing from you

Good guess, and you are right on. The week that I was hired, there was a gaping hole after a turnover. She later told me that I was exactly what she was looking for. All of the long hours in Buffalo paid off. I am the WNY guy in the Chicagoland branch! 

5 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Good guess, and you are right on. The week that I was hired, there was a gaping hole after a turnover. She later told me that I was exactly what she was looking for. All of the long hours in Buffalo paid off. I am the WNY guy in the Chicagoland branch! 

good to hear a success story

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Where I work, the lunch break rule is 30 minutes. The Millenials have decided that 30 minutes is not enough for them, so they take 60-90 minutes!

In college I worked for UPS as a sorter in the wee hours of the night. It paid VERY well, so I didn’t mind the hours. Every once in a while you get a 15 minute break. I had nowhere to go, and nothing to do, so I just kept working. THAT got shut down in a HURRY! Not a millennial thing, but a union thing (which I I was not part of as seasonal help). You learn the break is NOT optional. I swear, sitting there for 15 minutes went by slower than an hour of work. 

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Guess what...two individuals were let go Monday. They didn't act surprised, but they were mad that they had to drive to work to find out!

That was borderline cruel that they didn’t put a little note on their pillows, and maybe leave a cookie or two. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

In college I worked for UPS as a sorter in the wee hours of the night. It paid VERY well, so I didn’t mind the hours. Every once in a while you get a 15 minute break. I had nowhere to go, and nothing to do, so I just kept working. THAT got shut down in a HURRY! Not a millennial thing, but a union thing (which I I was not part of as seasonal help). You learn the break is NOT optional. I swear, sitting there for 15 minutes went by slower than an hour of work. 

That was borderline cruel that they didn’t put a little note on their pillows, and maybe leave a cookie or two. ?

I know what you mean. I have had several jobs like that. Like it or not, we have to take our breaks and lunch. We are flexible with our breaks...as long as we Don't push it and leave people hanging. It is excessive to extend lunch to 90 minutes. After awhile, people get pi....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

good to hear a success story

It’s amazing what is possible if you’re willing to work really hard! My son recently talked to a guy about a new position. My wife asked “will that get in the way of your MBA program?” He responded, “no, even in the busy season they hardly ever work more than 60-65 hours a week. Plenty of time to finish the MBA.” Those are light hours compared to a couple positions he’s had, and he’s willing to invest now in his own future. 

Some people face very difficult obstacles, NO DOUBT!  Most people, however,  decide how far they want to go with the question: how hard am I willing to work? (For the record, I worked really hard, but freely admit I never worked as hard as they both work....and it showed in the results. Just a fact.) 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Ten pages and no one posted my favorite millennial song...

I heard an insurance ad on the radio today that made me laugh. They say “yeah, he’s got some college educated, self-entitled squatters living in his house too!” 

• Haha (+1) 1