What do you think of Millennials?

Another Fan

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

So if you’re born after 1980 that makes you one.   Technically I’m considered one.

In general that phrase I think has a negative vibe to it.  People think self observed, lazy, rude, pampered, weak, etc...

I’d agree this generation doesn’t really have the best work ethic.  Only think I would say in that defense is my dad worked for the same company for 35 years before being laid off.  So loyalty can be a two way street.  Plus many were going to school and or looking for jobs around when the economy collapsed back in 2008 

My son is a millennial, but he's over 30 now so a reasonable human being (honestly, he's never been bad).

I just wish he'd get married and have kids. This putting off marriage and children is not getting me any grandchildren while I am young enough to enjoy them. :censored:  He is over-education, but no student loan debt, owns his own house (well, with his gf... did I mention I wish he would get married and have kids?), has a great job, yada yada.

I don't have much to complain about... well, except the lack of grandchildren.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My son is a millennial, but he's over 30 now so a reasonable human being (honestly, he's never been bad).

I just wish he'd get married and have kids. This putting off marriage and children is not getting me any grandchildren while I am young enough to enjoy them. :censored:  He is over-education, but no student loan debt, owns his own house (well, with his gf... did I mention I wish he would get married and have kids?), has a great job, yada yada.

I don't have much to complain about... well, except the lack of grandchildren.

Boomer?  ?

Just giving ya heck! J/K

There is always this approach:

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Is 1980 considered the “millennial start”? I hadn’t heard it was that far back. My adult kids think it’s ‘90 and up and I’ve seen other reports claim ‘00 -as in the actual Millennial. My Son will be 39 next month (‘80). Neither he nor I consider him a millennial. 

Just asking. Anyway, I’ve hired a few in my mgmnt heyday. As mixed results as any era. Fantastic players and leaders/slacking deadbeats. I think there’s far less to it than the hype.

Yep, it starts at 1980.

In 1995 you get to iGen/Gen Z

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not what I'd expect from a member of the Silent Generation.

Thanks for correcting! 

I keep calling the Silent Generation the Lost Generation.

My bad.  All references above to Lost Generation, should be be deemed Silent Generation.  My parents were Silent Generation and model the Xers to an extent.

Greatest had the Boomers.  Boy THAT is a 180° about face.

Too many terms here.  My bad. LoL... Not the first time I confuse, and won't be the last!

51 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Generally,

• Boomers don't know how to use a computer.
  • Gen X-ers don't know how to fix a car
  • Millennials don't know  how to change a light bulb.
  • Zombies eat tide pods
  • Morons keep posting to this thread

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

As a millenial, I literally write users manuals for a living. That are distributed as both PDF and paper.

And if you hate people who want their fair share of free stuff, you're okay with us getting rid of social security, right?

Social security isn't free stuff. If it was, my paycheck would look a lot better than it does.

46 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

i don't really buy the Millenial thing starts with 1980.  i have a friend born in the early 80s that commented on the early 80s mark for millenials and was like "f*ck it, i don't want to be a millenial.  i hate millenials"

Wow!  Guess what, that comment cements it, their a Millennial!

If it goes to court... That's Exhibit A.  You should have read them their Miranda Rights! They're toast!

52 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Would you be okay with it being phased out? Say anybody under 40 no longer pays into it, or atleast can opt out?

I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't feel that it's fair that someone  who has paid in all their life doesn't get anything on the back end. 

55 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Would you be okay with it being phased out? Say anybody under 40 no longer pays into it, or atleast can opt out?

No.  Because when the are all ancient, which they are 1/2 there already... I don't want to see their azz out on the street.  I live up North.

We are a compassionate country.  This ain't Maricopa County. It gets to -30°F here.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't feel that it's fair that someone  who has paid in all their life doesn't get anything on the back end. 

Huh?  They get something back:

"Social Security"

Millennials will want a yacht.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have been managing millenials for many years.

Generally speaking, they suck.

• They have a ridiculous false sense of entitlement.
  • They expect to get a raise BEFORE upping their game, which blows me away every time.
  • And if, by chance, they up their game before they get a raise, they will basically demand a raise about 5 minutes after they go above and beyond.
  • They worry about others WAY more than they worry about themselves.
  • Most of them seem to "suffer" from some sort of anxiety, which is just a byproduct of big pharma/doctors misdiagnosing and unnecessarily prescribing medications.
  • They have zero loyalty/dedication to their co-workers or their employer.
  • They abuse FMLA, bereavement and paid family leave (New York State) without batting an eye.

Again - I am generalizing, but each year it gets worse.  In a nutshell, they are lazy pieces of *****.

There are DEFINITELY exceptions ... but not many.

Is your most used phrase at work: You are fired?:ph34r: 

• Haha (+1) 1

NEWSFLASH:

Almost everybody in society has entitlement and narcissistic tendencies.  It's individualistic culture that has been ramped up in the last 40 years.  Too many choices, too identity driven.  Most want to be special and treated special.  It's preached to us in everything.  Got an app?  Go to the front of the line!

Millennials are the first generation to experience diminished economic prospects compared to their parents since the great depression. So everything is going to take longer and be harder for them. With diminished prospects come delayed starting of families or the complete avoidance of them. That spells cultural failure for the west. I don't blame this on millennials, it's a symptom of worsening economic prospects. 

Some millennials I meet seem incredibly entitled, immature, spoiled and self centred and others I meet are educated, polite, technologically savvy and way more together than I was at their age. 

If millennials are living in their parents basement, it's mostly due to poor job prospects and unfathomable real estate prices. All of these factors are not of their own making. 

Some millennials are being over indulged by their parents which is also not their own doing but it's something for which they will be disserviced.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Millennials are the first generation to experience diminished economic prospects compared to their parents since the great depression. So everything is going to take longer and be harder for them. With diminished prospects come delayed starting of families or the complete avoidance of them. That spells cultural failure for the west. I don't blame this on millennials, it's a symptom of worsening economic prospects. 

Some millennials I meet seem incredibly entitled, immature, spoiled and self centred and others I meet are educated, polite, technologically savvy and way more together than I was at their age. 

If millennials are living in their parents basement, it's mostly due to poor job prospects and unfathomable real estate prices. All of these factors are not of their own making. 

Some millennials are being over indulged by their parents which is also not their own doing but it's something for which they will be disserviced.

Some of this I agree with!  

Yet... Just like the Great Depression, they have two feet, they can move.  I have a 20 year old house... Built in 1996 for $150K... It's worth $40k Less now.  I am close to Chicago market, there are jobs here.  It's in a decent, but 100 year old, town.  All new houses around it...

Deals can be had near where jobs are.

The economy is humming (slight sarcasm there).

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Is your most used phrase at work: You are fired?:ph34r: 

That's actually a myth; spread by multiple board pricks!  But believe me ... if I could find more who actually wanted to WORK, I'd fire more.

5 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

That's the problem. They don't. And it won't be around by the time we're old enough to use it. So we're essentially paying for Boomers retirement funds.

Since the government had been in charge of student loans for 20 years, and essentially had a monopoly, I think a fair compromise would be to eliminate, or at least severely reduce the interest on the loans. And from here on out, have student loans be on the free market. 

I get paid either way, so not really. Lol.

I will buy you many beers of your choice if you can make them stop calling our land line about all the student loans we don’t have! I’m thinking of getting rid of the land line due to the half dozen calls a day I get, and only about one a month I want. 

P.S. I don’t want to hear about my car warranty or my credit card rates either!   

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's actually a myth; spread by multiple board pricks!  But believe me ... if I could find more who actually wanted to WORK, I'd fire more.

As a boss you are tough but also fair. That's all one can ask for. By the way are you calling me a prick??? If you are do you mean it in a positive way? :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As a boss you are tough but also fair. That's all one can ask for. By the way are you calling me a prick??? If you are do you mean it in a positive way? :)

I am ridiculously fair.  I spend about 10% of each week playing Dr. Phil.  I only get tough when I know I'm being taken advantage of.  

The biggest problem is that these kids are always looking for a bigger paycheck.  I get that.  We all want to make more money.  But they don't take into account things like having a flexible, empathetic manager.  And we give people 24 days of PTO to start.  That is unheard of.  Health benefits are insanely inexpensive and decent.  I pay less than $30/month for employee-only benefits.  

I have kids quitting so they can wait tables because they're bringing home more money each week during the summer.  They don't think big picture.  It's sad.

• Like (+1) 1