What do you think of Millennials?

Another Fan

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

People think self observed, lazy, rude, pampered, weak, etc...

I'd put that characterization more on the Boomers, who've made a real mess of the country (I'm one myself, so I fell bad about how things turned out for the 'flower power' generation).

The millennials I know and work with give me hope that things will get better.   Yes, they don't have the same work ethic as their greedy older sibs and parents--who were motivated by money, status, money, social climbing and money--but they're much more in tune with technology and how to use it efficiently, more conscious of diversity being a good thing and less judgmental/prejudiced about the state of the world.   

Other than a soaring national debt, bankrupt social security fund and climate change, things should be OK when they take the reigns...

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I have been managing millenials for many years.

Generally speaking, they suck.

• They have a ridiculous false sense of entitlement.
  • They expect to get a raise BEFORE upping their game, which blows me away every time.
  • And if, by chance, they up their game before they get a raise, they will basically demand a raise about 5 minutes after they go above and beyond.
  • They worry about others WAY more than they worry about themselves.
  • Most of them seem to "suffer" from some sort of anxiety, which is just a byproduct of big pharma/doctors misdiagnosing and unnecessarily prescribing medications.
  • They have zero loyalty/dedication to their co-workers or their employer.
  • They abuse FMLA, bereavement and paid family leave (New York State) without batting an eye.

Again - I am generalizing, but each year it gets worse.  In a nutshell, they are lazy pieces of *****.

There are DEFINITELY exceptions ... but not many.

Go Boomer, go...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I have been managing millenials for many years.

Generally speaking, they suck.

• They have a ridiculous false sense of entitlement.
  • They expect to get a raise BEFORE upping their game, which blows me away every time.
  • And if, by chance, they up their game before they get a raise, they will basically demand a raise about 5 minutes after they go above and beyond.
  • They worry about others WAY more than they worry about themselves.
  • Most of them seem to "suffer" from some sort of anxiety, which is just a byproduct of big pharma/doctors misdiagnosing and unnecessarily prescribing medications.
  • They have zero loyalty/dedication to their co-workers or their employer.
  • They abuse FMLA, bereavement and paid family leave (New York State) without batting an eye.

Again - I am generalizing, but each year it gets worse.  In a nutshell, they are lazy pieces of *****.

There are DEFINITELY exceptions ... but not many.

This fits my experience with Millennials as well.

• One guy wanted a bonus for showing up to work, on time, his first Month on the job; like that's an accomplishment.
  • Many will tell you they are the best worker... if they cared enough to try; but they won't because the company doesn't care about them.
  • There is no initiative; they are perfectly content to accomplish nothing the whole day.
  • When they don't know what to do, instead of asking, or learning for themselves, they'll sit there on their phone till someone notices.
  • There is no loyalty or team bonding; they don't talk to anyone. Any free time  is used to bury their face in their phone.

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'd put that characterization more on the Boomers, who've made a real mess of the country (I'm one myself, so I fell bad about how things turned out for the 'flower power' generation).

The millennials I know and work with give me hope that things will get better.   Yes, they don't have the same work ethic as their greedy older sibs and parents--who were motivated by money, status, money, social climbing and money--but they're much more in tune with technology and how to use it efficiently, more conscious of diversity being a good thing and less judgmental/prejudiced about the state of the world.   

Other than a soaring national debt, bankrupt social security fund and climate change, things should be OK when they take the reigns...

Wrong. My generation is pretty terrible and way too sensitive. We are f****d when we take the reigns. We all decided having a degree was of the utmost importance. Yet we failed to realize that although majoring in our passions like Gender Studies or Interpretive Dance was fun, it left us unemployable . STEM is too boring despite its long term benefits.

How can we expect to accomplish anything when we're too busy trying to decide what pronoun to use for each unique individual we come across? Let alone make actual decisions.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Go Boomer, go...

Thanks for this post.

I can't help but wonder how a "what do you think of baby boomers?" post would go. I also can't help but wonder how the OP THOUGHT this thread would turn out. When asking for opinions on an entire generation of people, I can't imagine the conversation going any direction but sideways.

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yes, they don't have the same work ethic as their greedy older sibs and parents--who were motivated by money, status, money, social climbing and money--but they're much more in tune with technology and how to use it efficiently,

Go Boomer, go...

They don't know how to use technology, they know how to consume it. I've seen very few (none) that is able to fix anything when it stops working. I've found that many don't bother learning anything, because they know they can google the answer, later.

Ever try giving a millennial something to read that's written on paper? Like a user manual...

They are even more greedy than previous generations. Not only do they complain that the government is going bankrupt, many still support INCREASING the debt even more to fund universal healthcare, forgive student loan debt, etc.... so they can get their fair share of FREE STuff.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for this post.

I can't help but wonder how a "what do you think of baby boomers?" post would go. I also can't help but wonder how the OP THOUGHT this thread would turn out. When asking for opinions on an en entire generation of people, I can't imagine the conversation going any direction but sideways.

No one ever talks about Gen-X. The forgotten generation. The Ones who didn't screw anything up, but helped build the internet.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I think they should be very resentful of how the Boomers ruined everything, and let us Xers continue on our individual paths

The X-ers can be blamed for not caring enough to fix things before it got out of hand.

• They saw kids getting participation trophies and just laughed.
  • They thought that re-cycling was enough to save the environment.
  • They allowed diversity of skin to replace diversity of thought.
  • They let music die.

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Go Boomer, go...

I am a Gen Xer, actually.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

The X-ers can be blamed for not caring enough to fix things before it got out of hand.

• They saw kids getting participation trophies and just laughed.
  • They thought that re-cycling was enough to save the environment.
  • They allowed diversity of skin to replace diversity of thought.
  • They let music die.

Participation trophies and ribbons have been around 80 years in sports, fine with me as long as the best are also recognized, 

music died around 1975, with some pockets of excellence here and there since, the Boomers gave us the best music

Boomers will continue at President for the next term, X never had a chance and doesn’t care

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have 3 children born from 1984 through 1992 

None of them claim to be "a millennial".    

a buddy at work in his mid 30's  denies he's a millennial

I think Millennials are getting a bad reputation because they're too young to have really accomplished anything yet.

All bad, and nothing good (yet).

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, mead107 said:

HARD WORKING ?????????????????????????????????????????????? 85%have no clue what work is.   

I worked 5 hours. Why should I have to work 3 more.  And you didn’t do crap the first 5 hours. 

I want more money but I don’t want to work for it. 

Hey, Pot.  Meet Kettle!

You were union for GE and you're criticizing people who make money for doing next to nothing???  Holy hypocrite, Batman!

Where do you think Millenials learned this behavior??

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Participation trophies and ribbons have been around 80 years in sports, fine with me as long as the best are also recognized, 

music died around 1975, with some pockets of excellence here and there since, the Boomers gave us the best music

Boomers will continue at President for the next term, X never had a chance and doesn’t care

X-ers had it the best. They got all the benefits given to the boomers and none of the headaches landing on Millennial's heads.

Also, I think they had the best tv shows/movies... being able to watch the originals as well as the remakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

X-ers had it the best. They got all the benefits given to the boomers and none of the headaches landing on Millennial's heads.

Also, I think they had the best tv shows/movies... being able to watch the originals as well as the remakes.

X realized it wouldn’t make as much as Boomers, whined a bit but got down to brass tacks

12 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I think Millennials are getting a bad reputation because they're too young to have really accomplished anything yet.

All bad, and nothing good (yet).

the rotten Millennial's spoil  it for the whole bunch 

I just   K'd my millennial friend at work .... 

his reply ....  

dont you "K" me  
14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hey, Pot.  Meet Kettle!

You were union for GE and you're criticizing people who make money for doing next to nothing???  Holy hypocrite, Batman!

Where do you think Millenials learned this behavior??

I've seen a lot of manpower go to waste because of unions.

Come in Saturday.  we might have work ..  Union worker goes to work, the boards are not ready for test, said worker(s) sit and read a book for 4 hours then go home collecting OT pay