What do you think of Millennials?

Another Fan

So if you’re born after 1980 that makes you one.   Technically I’m considered one.

In general that phrase I think has a negative vibe to it.  People think self observed, lazy, rude, pampered, weak, etc...

I’d agree this generation doesn’t really have the best work ethic.  Only think I would say in that defense is my dad worked for the same company for 35 years before being laid off.  So loyalty can be a two way street.  Plus many were going to school and or looking for jobs around when the economy collapsed back in 2008 

like most things, i find it's just person to person dependent.  i come across a lot of different ages at work, and i'm really impressed by some of the younger people that come through.  hard working, motivated, pleasant, etc.  i find the minority to be on the lazy side.  i'm sure it's just more of the demographic i'm coming across, but i don't see the typical stereotypes of millennials that we see thrown about every day.

• Like (+1) 3

Is 1980 considered the “millennial start”? I hadn’t heard it was that far back. My adult kids think it’s ‘90 and up and I’ve seen other reports claim ‘00 -as in the actual Millennial. My Son will be 39 next month (‘80). Neither he nor I consider him a millennial. 

Just asking. Anyway, I’ve hired a few in my mgmnt heyday. As mixed results as any era. Fantastic players and leaders/slacking deadbeats. I think there’s far less to it than the hype.

• Like (+1) 4

75% of the millennials I work with have a poor work ethic, can't multitask and want the world handed to them on a plate.  There are a few good ones though.  I will say there are plenty of Gen-X and boomers that are just as lazy though

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I feel bad for them because we are leaving them a mess.

I ain't.

Then again... Another name for millennial is: "Echo Boomer" because they echo their boomer parents.

Your post rings true I suppose. Doomed to repeat the mess.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I’m 35 and don’t really consider myself a millennial. It’s obviously very person specific and I think it’s like most things, when you have a good family structure & support and are surrounded by those with the same, the results are usually smart, productive, successful members of society. It’s harder without those type of things.

I will say though as a sweeping generalization, I think there is a huge difference between people my age and people who are 6-7+ years younger. I think a lot of that comes from internet, smart phones, media, etc. presenting a false picture of what life is. Not everyone “deserves” to be a seasoned international traveller by the time they’re 24. Not everyone “deserves” to step out of undergrad with a worthless degree knocking down 6 figures. But that’s all younger people see these days. It’s keeping up with the Jones’ on speed. I do think there is a real problem with entitlement in the younger generation.  

I phone interviewed someone yesterday and within 5 minutes was hearing a sob story about his day earlier at his current job where they were very busy and he had to push his lunch break back. This same person probably thinks they should walk in the door and command a 50 grand salary with zero experience in our field, merely by gracing us with his presence. That’s what happens when mcDs is paying $15 / hr though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

So if you’re born after 1980 that makes you one.   Technically I’m considered one.

In general that phrase I think has a negative vibe to it.  People think self observed, lazy, rude, pampered, weak, etc...

I’d agree this generation doesn’t really have the best work ethic.  Only think I would say in that defense is my dad worked for the same company for 35 years before being laid off.  So loyalty can be a two way street.  Plus many were going to school and or looking for jobs around when the economy collapsed back in 2008 

Thought it was 1990? Don't think it's that far back, may be wrong though.

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Is 1980 considered the “millennial start”? I hadn’t heard it was that far back. My adult kids think it’s ‘90 and up and I’ve seen other reports claim ‘00 -as in the actual Millennial. My Son will be 39 next month (‘80). Neither he nor I consider him a millennial. 

Just asking. Anyway, I’ve hired a few in my mgmnt heyday. As mixed results as any era. Fantastic players and leaders/slacking deadbeats. I think there’s far less to it than the hype.

He's a millennial.  Can even go as early as 1977.  But, I think that is too early.

Xers are really a small splintered group defined by being closer to how Boomers behave or how Millennials behave.  But, like I said... Those two are echoes of each other.

I think you really do see thr shift with the kids being born in the 1970s... SO much radically changed during the years, namely the way children were educated at the elementary education level...

1980 is definitely millennial. So much changed that year.

8 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I’m 35 and don’t really consider myself a millennial. It’s obviously very person specific and I think it’s like most things, when you have a good family structure & support and are surrounded by those with the same, the results are usually smart, productive, successful members of society. It’s harder without those type of things.

I will say though as a sweeping generalization, I think there is a huge difference between people my age and people who are 6-7+ years younger. I think a lot of that comes from internet, smart phones, media, etc. presenting a false picture of what life is. Not everyone “deserves” to be a seasoned international traveller by the time they’re 24. Not everyone “deserves” to step out of undergrad with a worthless degree knocking down 6 figures. But that’s all younger people see these days. It’s keeping up with the Jones’ on speed. I do think there is a real problem with entitlement in the younger generation.  

I phone interviewed someone yesterday and within 5 minutes was hearing a sob story about his day earlier at his current job where they were very busy and he had to push his lunch break back. This same person probably thinks they should walk in the door and command a 50 grand salary with zero experience in our field, merely by gracing us with his presence. That’s what happens when mcDs is paying $15 / hr though. 

LoL... 1984 is a millennial! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I didn't think it was either but after looking around its anyone born between 1981 and 1996.

After that its Gen Z, born between 1995 and 2015. Strange how the ending and beginning years overlap though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, T&C said:

I didn't think it was either but after looking around its anyone born between 1981 and 1996.

After that its Gen Z, born between 1995 and 2015. Strange how the ending and beginning years overlap though.

Fair enough... My parents were not Boomers, my children not millennials... Thank heavens!

• Haha (+1) 1

HARD WORKING ?????????????????????????????????????????????? 85%have no clue what work is.   

I worked 5 hours. Why should I have to work 3 more.  And you didn’t do crap the first 5 hours. 

I want more money but I don’t want to work for it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Image result for millennial is the term we use to infantilize

So what's the term for every other age group that's living through the same circumstances. That statement seems like a bunch of garbage to me. If your "30 something" and still haven't figured out how to get your ***** together, maybe it's not completely due to society. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mead107 said:

HARD WORKING ?????????????????????????????????????????????? 85%have no clue what work is.   

I worked 5 hours. Why should I have to work 3 more.  And you didn’t do crap the first 5 hours. 

I want more money but I don’t want to work for it. 

I think you missed the memo Meadster:

Millennial = Echo Boomer

Echo Boomer is another name for Millennial because they echo their Baby Boomer parents.

6 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

So what's the term for every other age group that's living through the same circumstances. That statement seems like a bunch of garbage to me. If your "30 something" and still haven't figured out how to get your ***** together, maybe it's not completely due to society. 

Cut them (30 somethings... Hey wasn't their a show about them in the 1980s) slack Jack (I know you're really NOT Jack... But you know more than "Jack")!

Their just still kids!  Go easy on them.

I have been managing millenials for many years.

Generally speaking, they suck.

• They have a ridiculous false sense of entitlement.
  • They expect to get a raise BEFORE upping their game, which blows me away every time.
  • And if, by chance, they up their game before they get a raise, they will basically demand a raise about 5 minutes after they go above and beyond.
  • They worry about others WAY more than they worry about themselves.
  • Most of them seem to "suffer" from some sort of anxiety, which is just a byproduct of big pharma/doctors misdiagnosing and unnecessarily prescribing medications.
  • They have zero loyalty/dedication to their co-workers or their employer.
  • They abuse FMLA, bereavement and paid family leave (New York State) without batting an eye.

Again - I am generalizing, but each year it gets worse.  In a nutshell, they are lazy pieces of *****.

There are DEFINITELY exceptions ... but not many.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I think it mostly refers to the fact that the term "millennial" is often used in derogatory fashion, as in "I bought a house when I was 18, straight out of high school, why can't those lazy, entitled millennials get it together?!". The old, tired trope of millennials as lazy and entitled and/or in any way worse at life than baby boomers ignores the fact the current generation was handed a complete ***** sandwich by the generation that came before. 

Here's an article discussing what I'm talking about:

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/20/16772670/baby-boomers-millennials-congress-debt

"Everyone likes to bash millennials. We’re spoiled, entitled, and hopelessly glued to our smartphones. We demand participation trophies, can’t find jobs, and live with our parents until we’re 30. You know the punchlines by now.

But is the millennial hate justified? Have we dropped the generational baton, or was it a previous generation, the so-called baby boomers, who actually ruined everything?

That’s the argument Bruce Gibney makes in his book A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America. The boomers, according to Gibney, have committed “generational plunder,” pillaging the nation’s economy, repeatedly cutting their own taxes, financing two wars with deficits, ignoring climate change, presiding over the death of America’s manufacturing core, and leaving future generations to clean up the mess they created."

• Like (+1) 3