DirecTv Sunday Ticket- Potential big issues

Beast

Looking for anyone’s insight concerning this issue....if anyone has heard any information.

Subscribers to DirecTv know that many have lost, or will lose, local channels, which carry NFL games. Here in the Binghamton area, we have lost FOX, NBC, ABC and the rumor is we are about to lose CBS.

With starting that, how in hell will DirecTv be able to air any games at all? The only station left that carries games will be ESPN, and that has nothing to do with the Sunday Ticket.

It seems like the NFL should be able to pull the rights away from DirecTv.

I am getting rid of this come the beginning of September if the local channels aren’t back on the air and I highly doubt they will be with the way this company does business since AT&T took over.

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Looking for anyone’s insight concerning this issue....if anyone has heard any information.

Subscribers to DirecTv know that many have lost, or will lose, local channels, which carry NFL games. Here in the Binghamton area, we have lost FOX, NBC, ABC and the rumor is we are about to lose CBS.

With starting that, how in hell will DirecTv be able to air any games at all? The only station left that carries games will be ESPN, and that has nothing to do with the Sunday Ticket.

I am getting rid of this come the beginning of September if the local channels aren’t back on the air and I highly doubt they will be with the way this company does business since AT&T took over.

Can you pick up those stations over the air? 

• Like (+1) 4

Only CBS-owned stations are blacked out on DrecTV and Uverse.   Sunday Ticket doesn’t show games that are on your local CBS feed, so the current blackout of CBS-owned stations shouldn’t affect Sunday Ticket games.  You won’t be able to watch the games on local CBS station on DTV, though.

They’ll resolve it soon anyway.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yeah, the DirectTV/AT&T monster is driving me crazy. My son and I really enjoy programs on the Smithsonian channel. But, now that's blocked on a dispute with CBS. I really wish there was a better option for watching the NFL games other than DirectTV. I live in Houston and I need it; they rarely show the Bills here, unless it's national (which is more rare!)

45 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

These are retransmission agreements with local affiliates, similar to what a cable company would have with them. The worst case scenario IF no agreement is reached ( unlikely imo) is that you would need a Leaf ( or similar) antenna to receive those channels. However, it will not affect your Sunday Ticket package as those are out of market games only. Not a big deal and just a lot of posturing by local affiliates to squeeze the best deal out of DirecTV. 

5 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

That is the reason I got rid of that disaster of a company many years ago. I’m only an hour north of you (Norwich) local channels weren’t available and more often than not Buffalo was the game carried in our market. Where I live over the air is blocked by mountain and trees so that’s also out.

6 hours ago, psuscott16 said:

Pretty sure direct TV just renewed their contract with the NFL. 

Can easily get the local stations for free over the air. May need an antenna.

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

These are retransmission agreements with local affiliates, similar to what a cable company would have with them. The worst case scenario IF no agreement is reached ( unlikely imo) is that you would need a Leaf ( or similar) antenna to receive those channels. However, it will not affect your Sunday Ticket package as those are out of market games only. Not a big deal and just a lot of posturing by local affiliates to squeeze the best deal out of DirecTV. 

How will it not effect out of market games when DirecTv has stopped carrying those networks around most of the country?

Edited by Binghamton Beast

32 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

How will it not effect out of market games when DirecTv has stopped carrying those networks around most of the country?

I'm pretty certain the local stations don't own the broadcast rights to NFL games...the NFL does.  Sunday Ticket doesn't show you a "local" feed -- you see no local ads during those broadcasts, only national ones.  This issue only impacts watching the particular local station in your viewing area.

• Like (+1) 3

Since the FCC got rid of VHF frequencies, my house is out of transmission distance from Buffalo and Erie. I buy the Sunday Ticket. If that goes away, there isn't much keeping me with Directv. 

Free to air, the larger satellite dishes carry all of the local stations from across the USA, for free. That will be my future route.

As far as the rest of the cable stations, a subscription can be bought for those. Then again, I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Since I moved to a place for work I can’t get Direct TV, so the installer of my TV’s told me about a Canadian website that is legit costs $25 a month and you can get all the games.  I know not the best to watch on an I Pad, but it’s that or go to a freakin bar which I don’t want to do.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Since I moved to a place for work I can’t get Direct TV, so the installer of my TV’s told me about a Canadian website that is legit costs $25 a month and you can get all the games.  I know not the best to watch on an I Pad, but it’s that or go to a freakin bar which I don’t want to do.

And the website is?

• Like (+1) 3

This will be a non issue. Your thinking of two completely separate broadcast rights. The only thing that would be blacked out is local games, which were blacked out on DTV Sunday Ticket anyways. That amounts to two or three games a week subject to blackout, which are the two or three carried by your local CBS and FOX affiliates. The remaining games weren’t blacked out then, and will not be now. The local CBS and FOX affiliates only have the rights to air one game locally each at a time. Those will be the ones subject to blackout. 

Edited by Bills2ref

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

This will be a non issue. Your thinking of two completely separate broadcast rights. The only thing that would be blacked out is local games, which were blacked out on DTV Sunday Ticket anyways. That amounts to two or three games a week subject to blackout, which are the two or three carried by your local CBS and FOX affiliates. The remaining games weren’t blacked out then, and will not be now. The local CBS and FOX affiliates only have the rights to air one game locally each at a time. Those will be the ones subject to blackout. 

Sadly for me, I’m in the NYC tri state area where Jets and Giants are the local teams. Those are our first 2 games of the season!! Could you believe if I couldn’t watch? 

7 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Sadly for me, I’m in the NYC tri state area where Jets and Giants are the local teams. Those are our first 2 games of the season!! Could you believe if I couldn’t watch? 

Definitely OTA Antenna that stuff. You should get good reception in that area. I couldn’t imagine not watching the games. This DIRECTV blackout stuff has pushed me to start looking at streaming options again. Unfortunately, I need something with MSG WNY for Sabres games, NFL Network, NFL Redzone and Disney JR. Which pushes me into the $50 price range that I pay DTV anyways ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

this is 100% accurate. For instance, in Richmond , Nexstar only owns the ABC affiliate. 

Trust me, this will be worked out before football starts..you can bet your right nut on that