Bills dead cap number '18 to '19

On 7/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, section122 said:

I still don't think this is the full roster they want.  I think this years signings were about creating depth which is why the number of fa signed was so high.  The cupboard was incredibly bare last year (yes of there own doing).  IIRC a lot of the contracts were prove it deals so I expect some more churning next year as well.  I also think after this year they will push all their chips in and I expect at least 1 big fa splash.

This isn't quite a put up or shut up year but there needs to be improvement in their record and offensive prowess.  This team should be competitive but I don't think it is a contending team yet.  Unless Allen pulls a Mahomes that is...

Spot on.

good post ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not a McBeane "hater," but the notion that creating cap space is some kind of accomplishment is silly.

This is a pivotal season for both. They've surrounded Allen with "enough" talent. The defense is solid if not spectacular. Allen and Daboll are heading into year two together. Results are the only thing that matters and I think we need to retire the cap excuse. This is now THEIR team.

This is fair and true.

I would also add that Beane and McDermott are here long term.

The revolving door of management change has come to a halt. Get used it, folks. This is a good thing.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The Pegula’s hired these guys to carry out their plan.  They have a plan, and it should be readily apparent by now to all but the willfully blind what that is.  They want talented guys that love to play football, who prioritize football, who constantly look to improve.

When they got here, they figured out who they saw as fitting their plan and those who didn’t.  They cleared out guys who didn’t fit like Dareus and Sammy, cleared out guys they didn’t think could get them where they wanted like TT, some guys left as FAs like Gilmore and Woods.   They knew they had some bloated contracts and ripped the bandaid off quickly vs. slowly as far as the cap.   Now they have an admirable cap situation.

They want to focus on the draft to build their team.  They have two young guys they think are their long term leaders on both sides of the ball in Allen and Edmunds.  Yes, they could have taken Watson (the guy I wanted) or Mahomes (whom no one saw having the kind of year he had last year).  But they now have their guy, and an AllPro CB (what ever happened to all the clamor about having to have a shut down CB?).  They continue to add talent.  

Obviously their future is locked into their personnel decisions.  But the constant whining about it, and how they should be gone so soon if they don’t have a winner right now is just so damn tiresome.  First of all, they made the playoffs year one, and spare me the crap about how that was lucky.  Second, they knew they were taking a big cap hit year 2.  Third, look at the most continually successful NFL organizations.  They have agreement between HC and GM on philosophy (unless it’s Belichick who has total control).  They have sustained growth.  They can focus on drafting the guys that fit what they want, same with FAs.  The Pats, Steelers, Seahawks, all have those kinds of models and they work.

Do you have to make changes sometimes?  Sure.  I live outside Indy and the Colts knew they had to, but in Frank and Ballard they have the same type guys as McD and Beane. The Rams?  They look good right now, but they have given up a lot of draft picks, and will have to make difficult contract decisions. They have a shot right now, but is that model sustainable?  Doubtful; the Bills have a more long term sustained strategy.  

i get some don’t like their strategy.  But let’s just see how it plays out instead of assuming it won’t.  Why some assume it won’t is  mystifying.

Terrific post ?

On 7/29/2019 at 12:24 PM, Buffalo Boy said:

Funny how the McBean haters have disappeared from this board?

Two years ago people where apoplectic on here regarding “ The process”, looks like they might be onto something both business- wise and talent evaluation- wise.

I like what McBeane have done but they have a lot to prove this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I think you can make that statement about every team.

Most teams yes but McBeane is coming off of a 6-10 season and only has one other season under their belt. With the free agency plan executed the pressure is on them to do more than just build a c culture. I like what they have done but it needs to play out on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The Pegula’s hired these guys to carry out their plan.  They have a plan, and it should be readily apparent by now to all but the willfully blind what that is.  They want talented guys that love to play football, who prioritize football, who constantly look to improve.

When they got here, they figured out who they saw as fitting their plan and those who didn’t.  They cleared out guys who didn’t fit like Dareus and Sammy, cleared out guys they didn’t think could get them where they wanted like TT, some guys left as FAs like Gilmore and Woods.   They knew they had some bloated contracts and ripped the bandaid off quickly vs. slowly as far as the cap.   Now they have an admirable cap situation.

They want to focus on the draft to build their team.  They have two young guys they think are their long term leaders on both sides of the ball in Allen and Edmunds.  Yes, they could have taken Watson (the guy I wanted) or Mahomes (whom no one saw having the kind of year he had last year).  But they now have their guy, and an AllPro CB (what ever happened to all the clamor about having to have a shut down CB?).  They continue to add talent.  

Obviously their future is locked into their personnel decisions.  But the constant whining about it, and how they should be gone so soon if they don’t have a winner right now is just so damn tiresome.  First of all, they made the playoffs year one, and spare me the crap about how that was lucky.  Second, they knew they were taking a big cap hit year 2.  Third, look at the most continually successful NFL organizations.  They have agreement between HC and GM on philosophy (unless it’s Belichick who has total control).  They have sustained growth.  They can focus on drafting the guys that fit what they want, same with FAs.  The Pats, Steelers, Seahawks, all have those kinds of models and they work.

Do you have to make changes sometimes?  Sure.  I live outside Indy and the Colts knew they had to, but in Frank and Ballard they have the same type guys as McD and Beane. The Rams?  They look good right now, but they have given up a lot of draft picks, and will have to make difficult contract decisions. They have a shot right now, but is that model sustainable?  Doubtful; the Bills have a more long term sustained strategy.  

i get some don’t like their strategy.  But let’s just see how it plays out instead of assuming it won’t.  Why some assume it won’t is  mystifying.

Face it. Some people want drama.

• Like (+1) 2

Hilarious thread.

Beane created the most dead cap money in one season in the history of the NFL salary cap last year........he even freshly murdered a bunch of it dispatching his own bad moves like extending Eric Wood, trading for Corey Coleman and trading away AJ McCarron.   

OF COURSE he has gotten that down to below average this year.............I mean goddamn that's an absurd thing to try to give credit for.       That's like "well the neighborhood burned to the ground but on the plus side the Fire Department hasn't had a single call there since!".:doh: 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hilarious thread.

Beane created the most dead cap money in one season in the history of the NFL salary cap last year........he even freshly murdered a bunch of it dispatching his own bad moves like extending Eric Wood, trading for Corey Coleman and trading away AJ McCarron.   

OF COURSE he has gotten that down to below average this year.............I mean goddamn that's an absurd thing to try to give credit for.       That's like "well the neighborhood burned to the ground but on the plus side the Fire Department hasn't had a single call there since!".:doh: 

Extended Wood who got a career ending injury.  Yep, he wasn’t Nostradamus.  And you also would have continued to pay the big fat tub of goo named Dareus his 100 million dollars.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Those players were either players who didn't fit the profile of what they wanted, didn't fit the system or both. They decided to actively fix these issues instead of waiting til conracts expired etc, and created loads of dead cap space in the process.

The defense was #2 in the league last year and in the top 5-10 in most metrics...thats more than just solid. And they improved it across the board from a talent and depth perspective...we have the deepest secondary in the NFL by a country mile.

Kelvin was such a better fit than Sammy.

They also blamed the dead cap stuff on Whaley. Which I kind of find annoying. They have this year and next year and if they don't win they should be out of here. The both of them

That said I disagreed with some of the departures i think they have done good in some regards. However, depleting your WR and Oline should not be forgotten. And the Peterman crap is another level of stuff that they somehow get a pass on.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hilarious thread.

Let’s bring back Whaley, or Nix ........ Tom Donohoe anyone? 

This is what new regimes do. Unless 8-8 ad infinitum is your bag?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Let’s bring back Whaley, or Nix ........ Tom Donohoe anyone? 

This is what new regimes do. Unless 8-8 ad infinitum is your bag?

Except every coach we've had in the last 30 years has averaged 8-8 or worse. There's little reason to believe these guys are any different, especially considering their 15-18 record through two years.

Edited by BullBuchanan

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Except every coach we've had in the last 30 years has averaged 8-8 or worse. There's little reason to believe these guys are any different, especially considering their 15-18 record through two years.

For God sakes.  First season = playoffs.  Second season breaking in a rookie QB among other things.  You’re being absolutely ridiculous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

For God sakes.  First season = playoffs.  Second season breaking in a rookie QB among other things.  You’re being absolutely ridiculous.

Really? How much better was their 9-7 season vs Doug Marrone's 9-7 season. They played a super soft schedule and failed to put up 7 points against the Jags. I'm as happy as anyone they broke the curse, but let's not kid ourselves that it was some brilliant coaching and GM work that got us there. We don't have a brutal schedule this year, but it's not easy either. if they go 8-8 or worse are you still on the train?

43 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Except they were good enough to sneak in the playoffs.  What they did is called a Rebuild.  It was necessary and way overdue.

Although Whaley was an excellent talent evaluator it seems he wasnt able to get pieces that fit together.

52 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

STATS!

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No they didnt.  They didnt sign Dareus to that contract. They did what was necessary to get our team where it is currently.

Except they paid a negligible amount less to keep him than to dump him. The fact that they couldn't deal with whatever flaws they perceived he Watkins and Darby had is more of an indictment of the staff than the players in my book. A lot of jokers cheered the Ryan O'Reilly trade from Buffalo too, and that didn't work out so well.

Maybe they get lucky and the big money deals they paid out to underachievers like Star and Murphy pan out and one or both of Allen/Edmunds starts to flourish, and then all is forgotten and forgiven. Still, it was unprecedentedly reckless and an unnecessary waste of assets.

And what did all those cap savings buy them? Mitch Morse, John Brown, and Cole Beasley? I hardly see that as worth it. As it is they're going into the season with $22M of unused (wasted) cap, because they didn't make any moves to sign marquee players and they're at a point where there's nobody on the team worth using to money on to lock up in an extension.

It's just not smart business. I don't like being down on the team, but the amount of backslapping over these guys is just ridiculous. They were hailed as geniuses before they even set foot in the door, and I just don't think they've done anything to deserve that yet.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Except they paid a negligible amount less to keep him than to dump him. The fact that they couldn't deal with whatever flaws they perceived he Watkins and Darby had is more of an indictment of the staff than the players in my book. A lot of jokers cheered the Ryan O'Reilly trade from Buffalo too, and that didn't work out so well.

Maybe they get lucky and the big money deals they paid out to underachievers like Star and Murphy pan out and one or both of Allen/Edmunds starts to flourish, and then all is forgotten and forgiven. Still, it was unprecedentedly reckless and an unnecessary waste of assets.

And what did all those cap savings buy them? Mitch Morse, John Brown, and Cole Beasley? I hardly see that as worth it. As it is they're going into the season with $22M of unused (wasted) cap, because they didn't make any moves to sign marquee players and they're at a point where there's nobody on the team worth using to money on to lock up in an extension.

It's just not smart business. I don't like being down on the team, but the amount of backslapping over these guys is just ridiculous. They were hailed as geniuses before they even set foot in the door, and I just don't think they've done anything to deserve that yet.

Big money to  Star and Murphy?  Their contracts together dont equal one Dareus Contract.  John Brown and Beasley seem to be could signings so far and Morse is one of the best Centers in the league.  He is the highest paid until the next man comes up.  Your big contracts comment tells me your clueless of what the overall salary cap is.  

Im also glad they didnt throw big contracts at big names.  You save a portion of your money to pay your own guys when they come due.  They are also not geniuses for doing thing similarly to the way NE does them just smart.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Really? How much better was their 9-7 season vs Doug Marrone's 9-7 season. They played a super soft schedule and failed to put up 7 points against the Jags. I'm as happy as anyone they broke the curse, but let's not kid ourselves that it was some brilliant coaching and GM work that got us there. We don't have a brutal schedule this year, but it's not easy either. if they go 8-8 or worse are you still on the train?

1-15 I’d be worried. 8-8of course not.