Bills dead cap number '18 to '19

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Funny how the McBean haters have disappeared from this board?

Two years ago people where apoplectic on here regarding “ The process”, looks like they might be onto something both business- wise and talent evaluation- wise.

Apoplectic is a great word.  Belongs in a word of the day calendar. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not really complicated.

They got rid of guys they had no attachment to creating a ***** ton of dead cap space.

They now have a roster of guys they want and aren't cutting players who were paid from the previous regime, hence not a lot of dead cap space.... whether that roster is actually good or not is yet to be determined.

They have actually done more than that....they have signed multiple players on team friendly deals that IF they wish to get out of then the team wont be hamstrung going forward. It is smart management.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly.

This thread is basically patting Beane on the back for cutting a bunch of players who made a lot of money.

Lots of skill required for that. ?

Making the decision to cut the players who should be cut and make a lot of money, does take a fair amount of skill. I haven't seen many go on to be stars elsewhere. 

40 minutes ago, Saratoga Leo said:

Making the decision to cut the players who should be cut and make a lot of money, does take a fair amount of skill. I haven't seen many go on to be stars elsewhere. 

While it is “ apples and oranges” comparison, isn’t cutting good players ruthlessly something that has garnered Billy B Genius accolades.

Coming in, on your first GM gig and doing what Beane did was brave, decisive and the correct thing to do. People were losing there minds on the Trades and cuts.

Sammy going, alone, created a level of butt- hurtness on this board that was amazing to see. 

So, yeah, the skill of realizing who wasn’t a fit for their vision was clearly on display.

Plenty of piss poor GM-ing going on in this league and Mr. Beane isn’t part of it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly.

This thread is basically patting Beane on the back for cutting a bunch of players who made a lot of money.

Lots of skill required for that. ?

Would Whaley?

Brandon?

Levy?

The team has been rebuilt in a short timeframe. I’m thankful for that and I see promise. You miserable sots prefer to wallow in misery. We got a nice thing working here. Enjoy the ride.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They got rid of guys they had no attachment to creating a ***** ton of dead cap space.

They now have a roster of guys they want and aren't cutting players who were paid from the previous regime, hence not a lot of dead cap space.... whether that roster is actually good or not is yet to be determined.

I think it goes deeper than getting rid of guys they had no attachment too. They got rid of guys that were me first and not team first. Looks like someone finally looked at what’s been going on in NE for about 20 years. 

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe Dareus, but they were 5-2 with him before being traded midseason of 2017.

• Has done nothing in Jacksonville.  All the talent in the world and he will not apply himself to be the player he can be.  Dareus will be a disappointing story of what could have been when he fades out of the NFL.  McD had to let him go, an attempt was made to work with him but Dareus didn't want it.  Unfortunately, McD didn't have anyone to adequately fill the void Dareus left.

Watkins? Dudes been on two playoff teams since being traded.

• Watkins had nothing to do with either.  Over drafted an overrated, good riddance.  I don't see why some are still crying over him.

Gilmore? Guy just won a Super Bowl and had an excellent year.

• Unfortunately he has found a home in NE where he is thriving.  I'm surprised by his success there, but Gilmore is doing well, as much as I don't want to see it.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not a McBeane "hater," but the notion that creating cap space is some kind of accomplishment is silly.

This is a pivotal season for both. They've surrounded Allen with "enough" talent. The defense is solid if not spectacular. Allen and Daboll are heading into year two together. Results are the only thing that matters and I think we need to retire the cap excuse. This is now THEIR team.

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t recall people saying it was unnecessary, but it is true that their moves are what contributed to the dead cap problem.

Regardless, creating cap space isn’t an accomplishment. Any idiot GM can cut players and make cap room. Where this staff is going to get judged the most is in Allen’s development and the number of games we win. 

Ugh many of us said it was completely unnecessary and made the team objectively worse during a playoff run.  Trading Dareus made the run defense worse and the cost was not much different after adding Star.  

Agree with the rest of your post.  It's all water under the bridge at this point and Beane's future will be entirely judged on Allen;s performance.  

10 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Two years ago people where apoplectic on here regarding “ The process”, looks like they might be onto something both business- wise and talent evaluation- wise.

Once the win's start piling up that will shut everyone down.  This city and the team is thirsty..now everything lies in McDermott's ability to lead this team to the promised land. 

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You're going way over people's heads with this post.

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Those players were either players who didn't fit the profile of what they wanted, didn't fit the system or both. They decided to actively fix these issues instead of waiting til conracts expired etc, and created loads of dead cap space in the process.

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not a McBeane "hater," but the notion that creating cap space is some kind of accomplishment is silly.

This is a pivotal season for both. They've surrounded Allen with "enough" talent. The defense is solid if not spectacular. Allen and Daboll are heading into year two together. Results are the only thing that matters and I think we need to retire the cap excuse. This is now THEIR team.

The defense was #2 in the league last year and in the top 5-10 in most metrics...thats more than just solid. And they improved it across the board from a talent and depth perspective...we have the deepest secondary in the NFL by a country mile.

Edited by matter2003

16 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The haters are still out there ...  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

This sounds like the way it’s supposed to  work but remember the movie isn’t over yet. The new regime cleaned house and in the process had to swallow a bunch of pre existing player contracts. Now they’re rebuilding the roster they want...but they’ve yet to win much of ANYTHING. Meet back here in two years and we’ll see where they stand. 

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm aware of what they did. 

Still not sure why we are treating this as some sort of an accomplishment. 

I think this year will say a lot about whether it’s an “accomplishment” or not. I think most of the praise is for them having the stones to actually come in and do that instead of just making little moves here and there. I’m encouraged that it seems like we finally have a competent organization at many levels.

I legit thought Sal was wrong with the $70M figure.  He was not (obviously).  Here’s a link to Spotrac for those of us who are having formatting problems with the list posted:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

It is not unusual to have a lot of dead cap when there’s a purge of players. Add in a few recent mistakes and some bad luck and that’s what you get.  However it should be noted that the current dead cap number for 2019 will rise as players get cut, traded, etc this season. 

Edited by BarleyNY

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm aware of what they did. 

Still not sure why we are treating this as some sort of an accomplishment. 

Its an accomplishment that they did it so quickly, were so thorough and stuck to the plan...most teams can't claim those 3 things.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Did we? The dead cap ridiculousness was a manufactured crisis created by McBeane just so they could wipe every shred of existence of the previous regime while putting in their own initiatives that they claim are vastly superior, but have yet to show any results. Seems strikingly familiar...

I think we have to go a long way to go before anyone can start claiming this squad is objectively more talented than the 2016 squad they replaced.