Tremaine Edmunds - Baldy's Breakdowns

I didn't see this talked about anywhere else so I figured I'd start a thread because why not?

Not sure how many people caught Brian Baldinger's breakdown on Edmunds last week, but he highlighted the fact that Edmunds led the team not only in tackles, but passes defensed as well. Three of those pass defenses ended up as interceptions as two were deflected to Poyer and one to Milano. So, to me, that kinda adjusts his stat-line a little bit. He had 121 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions, and two forced fumbles. Add in the three deflections and he caused seven turnovers last season. Just thought that kinda stood out. We know it took him some time to settle into his new position but as the season went on you could definitely see improvement. And that's one of the things I'm most excited for this year, is seeing their top two picks from 2018 taking the next step. Towards the end of the season, they occasionally let Edmunds rush the passer from the edge. I hope they continue to do that just to throw some different things at opponents. 

What does everyone think Edmunds is capable of in year two?

Edited by blacklabel

The kid is quick and rangy - I think we knew that about him coming in last year and he is definitely an asset covering a lot of passing area in the shallow zones.

There was a write-up on him that he was working on his speed and such in the offseason, but I don't think too many folks thought that speed was his issue last year, it was his read and react time vs the run.

Against the run, he was caught too many times guessing the wrong gap, or simply caught on his heels and having to tackle a runner with a full head of steam from a stand still usually ends up as a bad-angle missed arm tackle or being dragged for 4 yards on top of the 5 he already gained. He seemed to be getting better at his gap "fits" towards the end of last year and that is where I will be looking to see improvement from him filling the Mike role.

• Like (+1) 2