Garage: what’s it to ya?

Workshop? 

Just a car port? 

Storage?

Gym?

Italian living room? 

My wife and I got to talking about garages and how it’s very interesting that people in the same culture use them so vastly different. For us, we use ours for everything. It’s our main entrance, packed with tools and miscellaneous items for storage. It's shelter for her car. We leave the door open 80% of the day.

This is in total contrast to our neighbor who is likely a serial killer. Garage door is always closed unless pulling in his car and he immediately closes it after he is inside before evening getting out or shutting off the car. On the few rare occasions I’ve seen in, it is completely bare. Just a large room with nothing hanging, no storage, no beer fridge, nothing. 

So...garage. Whats it to ya?

It’s where our cars sleep. It’s where the bikes we don’t use hang from the ceiling. It’s where we store stuff in the closet, yard tools, etc. Most importantly.....it’s where the extra fridge is that stores beverages. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Does Buffalo still have "Polish living rooms?"

I’m willing to wager that in many cases, in these houses you would also find the previous kitchen stove moved to the basement when ElectraGas delivered the new one.  Polish, German, Dutch...the ethnicity didn’t matter.  ?

My dad was a truck driver for a living, but enjoyed basic carpentry projects as a hobby.  I remember him making the screen doors for the attached garage at his Buffalo home.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Storage.  Cars, yard / garden tools, beer fridge

exact for us..only cars on and off. Driveway configuration makes it somewhat of a pain to get cars in and out, but..as you know nature abhors a vacuum and if no car in there for a week or so, some junk always seem to fill its place!

• Like (+1) 1

Worst thing is to put a modern era refrigerator in a garage.  Sure way to possibly kill it, get the freezer to not play nice:

"Most refrigerators will have seasonal problems if used in an unheated garage. ... If the temperature outside is cooler than therefrigerator needs to be (generally under 35 F degrees), the freezer will no longer turn on to cool the system, so anything in the freezer may thaw."

33 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Two floor garage.  Vehicles and some storage downstairs, and more storage (kayaks, porch furniture, sports gear) on the 2nd floor.  Have thought about doing something else with the 2nd floor.  Pool table?

Opium den?  Go with the:

beach-pool-shower-wmpc-150-12.jpg

Kill two birds with one stone!

??

In North Port, FL somebody has done a great job of selling retractable screens to make a 400 +/- square foot screened porch out of people’s garages. Drive a few miles away and that trend goes away, but there is that strange little pocket of screened garages. 

a garage is a thing for me.  my first house had the smallest one car garage that could couldn't even fit my jeep.  when looking for our house now, i was hell bent on getting some size.  now we have a 4 car garage, but it's a bit awkward because it's 2 large doors with a space in the middle.  we keep 3 cars and tons of out door furniture.  when we get through other parts of the house, my plan is to finish all of the dry wall, get the bad ass sealer on the floor, and turn that sucker into the garage mahal.  i love my garage.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I’m willing to wager that in many cases, in these houses you would also find the previous kitchen stove moved to the basement when ElectraGas delivered the new one.  Polish, German, Dutch...the ethnicity didn’t matter.  ?

My dad was a truck driver for a living, but enjoyed basic carpentry projects as a hobby.  I remember him making the screen doors for the attached garage at his Buffalo home.

Electragas is a real blast from the past.

The garage living used to be popular.  Not so sure since central A/C is being used more.  There used to be a lot of screened garage doors on the summer homes in Canada..

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Smoking Lounge!!  basically a Low rent Italian Living room

At the risk of generalizing, I was witness to any number of living rooms in homes in Amherst that were entirely off limits to residents of the homes.  Any actual ‘family time’ and living activities were conducted strictly in the family room.

I noticed today, fewer and fewer people use their garage for parking vehicles. It's typically for storage of junk and outdoor stuff. In my current house I finally have a garage but I have spent years trying to organize and clean it to set up all my tools that it's still just a storage building for my stuff and the kids outdoor Toys. I would love to have a shop where I can do woodworking and have a vehicle to rebuild in it. I have the tools, just not the room, lol

My vehicle, summer furniture storage, outdoor fridge, freezer chest, and a place where Hubby dumps his stuff until I pitch a fit. 

After the fit-pitching (usually when my vehicle starts driving into what resembles a cavern... that man can pack-rat like no one's business), the garage is cleaned out, and then we can fit TWO vehicles in it.  Hubby would rather park his vehicles outside than put his crap away properly. <_<

If we ever move I want enough land for a 3 car attached garage and a 2 car unattached garage (or vice versa).  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, dhg said:

Someone should make a coffee table book about these

Are they anything like the Italian American living rooms, where no one dared enter (under penalty of death) and all upholstered furniture was under Fingerhut clear plastic slipcovers?