Lorax: Healthy Trent Murphy is a game-changer

On 7/29/2019 at 4:29 AM, MJS said:

They have a rotation on the defensive line and if Murphy gets injured or doesn't perform he'll get less snaps and other guys will get more opportunities, like Shaq Lawson. We also know that Lorenzo Alexander rushes the passer in certain situations. They also drafted Oliver high to provide pass rush on the interior. And of course, our top pass rusher is Jerry Hughes.

Ultimately they will be fine regardless. It would definitely be great if Murphy is good and healthy, but the success of the defense (and even the pass rush) does not hinge only on that.

If  Murphy can rush the passer like he did in Washington, the Bills traditional 4-man rush on the passer will work keeping the DBs engaged with the WRs  in the secondary.   This could result in more turnovers.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:32 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Healthy is the operative word.  McDermott and Beane are hanging a lot on Murphy being the player they hoped they found last year.  If he's not healthy, the pass rush will suffer this year, again.

Blitz

On 7/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, MJS said:

They have a rotation on the defensive line and if Murphy gets injured or doesn't perform he'll get less snaps and other guys will get more opportunities, like Shaq Lawson. We also know that Lorenzo Alexander rushes the passer in certain situations. They also drafted Oliver high to provide pass rush on the interior. And of course, our top pass rusher is Jerry Hughes.

Ultimately they will be fine regardless. It would definitely be great if Murphy is good and healthy, but the success of the defense (and even the pass rush) does not hinge only on that.

If this was one of those survey questions. I’d check the strongly agree box

:D

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Alexander is currently listed at 245 pounds and you want him lined up at DT? I think he is fine as a spot pass rusher in the DE spot. And Im ok with moving Lawson to DT for a few reps a game.  B

Alexander did some rushing from DT in sub packages last year and was pretty effective doing so. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Alexander did some rushing from DT in sub packages last year and was pretty effective doing so. 

Alexander did it more than "some" I believe...I saw him there a good amount on the obvious passing situations. 

Do you think this front 4 is too light?  Murphy - Lorax - Oliver - Hughes 

3rd and 7+ situations?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Alexander did it more than "some" I believe...I saw him there a good amount on the obvious passing situations. 

Do you think this front 4 is too light?  Murphy - Lorax - Oliver - Hughes 

3rd and 7+ situations?

I haven't got the snap %s in front of me but he definitely did it some - whether that some is a lot or a little. I think you can use that front 4 in some 3rd and longs. But I don't think you want it to be your main 3rd and long D I think you need to mix it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Our pass rush was weak last year. The fact that we lost 10 games was the #1 reason why we gave up so few yards through the air. We need more than 1 fix to maintain that level of play and boost the picks and throw-away incompletions. We do tackle well in the secondary, so that piece is still in place. Our LB's cover pretty well too. If we get close to 50 sacks and play well vs the run, the D could win us a few more games. I'd like to see us lead the NFL in takeaways again.

We need Murphy to be 100% and for Oliver to be as good as advertised to get 40+ sacks.

Edited by GreggTX

I think Murphy is a nice player, but I have a hard time fully trusting Lorax in terms of his evaluation of other players. He seems like such a nice guy that he may be inclined to praise a teammate under fire from the media. Pure speculation and I could be WAY off, but I take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, I think we'd all like to see what a HEALTHY Murphy can do.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

time for a new DC 

Is that a joke? Frazier is one of the top DC's in the NFL and a former HC. I seriously doubt you'd find someone better and that move would really make our staff look incompetent. Hoprfully Frazier will be here a long time.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:21 AM, NewEra said:

Sometimes I wonder. 

RDE- Hughes

DT- Oliver

DT- Lorax

LDE- Murphy

That tandem (absent Oliver plus Kyle) compiled a sack total near the bottom of the league. Alot of that can be contributed to the fact that we were getting blown out so often. Your obviously gonna have less chances when the opponent is playing keep away. Nevertheless, I believe DE is a huge need going forward. 1A/1B with WR. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

time for a new DC 

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Is that a joke? Frazier is one of the top DC's in the NFL and a former HC. I seriously doubt you'd find someone better and that move would really make our staff look incompetent. Hoprfully Frazier will be here a long time.

Barbarian is a joker sometimes.  He played a joke advocating replacing QB with Arizona's John Skelton trading our stating DE for him. 

Fact is we know Murphy was hurt and seems reasonable he is healthy now.  Last year in 10 starts he had 4 sacks so I think there is a chance he could have a good year.  And lets hope so!!!!  

In about 8 days we will have a little clearer picture when he lines up against the Colts.