Lorax: Healthy Trent Murphy is a game-changer

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

DE and WR will be our clear targets in FA and the draft next year. 

You forgot to add OL and CB 

Edited by Putin

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

DE and WR will be our clear targets in FA and the draft next year. 

DE for sure. If we land one via FA, then I can see us going WR pretty early in the Draft. Even with only 7 picks, trading one for an established pass rusher should be considered as well. It would be fantastic if the Murphy experiment explodes for the good! He reached a point late last year where he was beginning to make his presence felt. We’ve read some encouraging news from camp about him before the LoAl article. A MadSkills DE will complete this Defense. Right now, we have ~$30M+ with no major players coming up in FA. With Shady off the books -or re-signed at favorable cost, we can afford the youngest, best DE in FA. 

In the meantime, Best Wishes, Murph!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Healthy is the operative word.  McDermott and Beane are hanging a lot on Murphy being the player they hoped they found last year.  If he's not healthy, the pass rush will suffer this year, again.

Agreed.  Charles Clay was a game changer when healthy as well.   He was never healthy.   Result :  his NFL career worked out exceedingly well... for him. 

13 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Serious question here, how good did Aaron Donald look in his rookie season?  How big of an impact did he have?  I honestly don't remember at this point how good he looked coming right out the gate.  In my mind I keep pondering how much of an impact we can realistically expect from Oliver?(I'm also not implying I think he will match Aaron Donald's production in his rookie year although he could be close)

He looked incredible, 9 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 37 solo tackles and he only startd 12 games

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree, but the same could be said about a lot of players the Bills have picked up and hung their hat on.  Shawne Merriman would be an example.  Remember that one training camp where he was healthy at first and we were all "wow.....LightsOut can flat-out Ball!".  But it didn't last because he couldn't stay healthy.

I hope Trent Murphy is healthy and can stay healthy through the season, and be a difference maker.  That would be ultra-cool.  But "healthy" is the key.

Where is that guy who talked about the gym where Murphy trains and how it's a known PED pit?

I hope McBeane have a Plan B that doesn't rely on a healthy Murphy.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Alexander is currently listed at 245 pounds and you want him lined up at DT? I think he is fine as a spot pass rusher in the DE spot. And Im ok with moving Lawson to DT for a few reps a game.  B

“3rd and long” are you really worried about the undersized DT being run over?  It’s a passing down with the DL pinning back their ears and getting after the qB. He’s 100% one of our top 4 pass rushers and extremely effective rushing the passer from the outside and the interior.  

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

A game changer? We shall see.

It's great that he's healthy and he can be of great help to the defense.

If he can stay healthy for most if not the entire season, the better. Depth at DE is a concern.

The last time we saw a fully healthy Murphy (2016 I believe) he was definitely a game changer.  We shall see though.  The talent is definitely there and with a pretty deep and talented line , should see plenty of 1 on 1 situations

• Like (+1) 1

If anything, he and Hughes should create plenty of pressure. Hughes is usually near the top in QB pressures and Murphy was as well before the injuries. Sometimes pressure can be just as good as a sack as it causes QBs to hurry and make poor decisions. 

And, fun fact, Washington traded the 34th overall pick in 2014 to the Cowboys for picks 47 (Murphy) and 78 (Spencer Long), both ended up on the Bills. The Cowboys took Demarcus Lawrence with that #34 pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

If anything, he and Hughes should create plenty of pressure. Hughes is usually near the top in QB pressures and Murphy was as well before the injuries. Sometimes pressure can be just as good as a sack as it causes QBs to hurry and make poor decisions. 

And, fun fact, Washington traded the 34th overall pick in 2014 to the Cowboys for picks 47 (Murphy) and 78 (Spencer Long), both ended up on the Bills. The Cowboys took Demarcus Lawrence with that #34 pick. 

Great trade for the stupid Cowboys. 

15 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

He won DROY and went to the pro-bowl in his rookie season. He had 9 sacks, 48 tackles, and 16 TFL in 2014. 

So the dude was a beast as a rookie, and seriously dominant after. I mean, who thought anyone could legitimately make it so obvious to be Defensive Player of the Year over JJ Watt? He really looks like a man playing against boys at times. Yet... he was a complete no show in the Superbowl. Was he injured or Bellichick is really that much of a genius?

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

So the dude was a beast as a rookie, and seriously dominant after. I mean, who thought anyone could legitimately make it so obvious to be Defensive Player of the Year over JJ Watt? He really looks like a man playing against boys at times. Yet... he was a complete no show in the Superbowl. Was he injured or Bellichick is really that much of a genius?

He’s been a monster since the day his name was called by Goodell. It’s funny how Rex stated he couldn’t hold Sheldon Richardson’s jock strap.

I hate that hire more ever day. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They largely have the same defensive line as last year, just swap out an aging Kyle for the rookie Ed Oliver.  I'm not holding my breath that Oliver will make that big of an impact out of the gate.  I suspect he will see that he NFL guards and centers are a lot better than what he saw while playing for U of H.  If Murphy is injured, I don't think the pass rush will be formidable at all, coupled with the fact that Frazier tends not to blitz or stunt to overload the opponents weakest link on the OLine.

...and that is why these old school coaches fail. look at what the pats did to rivers in the playoffs. they made him look like peterman. they brought it on every single snap.

i hope mcd will step in if the old wannstandt style of defense rears it's head again like early last season. we have the backend to blitz like crazy and the few times we did last year, i believe all ended up with sacks. i'm holding hope on murphy being a monster. we need him game 1 for sure.

17 hours ago, WideNine said:

I wonder how that kid out of North Carolina A&T is coming along... Daryl Johnson Jr.

The Bills scouts tend to hit gold in their later round signings - the kid is raw, but has the height 6' 6" and the build that is in the mold of some of the more successful DE's, maybe not as tall as Jacksonville's Campbell (that kid is a sky scraper), but in the neighborhood.

He has some solid guys to learn from, will be interesting to see if he sticks.

i sure hope he does. i think he'll be another dwight freeney.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Alexander is currently listed at 245 pounds and you want him lined up at DT? I think he is fine as a spot pass rusher in the DE spot. And Im ok with moving Lawson to DT for a few reps a game.  B

they played that lineup last year with great success. i also think they should kick shaq inside at times.

7 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

???? I thought he had a big impact on that game. Pats may have tried to avoid him but it’s not like they had a lot of success doing it. Bellichek showed the genius by shutting Goff down. 

I think there’s enough depth to get a consistent rush this year. Between the Phillips boys, now Oliver, Hughes and Murphy.. and I know Shaq Lawson “can’t get sacks” but he’s actually my pick to have the best season since he’s playing for a huge payday. We can always throw Lorax in to help, Milano can get pressure when asked and edmunds absolutely has some pass rush chops. With a strong secondary there’s zero reason these guys should not get plenty of pressure