Sign in to follow this  
ukbuffalo

Visiting buffalo

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

In regards to getting to the falls from Buffalo, we intend on getting the number 40 NFTA from downtown.

Is the the best/easiest/cheapest was of doing it?

Thanks.

It's 20 miles.  What would Uber cost?

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't know, never used one.

Just now, BritBill said:

Don't know, never used one.

Same here.  Wonder what a trip like that costs? 

Go to the top of Buffalo City Hall.  If you hit the weather right, you'll have an awesome view of the city, waterfront, WNY!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Lots of factors in that.

Non uberxl, not during peak hours on Sat, you are probably looking around 40 dollars.  From the train station in depew to niagara falls, it cost a little over 50, but that was uberxl.

13 hours ago, bbb said:

If you're only going to do one thing, it's GOT to be the Maid of the Mist.  You can't do that anywhere else

Maid_photo_1.jpg

Just took my 10 year old daughter & her friend to the maid of the mist last week.  It is simply breathtaking the views.  I haven't done that since I was a kid.  Funny but the falls is almost an after thought to people that live around here but it is truly one of the wonders of this country.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

Lots of factors in that.

Non uberxl, not during peak hours on Sat, you are probably looking around 40 dollars.  From the train station in depew to niagara falls, it cost a little over 50, but that was uberxl.

Cheers.

A couple of dollars on the 40 remains the choice at this time.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BritBill said:

Cheers.

I'd rent a car.  One of Winston Churchill's favorite drives was on the Canadian side from Fort Erie (opposite BFLo) to Niagara Falls via the Niagara Parkway.  You'll have your passports, so do the loop around.  Go American Side, take in American Falls.  Cross @ Rainbow Bridge in Falls and take in Horseshoe Falls on Canadian Side.  Drive the Niagara Parkway back south to Fort Erie, cross the Peace Bridge @ BFLo... One of my favorite drives.

Good luck... So many choices!!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanks for the shout out!

Not sure if they are still there... Especially in the age of GPS sounding... But if you ever see a survey station mark painted on the Black Rock Channel (where they crew/row on the Niagara Section Wall), the outter & inner breakwaters or the Ship Canal (where you were)... I painted those station marks and built that baseline to sound (take depth readings) the Buffalo Harbor area!

The stations are usually marked something like: 1+00, 2+00, etc.. etc... That's how we would sound in the pre-GPS days.  Build baseline, then go off each station w/boat to take sounding.  That data would determine how much the area needed to be dredged and to figure out how much it would cost to remove said spoil (the material removed from bottom).

Sadly, my artwork is slowly being erased by time & technology,  nobody is updating those station marks anymore because everything is controlled view the heavens/sky!

LoL... You knew I wouldn't disappoint!  😉

I did see some marks like those........

And a very large ocean freighter was being filled with grain, and it had your avatar on the side of it........or something like it, perhaps altered. Always wondered what that was.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Last year we wanted to see the Falls with the new LED lights.  We got there, and the parking was $9. just to park on the Canada side/.  We did a respectful, slow, drive by and left. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'd rent a car.  One of Winston Churchill's favorite drives was on the Canadian side from Fort Erie (opposite BFLo) to Niagara Falls via the Niagara Parkway.  You'll have your passports, so do the loop around.  Go American Side, take in American Falls.  Cross @ Rainbow Bridge in Falls and take in Horseshoe Falls on Canadian Side.  Drive the Niagara Parkway back south to Fort Erie, cross the Peace Bridge @ BFLo... One of my favorite drives.

When did Winston Churchill do this drive?  

18 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I did see some marks like those........

And a very large ocean freighter was being filled with grain, and it had your avatar on the side of it........or something like it, perhaps altered. Always wondered what that was.

That's a Plimsoll Line.  They are different load marks for various water temps, conditions, etc... It's so they don't overload and the insurance companies lose their shirts.  The AB Mark is so it can be loaded evenly bow to stern.  They keep that parallel/level to the waterline.

...It keeps my load even when I am navigating treacherous waters like the North Atlantic ie: @BringBackFergy ,Tropical Freshwater ie: @Gugny or Winter North Atantic ie: @Cripple Creek...YOU DOOO NOT want to deal with Winter North Atlantic and have a full load. CC is brutal.

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

When did Winston Churchill do this drive?  

I am not sure.  Will look it up.  Remember reading it.  I am thinking after war?

This was before Automobiles:

"International Churchill Society Canada. Winston Churchill had a deep affection for Canada, which he referred to as "the linchpin of the English-speaking peoples." The City of Toronto played a special role in this Canadian connection. Churchill first visited Canada in the winter of 1900/1901."

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

As a resident all my life I have some ideas.

Buffalo zoo is the 3rd oldest zoo in the country and fantastic

Niagara falls is always a must for tourist's

Maybe go downtown to Shea's district and catch a play or concert

Bisons baseball game downtown

Try pizza and wings from a local mom and pop joint

We have more museum's per person than most cities. Albright Knox is probably most well known and world famous

If you are open to driving around a bit go to Knox Farms. It's a beautiful estate with hundreds of acres of beautiful scenery.. habitats, wildlife , hiking trails 

I think the Bisons season is over by the time the home opener would be

My parents used to take us to the Buffalo zoo every year as kids.

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

Cheers.

Do you really want to spend over an hour on the bus?

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And if you do drive to the Canadian side of the falls, go another couple miles north to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a lovely (and very British) village where the Niagara River and Lake Ontario meet. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

My parents used to take us to the Buffalo zoo every year as kids.

Ahhhh yea I didn't even think of that

Bisons are probably done 

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

We would have to win the first round..5 games out right now (division)...very much alive for the 4th spot.

45 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And if you do drive to the Canadian side of the falls, go another couple miles north to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a lovely (and very British) village where the Niagara River and Lake Ontario meet. 

I was told how lovely this was by a southern friend who visited. I was embarrassed that I had never been! His partner is British and she really loved it too. 

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was told how lovely this was by a southern friend who visited. I was embarrassed that I had never been! His partner is British and she really loved it too. 

It is nice... But kinda sterile and cookie cutter.  But quaint in a Bougie way.  Not that's bad.

13 hours ago, GG said:

Do you really want to spend over an hour on the bus?

Honesty, just over 60 minutes on a bus wouldn't be a huge piece of turmoil. 

5 hours ago, BritBill said:

Honesty, just over 60 minutes on a bus wouldn't be a huge piece of turmoil. 

The train would be even worse. Definitely fly. Once in Buffalo, how comfy are you driving on the right? Easiest and most efficient way to see the most sites if you drive yourself with a rental car. About $40/day at Buffalo airport.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The train would be even worse. Definitely fly. Once in Buffalo, how comfy are you driving on the right? Easiest and most efficient way to see the most sites if you drive yourself with a rental car. About $40/day at Buffalo airport.

Thanks. I'm not confident with driving abroad. Especially with having my son with me.

The bus is no problem. It means we'll also get to see some places we wouldn't normally if we stuck to the tourist guide.  We intend on setting off in good time on the Saturday morning from downtown.