Visiting buffalo

ukbuffalo

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'd rent a car.  One of Winston Churchill's favorite drives was on the Canadian side from Fort Erie (opposite BFLo) to Niagara Falls via the Niagara Parkway.  You'll have your passports, so do the loop around.  Go American Side, take in American Falls.  Cross @ Rainbow Bridge in Falls and take in Horseshoe Falls on Canadian Side.  Drive the Niagara Parkway back south to Fort Erie, cross the Peace Bridge @ BFLo... One of my favorite drives.

Good luck... So many choices!!!

When did Winston Churchill do this drive?  

18 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I did see some marks like those........

And a very large ocean freighter was being filled with grain, and it had your avatar on the side of it........or something like it, perhaps altered. Always wondered what that was.

That's a Plimsoll Line.  They are different load marks for various water temps, conditions, etc... It's so they don't overload and the insurance companies lose their shirts.  The AB Mark is so it can be loaded evenly bow to stern.  They keep that parallel/level to the waterline.

...It keeps my load even when I am navigating treacherous waters like the North Atlantic ie: @BringBackFergy ,Tropical Freshwater ie: @Gugny or Winter North Atantic ie: @Cripple Creek...YOU DOOO NOT want to deal with Winter North Atlantic and have a full load. CC is brutal.

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

When did Winston Churchill do this drive?  

I am not sure.  Will look it up.  Remember reading it.  I am thinking after war?

This was before Automobiles:

"International Churchill Society Canada. Winston Churchill had a deep affection for Canada, which he referred to as "the linchpin of the English-speaking peoples." The City of Toronto played a special role in this Canadian connection. Churchill first visited Canada in the winter of 1900/1901."

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

As a resident all my life I have some ideas.

Buffalo zoo is the 3rd oldest zoo in the country and fantastic

Niagara falls is always a must for tourist's

Maybe go downtown to Shea's district and catch a play or concert

Bisons baseball game downtown

Try pizza and wings from a local mom and pop joint

We have more museum's per person than most cities. Albright Knox is probably most well known and world famous

If you are open to driving around a bit go to Knox Farms. It's a beautiful estate with hundreds of acres of beautiful scenery.. habitats, wildlife , hiking trails 

I think the Bisons season is over by the time the home opener would be

My parents used to take us to the Buffalo zoo every year as kids.

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

Cheers.

A couple of dollars on the 40 remains the choice at this time.

Do you really want to spend over an hour on the bus?

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'd rent a car.  One of Winston Churchill's favorite drives was on the Canadian side from Fort Erie (opposite BFLo) to Niagara Falls via the Niagara Parkway.  You'll have your passports, so do the loop around.  Go American Side, take in American Falls.  Cross @ Rainbow Bridge in Falls and take in Horseshoe Falls on Canadian Side.  Drive the Niagara Parkway back south to Fort Erie, cross the Peace Bridge @ BFLo... One of my favorite drives.

Good luck... So many choices!!!

And if you do drive to the Canadian side of the falls, go another couple miles north to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a lovely (and very British) village where the Niagara River and Lake Ontario meet. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think the Bisons season is over by the time the home opener would be

My parents used to take us to the Buffalo zoo every year as kids.

Ahhhh yea I didn't even think of that

Bisons are probably done 

45 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And if you do drive to the Canadian side of the falls, go another couple miles north to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a lovely (and very British) village where the Niagara River and Lake Ontario meet. 

I was told how lovely this was by a southern friend who visited. I was embarrassed that I had never been! His partner is British and she really loved it too. 

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was told how lovely this was by a southern friend who visited. I was embarrassed that I had never been! His partner is British and she really loved it too. 

It is nice... But kinda sterile and cookie cutter.  But quaint in a Bougie way.  Not that's bad.

5 hours ago, BritBill said:

Honesty, just over 60 minutes on a bus wouldn't be a huge piece of turmoil. 

The train would be even worse. Definitely fly. Once in Buffalo, how comfy are you driving on the right? Easiest and most efficient way to see the most sites if you drive yourself with a rental car. About $40/day at Buffalo airport.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The train would be even worse. Definitely fly. Once in Buffalo, how comfy are you driving on the right? Easiest and most efficient way to see the most sites if you drive yourself with a rental car. About $40/day at Buffalo airport.

Thanks. I'm not confident with driving abroad. Especially with having my son with me.

The bus is no problem. It means we'll also get to see some places we wouldn't normally if we stuck to the tourist guide.  We intend on setting off in good time on the Saturday morning from downtown.  

57 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Totally rent a car.  Can't do much in expansive US without own car.

Funny story @BritBill I worked with a guy who was married to a lady from the London area.  Her family came to visit them in Illinois (Chicagoland area).  They flew into O'Hare/ORD.  Two things they noted:

1. Go to Disney World. (Orlando is 1,000 miles from Chicago)...There I would agree, grab a flight.  

2. They were amazed by all the trees in the US. 

LMAO...

NYC is only a 375 mile trip.  That's a nice day trip via car... By the time you get to airport security, etc... It will take longer.  Stay rolling, you'll see so much more and have so much more felxibility and freedom.

IMO, you'll be waiting around, doing a lot less if you are waiting for transportation.

Just my two shillings.

Now... If you want to go to Orlando... Hop a flight!  LoL...?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Totally rent a car.  Can't do much in expansive US without own car.

Funny story @BritBill I worked with a guy who was married to a lady from the London area.  Her family came to visit them in Illinois (Chicagoland area).  They flew into O'Hare/ORD.  Two things they noted:

1. Go to Disney World. (Orlando is 1,000 miles from Chicago)...There I would agree, grab a flight.  

2. They were amazed by all the trees in the US. 

LMAO...

NYC is only a 375 mile trip.  That's a nice day trip via car... By the time you get to airport security, etc... It will take longer.  Stay rolling, you'll see so much more and have so much more felxibility and freedom.

IMO, you'll be waiting around, doing a lot less if you are waiting for transportation.

Just my two shillings.

Now... If you want to go to Orlando... Hop a flight!  LoL...?

I think I'm pretty switched on geography wise so I've no plans to visit Orlando for the day ?

We're only in Buffalo for the weekend and on the Sunday we're catching the Patriots game. 

I've already been to NYC and Chicago. In 2005 when the England soccer team played in the US. BTW, I preferred Chicago to NYC. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Though it sounds like there won't be time, Letchworth State Park is a beautiful place to visit.

3 spectacular waterfalls and a beautiful gorge. It's like a cross between the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

I think I'm pretty switched on geography wise so I've no plans to visit Orlando for the day ?

We're only in Buffalo for the weekend and on the Sunday we're catching the Patriots game. 

I've already been to NYC and Chicago. In 2005 when the England soccer team played in the US. BTW, I preferred Chicago to NYC. 

+1.

I laughed at the bolded part!  Wise call.  I am dealing with a son with time management short-comings so sorry if I come across pulling planning totally the other way, leaving a ton of room to spare!  ?

But... It was totally funny, my co-workers British in-laws... They touch down at ORD and say (serious): "We'd like to go to Disney World." My friend was beside himself... LMAO...