Any Duke Williams News from Camp?

I was very intrigued when we signed this guy but I have yet to see anything related to his name from camp reports. With ALL of our TEs having a tough time staying on the field could we try him at TE and at least get him some reps? I know he is only 6'2 but it might be a way for the team to develop him and see what he has. What do you guys think?

• Haha (+1) 1

I saw a couple tweets yesterday from day 3, the first padded practice, that he had a rep that stood out he got off press from the cornerback I think it was Levi Wallace and caught a nice pass on a slant. 

Other than that doesn't look like he has been getting a lot of reps with the ones

Like I said when we signed him, he's the most recent version of Eric Rogers and Duron Carter...two CFL star WR's.

Neither lasted very long in the NFL.

Eric Rogers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Rogers_(gridiron_football)

In 2015, Rogers' numbers were league-leading: "Rogers put up big numbers this past season for the Calgary Stampeders. He led the league with 1,448 receiving yards, was fourth with 87 receptions, and tied for the league lead with 10 receiving touchdowns."[8]

On January 20, 2016, Rogers signed with the San Francisco 49ers after visiting 16 different NFL teams.[9] He tore his ACL in training camp and missed the entire 2016 season. On August 27, 2016, Rogers was placed on injured reserve.[10] On May 2, 2017, Rogers was waived by the 49ers.[11]

Duron Carter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duron_Carter

Carter originally planned to hold a Pro Day for all NFL teams to attend in early January 2015, an idea which was later scrubbed in favor of personal meetings/workouts with various NFL teams. The first four teams with which Carter had meetings and workouts for were the Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kansas City Chiefs and the Indianapolis Colts. Carter also had a workout with the Carolina Panthers on January 14, 2015.[10] Other NFL clubs that expressed their interest in the wide-out included the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns and Tennessee Titans.[11] 

On February 2, 2015, the Colts announced that Carter had signed a 3-year, $1.575 million contract with the team. Only $25,000 of his contract was guaranteed for 2015, and he did not receive a signing bonus.[15][16]

On September 5, 2015, the Indianapolis Colts announced they had cut Carter from the team.[17] He signed to the Colts' practice squad on September 6.[18] After the season ended, Carter was not signed to a future/reserve contract by Indianapolis, and became a free agent on January 12, 2016.[19]

If he makes it, it'll be a pleasant surprise...but as far as I'm concerned, he's a camp body and practice squad candidate.

Edited by JustWinPlease

1 hour ago, WizdomCalling said:

I was very intrigued when we signed this guy but I have yet to see anything related to his name from camp reports. With ALL of our TEs having a tough time staying on the field could we try him at TE and at least get him some reps? I know he is only 6'2 but it might be a way for the team to develop him and see what he has. What do you guys think?

There've been a couple sightings since pads went on yesterday.

Duke Williams just outmuscled Levi Wallace in 1-on-1 drill and Josh Allen hit him on the slant. Physical. #Bills

— Matt Parrino (@MattParrino) July 27, 2019

Williams used a gangster release to create space at the LOS https://t.co/y4CVKjQ9vA

— Cover 1 (@Cover_1_) July 27, 2019

http://billsmafia.com/2019/07/27/astronotes-bills-practice-3/
osh is now throwing to WRs who are obviously practicing dekes, jukes, ankle-breakers or (if you’re Foster or Brown) just getting separation with speed. Josh’s throw to Robert Foster is outside-shoulder, a deep bucket throw to the corner of the end zone. My first Catch of The Day. The ball was perfect, Foster burned the Levi Wallace and a safety, and his focus did the rest. TD. Next, top Buffalo goalie Tre White is juked by Smoky Brown, who really adds a top layer of shiftiness to Foster’s speed. Taron Johnson has to commit DPI on RayRay McCloud to contain him on Josh’s next pass. The ball falls to the turf, but it’d be a DPI penalty (unless you’re the Saints in the NFC Championship, of course). Denzel Rice gets turned about by Zay Jones, and D’haquille Williams catches a ball (missed the number of the defender).

WR Coach Hall reminded Duke Williams to work back to the ball on the comeback route.
He made the turn and waited on the ball.
— Erik Turner (@ErikJTurner) July 28, 2019

http://billsmafia.com/2019/07/28/astronotes-bills-practice-4/

D’haquille Williams has a trainer stretching out his adductor/abductor muscles.

Barkley gets the start for 7 on 7 drills, missing low on his first attempt and connecting to John “I’m The Reason You’re With The Twos” Brown and a fully-healed D’haquille Williams. He finishes his series with a connector to Zay Jones for a 50% accuracy rate.

That's all I got for ya.  He seems to be running mostly with the 2's.  I think he'll stay at WR, but I could be surprised.
I'm most interested to know if he's working at all with ST, because he seems like a guy who relishes contact, and that coupled with any promise at WR might keep him on the team.

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I saw a couple tweets yesterday from day 3, the first padded practice, that he had a rep that stood out he got off press from the cornerback I think it was Levi Wallace and caught a nice pass on a slant. 

Other than that doesn't look like he has been getting a lot of reps with the ones

I don't think he's gotten a single rep with the ones. That particular play came during the 1v1 portion of practice I believe.

From what I've read so far, he's largely been invisible

29 minutes ago, McBean said:

Duke Williams is this years Mike Jasper

He's really not.  Honestly. 

Jasper was a physical freak who played football at a very low level, NAIA, because his huge size kept any higher level programs from interest.  It's basically like he spent his college career playing Jr High kids.   Yeah, if he could have made it, maybe his physical freakishness would have helped him excel but it was always a long long road.  He was a "feel good" story and I always wondered what was up with the whole business of drafting him.

Williams was a legit 5 star recruit who played for a top program and made his way off the team due to A&A (anger and attitude).  He then became a legit star in the CFL.

Yes, he's a long shot here, but he's a serious prospect who showed in college he can play at the top college level the other rookies come from.  If he were on a team with less depth at WR like (say) the Giants, he might make the team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If it comes down to the last WR spot and the choice is between keeping another small sized speedster, or a tall, physical possession receiver, Duke may get the nod just due to his unique attributes.  Daboll seems to like having a lot of different tools in his tool kit to game plan with.

The Duke is no smurf.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's really not.  Honestly. 

Jasper was a physical freak who played football at a very low level, NAIA, because his huge size kept any higher level programs from interest.  It's basically like he spent his college career playing Jr High kids.   Yeah, if he could have made it, maybe his physical freakishness would have helped him excel but it was always a long long road.  He was a "feel good" story and I always wondered what was up with the whole business of drafting him.

Williams was a legit 5 star recruit who played for a top program and made his way off the team due to A&A (anger and attitude).  He then became a legit star in the CFL.

Yes, he's a long shot here, but he's a serious prospect who showed in college he can play at the top college level the other rookies come from.  If he were on a team with less depth at WR like (say) the Giants, he might make the team.

This ^

He may or may not make this roster, but at the end of the day he is and always was a legit signing in terms of potential.  A bit part of his game is being physical, so I think now that pads are on we may start seeing his name more.  

I personally am pulling for him or Sills to make the roster to give us another dynamic at WR that’s not really present in the room.  Guys who can high point the ball and play big (especially Duke).  But I trust McD and Beane will ultimately make the right decisions, so will just be fun to see it play out.

Im most excited to see Duke play in preseason, I think we will know if he’s got a shot or not when he gets some field time with Barkley week 1.  

And like I said in other posts, I think the plan is to minimize the rotation at WR and OL early in camp to help settle Josh in and get him in a groove because nothing is more important than that.  I expect guys like Duke, Sills, Ray Ray, McKenzie etc will start getting more meaningful reps early in the preseason and then how they play in those chances will start to get them more or less work and we will start getting an idea who has a real shot to make the roster.