Astronotes Day 4 7/28

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McKenzie is 5'8", 173.  Rayray is 5'9", 190.  They are guys who would like like, well, ordinary guys walking down the street.

They may get to the return man first in coverage - but can they tackle him?  Cordarelle Patterson, 6'2", 228?  Even Andre Roberts, McKenzie gives him 3" and 20 lbs. 

Steve Tasker was 5'9" and played at 185, so it's possible but that was Then...

But they are out there playing. The big guys aren't. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

What happens if Barkley looks like the better QB thru the preseason?  He is way more accurate.

I’m assuming this is sarcasm but I think the staff learned their lesson about starting the guy who looks the “most accurate” in TC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Ray Ray plays teams and keeps improving he is the final Wr... 1 Brown 2 Beasley 3 Jones 4 Foster 5 Roberts.  Besides Beasley I think they want someone who can spell him at times.  They liked McCloud enough to keep him even through his rocky rookie season.  Dabol and McDermott have been very complimentary of him.  He is who they would like to have.  If Mccloud makes a few special team plays in preseason without the ball he makes it.  McKenzie is the second option and Cam Phillips is the third.  Sills and Williams are long shots with Brown, Jones, Foster and Roberts ahead of them on the outside.  They would need to be preseason all stars. 

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McKenzie is 5'8", 173.  Rayray is 5'9", 190.  They are guys who would like like, well, ordinary guys walking down the street.

So you’re saying I have a chance? Put me in coach! I’m often mistaken for an ordinary guy when I’m walking down the street.

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

The same thing that happened when he looked like the better QB last season vs. the Jets. This is Allen's team.

They are looking at the ceiling, not the floor. It will play out. 

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Err...pads just went on yesterday

Yes, it is early. But at the moment McKenzie and McCloud are ahead of the big guys in the receiver rotation and out there ahead of them on special teams as well. I don't think I am crazy in thinking that Sills and Duke are behind the 8 ball. 

And while it is early I say again that the pattern in the two McDermott camps has been that at receiver it was the guys that made noise early in camp that stuck.... not necessarily the guys who played the best in pre season. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

What happens if Barkley looks like the better QB thru the preseason?  He is way more accurate.

Then this board is going to lose its mind. 

Reality is Barkley May well stand a chance of being competent, Allen represents a swing for the fences. He’s a shot at elite, great, exceptional.

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, it is early. But at the moment McKenzie and McCloud are ahead of the big guys in the receiver rotation and out there ahead of them on special teams as well. I don't think I am crazy in thinking that Sills and Duke are behind the 8 ball. 

And while it is early I say again that the pattern in the two McDermott camps has been that at receiver it was the guys that made noise early in camp that stuck.... not necessarily the guys who played the best in pre season. 

Am I alone in thinking that McKenzie, and McCloud are a little small for the role of gunners? 

13 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Am I alone in thinking that McKenzie, and McCloud are a little small for the role of gunners? 

No, not at all alone.  I have that concern myself.  On the one hand, Steve Tasker was 5'9" and played at 185, so it's possible

On the other hand, Steve Tasker was kind of unique, and some of the players used as returners are larger now.

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just sayin', it's one ST scenario reported by Astro, and doesn't necessarily represent all that's going on.

It's also possible that after some actual tackling, the player ST assignments may change.

You're still not crazy in thinking that Duke Williams and Sills are not lining up as sure shots to make the team.

These reports have been great!  I almost feel like I went to the practice after having read it.  I've now read 1-4 and I'm hooked!

I've seen Victor Bolden getting mentioned a fair amount for making nice catches.  This WR battle is shaping up to be pretty juicy.  Preseason can't come fast enough!

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're still not crazy in thinking that Duke Williams and Sills are not lining up as sure shots to make the team.

They are more than no sure shots. They are long shots. And I am not the only one saying it - it is the consensus on social media from guys (both media reps and fans) who have been out at camp. 

5 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

He gets to throw passes to you in your back yard while Josh is playing in front of a sold out crowd at the stadium.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

No more Astro Notes until Wednesday ?

Isn't there a closed-to-the-public, media-only camp Tuesday?  But I guess Rastro doesn't qualify.

Edited by PromoTheRobot