Astronotes Day 4 7/28

1 minute ago, ScotSHO said:

What happens if Barkley looks like the better QB thru the preseason?  He is way more accurate.

Nothing I have read about the first 4 practices indicates Barkley is close to Allen in terms of play or command.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

LOL "With Beasley behind Brown on this side, there’s an all-out blitz. Allen’s cool as a cucumber in your vegetable drawer. He hits Beasley on a slant for a major gain."

5 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

What happens if Barkley looks like the better QB thru the preseason?  He is way more accurate.

We get to feel better about the guy who is our #2 QB and about keeping him ahead of Tyree Jackson.

----------------

Foster must have some clear body language.  Astro tagging him as 'Robert “Why Am I With The Twos” Foster', Smoky as 'John “I’m The Reason You’re With The Twos” Brown', Foster again as 'Robert “Can You Please Trade Smoky” Foster' LOL.

I liked Astro's bit about what's different about this training camp, but one thing I wonder about is whether previous training camps had the offense running on script, whereas this year Daboll is mixing it up depending upon what he sees.  Here's an example of why I speculate the latter:

" Josh Allen returns with his line of Dawkins, Spain, Bodine, Long, and Ford. The line blocks so well that Frank Gore sailed right up through the middle of the NFL’s best run defense. That’s what I’m talking about. Allen changes the next play at the line, and the toss sweep to Shady worked well to the far side. The D had bunched up in the middle, leaving the edge open. Smashmouth Formation on the next play fools the D when it’s a play-action pass, but Josh throws his worst ball of the day, behind Smoky Brown, right into the open arms of Tre White. "

Leaving aside the "best run defense" snark, it sounds as though Daboll is playing chess with the D, like "HA!  we ran it up the middle!" "HA! you're gonna bunch the middle and leave the edge open, watch this!" "Ha!  I bet you'll think we'll never pass from this formation!"

Which I see as Great, because why have training camp if it's not going to be at least in some regards, reflective of what the players will see in games?

• Like (+1) 2

Really like Astro's (and other reporters) takes on how well Training Camp is being run/coached.

So far it looks like McDermott's changes in coaches at QB, OL, WR and ST were all needed and improved.

Sounds like McDermott's staff is finding a good balance between teaching/accountability/camaraderie.

Maybe I put more into this than some think necessary but it's always been important to me.

I guess Daboll had to dress down Tyree.  I hope he can improve, not only for his sake, but also for the offensive players around him.

I'm still hoping Tyree can be worth sliding into the Practice Squad.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL "With Beasley behind Brown on this side, there’s an all-out blitz. Allen’s cool as a cucumber in your vegetable drawer. He hits Beasley on a slant for a major gain."

We get to feel better about the guy who is our #2 QB and about keeping him ahead of Tyree Jackson.

----------------

Foster must have some clear body language.  Astro tagging him as 'Robert “Why Am I With The Twos” Foster', Smoky as 'John “I’m The Reason You’re With The Twos” Brown', Foster again as 'Robert “Can You Please Trade Smoky” Foster' LOL.

I liked Astro's bit about what's different about this training camp, but one thing I wonder about is whether previous training camps had the offense running on script, whereas this year Daboll is mixing it up depending upon what he sees.  Here's an example of why I speculate the latter:

" Josh Allen returns with his line of Dawkins, Spain, Bodine, Long, and Ford. The line blocks so well that Frank Gore sailed right up through the middle of the NFL’s best run defense. That’s what I’m talking about. Allen changes the next play at the line, and the toss sweep to Shady worked well to the far side. The D had bunched up in the middle, leaving the edge open. Smashmouth Formation on the next play fools the D when it’s a play-action pass, but Josh throws his worst ball of the day, behind Smoky Brown, right into the open arms of Tre White. "

Leaving aside the "best run defense" snark, it sounds as though Daboll is playing chess with the D, like "HA!  we ran it up the middle!" "HA! you're gonna bunch the middle and leave the edge open, watch this!" "Ha!  I bet you'll think we'll never pass from this formation!"

Which I see as Great, because why have training camp if it's not going to be at least in some regards, reflective of what the players will see in games?

I'm not sure this is from his body language and not just Astro having some fun with a situation fans have noticed and commented on.

Edited by Warcodered
because so and not mean very different things.

34 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm so sure this is from his body language and not just Astro having some fun with a situation fans have noticed and commented on.

I vote for option 3, "both of the above", only because a couple of the more knowledgeable guys watching camp and tweeting have independently commented on the former.

Best one yet from Astro. He is properly into his stride for the year now. 

The WR combos were really interesting. Reiterates I think what I have said consistently. There is a top 4 and then a battle but that the "big guys" that a lot of fans love - Sills and Duke face an uphill battle. They are just not getting many, if any, first team looks. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Best one yet from Astro. He is properly into his stride for the year now. 

The WR combos were really interesting. Reiterates I think what I have said consistently. There is a top 4 and then a battle but that the "big guys" that a lot of fans love - Sills and Duke face an uphill battle. They are just not getting many, if any, first team looks. 

But do they play ST?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But do they play ST?

Haven't heard that they do. If someone wants to tweet Astro and ask him if he can keep an eye out for us as to who is out there on STs I would appreciate it. The only thing I have seen so far is Siran Neal is getting first shot as the gunner in coverage units..

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haven't heard that they do. If someone wants to tweet Astro and ask him if he can keep an eye out for us as to who is out there on STs I would appreciate it. The only thing I have seen so far is Siran Neal is getting first shot as the gunner in coverage units..

Astro mentioned on special teams today:
"Kick Return practice was all The Andre Roberts Show. Like it or not, he’s on the team as the WR#6/KR#1. Some key special teamers out there were Pat DiMarco, Stanford, Sweeney, Isaiah McKenzie, and my man Nick Easley. Players reaching Roberts first were Easley, RayRay, and McKenzie."

That doesn't sound as though Sills or Williams are either in on it or going strong....

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So McKenzie and McCloud are playing teams. I am 90% sure it comes down to one or the other of those two for the final receiver spot. 

McKenzie is 5'8", 173.  Rayray is 5'9", 190.  They are guys who would like like, well, ordinary guys walking down the street.

They may get to the return man first in coverage - but can they tackle him?  Cordarelle Patterson, 6'2", 228?  Even Andre Roberts, McKenzie gives him 3" and 20 lbs. 

Steve Tasker was 5'9" and played at 185, so it's possible but that was Then...