Bills Training Camp: Day 4 - 7/28

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Awwww, we'd be all making excuses...errrr, finding exculpatory explanations.  The defense is always ahead of the offense this time of year.  Look at all the drops he had!  We just need to clean the rust off and get those WR to focus.  He's not throwing picks - he's making good decisions.  etc.

well lets just be happy we havnt had to take that route yet!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

im not reading too much into it. maybe their line looking bad and blowing bell up in the back

I mean he and the Jets could suck.  But it’s just weird how much stock some fans put in practice reports (we are all excited).  I just remember when I played, we would have terrible practices, coaches would scream at us and make us run until we couldn’t walk, then they would cancel the next practice because we suck.  Then, we would have a great practice and they loved us again.  

I dont think the Bills in the 90s even practiced in training camp haha.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gunner summed it up:

"I make that Foster 5; Zay 5; Beasley 4; Brown 3 (but we know he has had significant snaps every day); Then 2 for McKenzie and one for Cam Phillips."

I'm not sure what your point is here.   The reason Foster's name shows up is that the team likes him and wants to give him every chance

But these are only 7 out of 24 or so plays in (I think) the team portion of practice.  It doesn't reflect the team's depth chart now or in the season.

Based on what's been reported so far, if you think Foster and Zay are seeing the field more than Beasley and Brown now or will get more during the season unless injuries (avert), I don't know what to tell you

The bolded was my point exactly 

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Yo!  Folks who have been commenting on the offense- and passing game- centered nature of Astro and other camp coverage - check out the 2nd link from Sean Murphy at Buffalo Rumblings.  Got some good detail on the defense, what Ed Oliver is being coached up on, who's running with the 2nds and the 3rds on the DL.

Some good writing too - Josh Allen and Beasley doing karate in the garage ??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

im not reading too much into it. maybe their line looking bad and blowing bell up in the back

Bell left $14 million and the Steelers Oline in the rear view mirror. He may learn to regret that.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

but does he really have possession of the ball?

That's a situational question.

Did it appear that he maintain possession all the way to the ground?

Then yes, it's a catch.

Did his catch occur in the end zone to give the Steelers the lead in the final seconds of a game vs. NE*?? 

Then no, it's not a catch.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/28/2019 at 9:03 AM, MAJBobby said:

So sad it has now taken 4 days of Practice and one of those in pads and the flagship station of WGR finally covers a live practice. 

Really, it was abysmal coverage at that. Somehow they managed to put the show's host (Nate) in a spot that he could not see the field from! So they had Sal reporting from the field, but Nate talked over him, asking the same old things over and over, barely stopping every few minutes to get a few words from Sal. Meanwhile, we could hear oohs, cheers and other reactions from the crowd. It was beyond frustrating. Couldn't have been produced any worse. WGR owes its listeners a whole lot better.

7 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well lets just be happy we haven't had to take that route yet!

I don't know. I get the feeling there's a lot of pent up negativity waiting to pour out with the next bad performance. We're not used to this much competency.  I listened to Jerry Sullivan's podcasts today and the guy sounds like he's withering away. He's got nothing to go off on. He's even begging his reporter guests for any crumb of bad news from Bills camp.

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. I get the feeling there's a lot of pent up negativity waiting to pour out with the next bad performance. We're not used to this much competency.  I listened to Jerry Sullivan's podcasts today and the guy sounds like he's withering away. He's got nothing to go off on. He's even begging his reporter guests for any crumb of bad news from Bills camp.

Oh there are definitely a handful of members here just licking there chops waiting for that first rough day from Allen. 

15 hours ago, eball said:

For the love of god, why?  If there is any time to get excited and "pumped up" it's now!  We've got an up-and-coming HC, a young stud at QB, a roster finally brimming with talent, and a front office that is actually following through on a plan!

I read posts "worrying" about this and that -- a post earlier in this thread is by someone apparently "terrified" about how a player may let him down.  Get a grip!  If you can't have fun with this team after all we've been through as Bills fans please consult your mental health professional immediately!  BBFS has a cure!

Been a die hard fan since 1963. Pumping up every TC can wear on you, but I can tell it's happening again. My wife says I'll never learn and that's likely so!

• Like (+1) 2

https://theathletic.com/1104285/2019/07/29/through-four-days-of-bills-camp-thoughts-and-analysis-on-all-91-players/

Wide receiver

If the first four days are any indication, Brown and Beasley will be front and center of the Bills’ passing attack in 2019. Brown has already shown off his deep-route ability to beat the defender, track the ball over his shoulder and complete the catch. It’s his intermediate route running to the sidelines, however, that’s largely underrated. The route complements Allen’s arm strength just as much as the deep ball. The early signs for this connection are all positive.

As for Beasley’s footwork and route set-up are, I can recall only one Bills receiver in recent memory who was as agile: Stevie Johnson. Beasley reads the defender much like a ball-handler in basketball when trying to set up a crossover. It took a few misfires through the first two days, but Allen and Beasley got on the same page in a big way when the pads went on over the weekend. On Sunday, it resulted in six receptions on 17 pass attempts.

Zay Jones and Robert Foster have their work cut out for them if they want to be prolific pieces of this offense. Outside of an early red-zone catch and coaches vocally admiring his route-running, Jones has been mostly silent. Despite the lack of targets, Jones has been working primarily with the first-team offense. The former second-round pick also sat out of team drills Sunday for an undisclosed reason and was spotted speaking with members of the medical staff after practice. Foster has been working mostly with the second unit as Brown’s primary backup. Although Foster is considerably taller than Brown, they have similar skill sets, and the second-year player has flocked to the veteran as a mentor. Through four days, Foster is firmly the fourth wide receiver.

Andre Roberts has worked on both the inside and outside of the formation. Along with his returning duties, he seems entrenched as the fifth receiver on the depth chart. The battle for the sixth spot starts with slot man Ray-Ray McCloud. The 2018 sixth-round pick returned to Buffalo with a more chiseled physique and it’s showed so far in on-field results. Victor Bolden Jr. had a strong spring but has since disappeared, working behind both Brown and Foster. Cam Phillips, as he did last summer, has made some flashy plays that have created more opportunities for him — including time with the first unit in Jones’ normal spot on Sunday. Undrafted slot receiver Nick Easley has also provided some spark with the third-team offense. Isaiah McKenzie, Duke Williams and David Sills V have all faded into the background at camp.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Exactly.  This is what people did after the bad pre-season against the Bengals last year.