Bills Training Camp: Day 4 - 7/28

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Foster did not look good at all today.  Lots of drops and his body language appeared like he was getting down on himself.  Hopefully he can step it up.

This is what terrifies me about him.  Some people just anointed after last year.  Dude has a ton of ability but there’s a reason he was cut here, not claimed, and didn’t really play at Bama.  I worry that in a big spot, he will have a huge drop.  And I bet he does because drops get in your head as a receiver.  But on physical skills, he’s probably our most talented receiver.  Takes a lot more than that though.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, K-9 said:

They are off tomorrow, but practice on Tuesday. It’s not open to the public; media only.

That’s why some of the bloggers are pissed that the Bills won’t credential them. As far as I know, other teams don’t credential bloggers either. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s why some of the bloggers are pissed that the Bills won’t credential them. As far as I know, other teams don’t credential bloggers either. 

I’m a bit ambivalent on the matter. 

TY NSEKHE was picked by many here to start at one of the tackle spots yet he has not seen any time with the 1s. How does the coaching staff determine opening camp starters? Will he get a chance to earn a starting spot? I would think he signed here for that opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, K-No said:

TY NSEKHE was picked by many here to start at one of the tackle spots yet he has not seen any time with the 1s. How does the coaching staff determine opening camp starters? Will he get a chance to earn a starting spot? I would think he signed here for that opportunity. 

I think he has, actually. He rotates with Ford, even though Ford starts out there. 

7 minutes ago, K-No said:

I think the Bills believe they know what they have in Nsekhe, as he has a lot of experience. They might want to get a good look at what Ford can do, especially early on. While Nsekhe has obvious value as a backup/ swing player , I wouldn’t close the book on him emerging as one of the starting 5 OL at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So

Oliver is a bust?

:devil:

One of the things I am curious to know: Over four days of practice, everyone online and at the camp have been non-stop talking about the offense.  Look at all of Astro's notes....so focused on offense (or offense centric).  Usually at this time of the year, the defense is well ahead of offense.  However, not a peep about the defense.  

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

One of the things I am curious to know: Over four days of practice, everyone online and at the camp have been non-stop talking about the offense.  Look at all of Astro's notes....so focused on offense (or offense centric).  Usually at this time of the year, the defense is well ahead of offense.  However, not a peep about the defense.  

So many new faces on offense, it makes sense that the coaches would want to get them some confidence early on. I expect the D to give them different looks and make it more competitive in the new few practices.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

So many new faces on offense, it makes sense that the coaches would want to get them some confidence early on. I expect the D to give them different looks and make it more competitive in the new few practices.

Agreed. I was not talking about the coaches though.  More on how the media, online and camp-dwellers are so focused on the offense.  I assume fans are equally curious to see the changes in offense, whereas the defense is returning 10 of the 11 starters from last year.  I do want to know where is the run defense on this team.  If they don;t stop the run, we will be in trouble like last year.

Nyske is plan B at OT.  Dawkins and Ford are plan A. Dawkins and Ford could bookend for years.  Nyske can slide in at either spot no problem.  Imo he is a better pass blocker than both.  Dawkins and Ford have the run blocking style they want.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Nyske is plan B at OT.  Dawkins and Ford are plan A. Dawkins and Ford could bookend for years.  Nyske can slide in at either spot no problem.  Imo he is a better pass blocker than both.  Dawkins and Ford have the run blocking style they want.  

This -and the fact he signed a multi year contract with a huge payday. He’s valuable and if he is just our swing tackle, he could play til he’s 40. We made him very ha$$y to be here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is what terrifies me about him.  Some people just anointed after last year.  Dude has a ton of ability but there’s a reason he was cut here, not claimed, and didn’t really play at Bama.  I worry that in a big spot, he will have a huge drop.  And I bet he does because drops get in your head as a receiver.  But on physical skills, he’s probably our most talented receiver.  Takes a lot more than that though.

Like the people who insist that he is already better than Robby Anderson? 

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think the Bills believe they know what they have in Nsekhe, as he has a lot of experience. They might want to get a good look at what Ford can do, especially early on. While Nsekhe has obvious value as a backup/ swing player , I wouldn’t close the book on him emerging as one of the starting 5 OL at all. 

It is the same way it has been all along. He was brought here as insurance. Insurance against them not getting a tackle in the draft and insurance against against that tackle not being ready to start week 1. If Cody looks good in practice Nsekhe is their swing backup. Which was, I believe, always their ideal outcome. 

Taken from Astro's notes... notice how many times Foster's name show up... there's a reason for that:

Here are combinations used by Daboll on the ensuing plays with Josh. It shows the imagination and attention to detail, variety, and diagnostic work put in by the coaches.

->Brown, Beasley, Cam Phillips
->Foster, Zay, Beasley
->Brown, Zay, Beasley with Singletary
->Foster, Zay, Brown
->Foster, Beasley, McKenzie with Singletary 
->Foster, Gore, DiMarco, Zay
->Foster, Zay, McKenzie 

Edited by transplantbillsfan

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Taken from Astro's notes... notice how many times Foster's name show up... there's a reason for that:

Here are combinations used by Daboll on the ensuing plays with Josh. It shows the imagination and attention to detail, variety, and diagnostic work put in by the coaches.

->Brown, Beasley, Cam Phillips
->Foster, Zay, Beasley
->Brown, Zay, Beasley with Singletary
->Foster, Zay, Brown
->Foster, Beasley, McKenzie with Singletary 
->Foster, Gore, DiMarco, Zay
->Foster, Zay, McKenzie 

I make that Foster 5; Zay 5; Beasley 4; Brown 3 (but we know he has had significant snaps every day);

Then 2 for McKenzie and one for Cam Phillips. With obviously some situations with running backs split out. The top 4 are clear. Foster might be 4th of those four at the moment but they are all part of this plan and will all make the roster unless something very strange happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I've been trying not to get too pumped up

For the love of god, why?  If there is any time to get excited and "pumped up" it's now!  We've got an up-and-coming HC, a young stud at QB, a roster finally brimming with talent, and a front office that is actually following through on a plan!

I read posts "worrying" about this and that -- a post earlier in this thread is by someone apparently "terrified" about how a player may let him down.  Get a grip!  If you can't have fun with this team after all we've been through as Bills fans please consult your mental health professional immediately!  BBFS has a cure!

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1