Team official: Buffalo Bills will not name anyone to Wall of Fame in 2019

Image result for cornelius bennett

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

The Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame currently has 31 members. The majority of the wall is dedicated to players, but coaches (Marv Levy, Lou Saban), GMs (Bill Polian), announcers (Van Miller), head athletic trainers (Ed Abramoski), the fan base (The 12th Man) and Buffalo’s original owner (Ralph Wilson Jr.) have also been recognized by the team.

Buffalo last honored late-running back Cookie Gilchrist in 2017. After taking a year off from honoring a former member of the organization, some believed the Bills could name someone to the Wall of Fame during the 2019 season, but it appears that is not in Buffalo’s plans.

In a Buffalo News piece on Marv Levy, the former head coach shares his desire to see former linebacker Cornelius Bennett get named to the Wall of Fame. Levy goes on to say that he wrote a letter to co-owner Kim Pegula in November 2018 to make his case for Bennett, but added that he didn’t know if Pegula received the letter. The News was ability to get a response from a team official on the matter. In the response, the Bills team official announced that Buffalo decided not to name anyone to the Wall of Fame in 2019.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/07/team-official-buffalo-bills-will-not-name-anyone-to-wall-of-fame-in-2019.html

Most are aware of some nasty allegations against Biscuit, but he was definitely a franchise changing player from the moment he became the best Halloween Treat ever. Had he not fled for huge FA $$, he’d likely already be up there -and possibly more serious consideration for the HOF. Yes, he still starred for Atlanta (5th SB) and finished strong where he “started” in Indy, but he fell out of the national limelight when he left Buffalo. He regularly returns for Bills engagements and I betcha he regrets that decision to bolt for his hometown of Atlanta.. 

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting to see Levy didn't shy away from the Sexual misconduct allegations.  I always thought that was unfair to Bennett if that's what is truly keeping him off the Wall because Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, Andre all have skeletons in their closet as well from off the field incidents in their playing days even though they didn't get a record for it.  I'm not condoning what Bennett did but as Marv states in his letter he has already paid the price for his actions and has moved on and became a better person.  Bills don't go to four Super Bowls in a row without Biscuit's impact.  Get it done Pegula's!

27 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Good, maybe we’re finally done milking that sweet sweet 90’s nostalgia for good.

I’m still wondering how tf Cookie is up there. 3 years isn’t enough for anyone to be hallowed, no matter what they achieve. Additionally, he was an idiot and quit on the team during a championship run.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m still wondering how tf Cookie is up there. 3 years isn’t enough for anyone to be hallowed, no matter what they achieve. Additionally, he was an idiot and quit on the team during a championship run.

Agree completely about Cookie Crumbs as I heard one ex-AFL player refer him as.

• Like (+1) 1

Moulds probably deserves it. Second best WR in team history.  Talley and Ferguson did not. Not sure Jim Ritcher did either. All good to very good players but not superstars. Bennett was a far better player than Talley but didn't play as long with the Bills. I'm fine with him not being on the wall.

Winfield and P. Williams are guys that were great but again not long enough of a career in Buffalo.

Sadly the next guy that probably will go up will be Moorman.

Kyle is a sure bet in the next few years.

Schobel has better stats than Hansen (16 more sacks in 23 less games) but not the wins. He never got the fan appreciation I thought he deserved.

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Kyle Williams should be automatic, he shouldn't have to wait.

I disagree. He should have to wait just like everyone else. But there's no chance he won't get added.

I wonder if they are going to put Fred Jackson up there. I'm personally on the fence with him. All in all he was just an average back in the NFL, but he was the single bright spot for years and years.

I'd definitely put Butch Byrd up there. Moulds should be up. And I know it's controversial, but Moorman should definitely be up. He went to tons of pro bowls, was all pro, and was truly elite at his position.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I disagree. He should have to wait just like everyone else. But there's no chance he won't get added.

I wonder if they are going to put Fred Jackson up there. I'm personally on the fence with him. All in all he was just an average back in the NFL, but he was the single bright spot for years and years.

I'd definitely put Butch Byrd up there. Moulds should be up. And I know it's controversial, but Moorman should definitely be up. He went to tons of pro bowls, was all pro, and was truly elite at his position.

And Moorman was great in the community.  A very deserving name.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Most are aware of some nasty allegations against Biscuit, but he was definitely a franchise changing player from the moment he became the best Halloween Treat ever. Had he not fled for huge FA $$, he’d likely already be up there -and possibly more serious consideration for the HOF. Yes, he still starred for Atlanta (5th SB) and finished strong where he “started” in Indy, but he fell out of the national limelight when he left Buffalo. He regularly returns for Bills engagements and I betcha he regrets that decision to bolt for his hometown of Atlanta.. 

I am not, do you care to elaborate.

I would think Marv Levy could cal Kim Pegula and ask if she received the letter, pretty sure she would take the call.  Honestly Marv is 93, maybe he is losing it.

Not honoring anyone this year is the biggest non-event I can think of right now, who cares, besides Marv & Biscuit.  Always future years.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am not, do you care to elaborate.

I would think Marv Levy could cal Kim Pegula and ask if she received the letter, pretty sure she would take the call.  Honestly Marv is 93, maybe he is losing it.

Not honoring anyone this year is the biggest non-event I can think of right now, who cares, besides Marv & Biscuit.  Always future years.

No, I don’t care to elaborate. It’s easy enough to find, I suppose. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

3 straight years leading the AFL in rushing  TDs .. 2 All Pros, 1 MVP

He was next to Jim Brown as the baddest RB alive