Arizona releases Robert Nkemdiche

25 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'm shocked that souped-up Rakeem Nunez-Roches never worked out.

Shocked, I tells ya.

Here is the number one Nkemdiche hater folks. Blokes hated him that much he wouldn't even have used the Patriots 7th round pick on him.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nor did a lot of people. Was all projection with him. Oliver's college tape blows his out of the water. 

Arizona's first round picks since Pat Pete might be the sorriest collection of 1st round picks by any NFL team in that period. Wonder why they are a team with sub NFL talent? Their GM keeps busting with hisn1st rounders. 

@Chemical, this is what a disastrous draft looks like. Understand now?

18 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

@Chemical, this is what a disastrous draft looks like. Understand now?

It is a seriously awful list of 1st rounders since Keim became GM in 2013. In fairness to Keim he has a decent record in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Mathieu, John Brown, Christian Kirk, Marcus Golden, Buda Baker, David Johnson) but his 1sy round drafting has royally sucked. 

2013: Jonathan Cooper, G - spent 3 year on the team, traded to New England, now on 7th NFL team in 7 seasons. 

2014: Deone Bucannon, S - hybrid S/LB who spent 4 years playing numerous positions badly and being consistently graded as one of the worst players in the NFL. Signed with Arians and Bowles in Tampa as a FA this offseason. 

2015: DJ Humphries, T - the lone success. Started immediately at RT where he was very good, flipped to the left where he has remained serviceable if occasionally overmatched. 

2016: Robert Nkemdiche, DT - enough said. 

2017: Haason Reddick, OLB - yet another hybrid they considered worth a 1st round pick. Has failed to establish himself as a starter has been on the trade block for a year. Unfortunately others teams have access to his tape.

2018: Josh Rosen, QB - drafted a QB, put nothing around him. Failed. Given up on and traded at a loss after a year. 

2019: Kyler Murray, QB - I think Murray has a chance but like Bucannon and Reddick this is a punt on a guy who doesn't even nearly meet the prototype for the position in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's all on Allen at this point. They passed on a MVP QB and now they have to prove their QB is capable of getting them to the playoffs. If Allen is even above average with Edmunds, Oliver, and White all playing at a high level this team will be fine. Still worried about a pass rush but if those guys continue to develop then McD and Beane will be here for a while. As much as I am hesitant to give praise of this regime (Beane created the cap crisis and McD let Gilmore walk then blew a 3dd round comp pick), I really like what they have done with the OL. They overpaid for Morse but if he is even close to a top 5 center they should be able to put together a solid line with the mix of veterans and youth on this team. I like bringing back Lee Smith as a blocking TE. Hope they couple that with getting rid of useless FB position. And I like they drafted a TE. 

I want them to be successful. I just wish more people on this board would be more objective about the moves made. Most of what a GM does is educated guesses anyways. If they knew what they were doing then there wouldn't be the term bust.

? hmmm.. Lemme see.. To Hell with your Hate wishes! Ozzie Newsome, Gil Brandt, Bill Polian and EVERY OTHER GM in pro sports have made misjudgments on college players. NO ONE is immune to inaccurately assessing the future of 20 year old privileged jocks. 

I just wish more ‘people’ on this board would be more objective about the moves made. And not pretend to be some condescending yet cravenly witless negative Nancy’s.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

Yeah, I know he escaped with minor injuries. I'm just talking about mentally. Maybe he got his hands on some bad ish in college or maybe this has just been him all along? Maybe he's just another guy with talent, but is lazy? He just hasn't seemed the same since that to me. Maybe his is another story that will play out along the lines of VY. 

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

For every move that is touted as great they have made a bad one

I disagree.  In my opinion the good outweighs the bad by a wide margin, and none of the "bad" has involved significant draft capital or cap space.  And if you want to gripe about the free agents Beane signed going into 2018 I'll say, again, that those were simply roster fillers in a known year of transition.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

A lot of folks thought he'd be a great pro. Unfortunate he couldn't commit himself. Thank goodness we didn't draft him

He was one of the most dominant and physically gifted defensive tackles Ive watched on tape.  Literally rag dolled offensive lineman.

The big issue coming out was front offices thought he didnt love football enough.  Guess they were right.  Complete waste of talent.  

On 7/27/2019 at 10:50 PM, CommonCents said:

Not trying to get any hate cats out of their litter boxes but this is the guy Oliver reminded me of. Top 3 lock, not so much and attitude questions. I’m not down on Oliver but I’m weary.

I’m calling him Little Oliver until he gets a solo sack. 

Yeah but can Robert NK do this?

https://binged.it/336x0fU

Edited by freddyjj
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The guy is an athletic freak, I was so excited about him coming out of HS but knew something was up when he went to Ole Miss.

I hate being that guy, because I usually shoot it down. But I'd love to kick the tires on him and give him until next TC to prove himself as a professional.

I know he's a disaster, I think we all pick players that we think have that upside that we back with a bias. That's what I'm doing here.

I'm saying this knowing I'll probably be wrong and won't be mad if he turns it around somewhere else. I wouldn't blame any team for not touching him. He reminds me of Justin Blackmon. The spice thing bothered me, but he's just someone who you watch at times and he looks legit. So far in the NFL he hasn't.

It’s more than the spice thing. He was just arrested a month ago for speeding and driving with a suspended license and cops found suspected cocaine in his car but couldn’t test it. He’s coming off of a torn ACL, came to TC out of shape, and has never done a thing as a player in the league  to warrant a tire kicking. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This kid was a talented player with a bright future.  It became apparent in college that his effort and commitment to football was lacking.  Arizona took a chance and the guy didn't respond.  It's unlikely that he has much of a support structure of family or friends around him to provide a positive influence.  This is just another pathetic case that happens all too often in professional sports.  Maybe this will shock the guy to take some positive steps to turn things around but I'm doubtful.  The Bills don't need the distraction of a high risk reclamation project.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's all on Allen at this point. They passed on a MVP QB and now they have to prove their QB is capable of getting them to the playoffs. If Allen is even above average with Edmunds, Oliver, and White all playing at a high level this team will be fine. Still worried about a pass rush but if those guys continue to develop then McD and Beane will be here for a while. As much as I am hesitant to give praise of this regime (Beane created the cap crisis and McD let Gilmore walk then blew a 3dd round comp pick), I really like what they have done with the OL. They overpaid for Morse but if he is even close to a top 5 center they should be able to put together a solid line with the mix of veterans and youth on this team. I like bringing back Lee Smith as a blocking TE. Hope they couple that with getting rid of useless FB position. And I like they drafted a TE. 

I want them to be successful. I just wish more people on this board would be more objective about the moves made. Most of what a GM does is educated guesses anyways. If they knew what they were doing then there wouldn't be the term bust.

Beane created the cap crisis? He also probably moved up 7 spots to draft Samuel Watkins?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Robert was a top notch prosect coming out of HS

His collegiate tape and last year left alot to he desired

I didn't have a top 30 grade on him

Trent Edwards was at one time ranked #1 in the nation in high school, as a qb. Projections do not guarantee anything. So many things can happen for athletes between high school and through university, and from the jump from university to pros. Competition, attitudes, supporting casts, systems, and pressures can make or break persons. Injuries, changes in priorities, and being rewarded with lots of money also can ruin drives and careers. It”s often survival of the fittest, having good luck at times, and proper mentors or coaching on your side too, and wanting to persevere and not give up when things get tough. These players must continue to work hard and be self-motivated when they get to the next levels, and want to fight daily to be the best, as talent and size only goes so far. At higher levels,  nobody will be handing out silver spoons or I’m the biggest, strongest and fasted awards. That slow, short, skinny little turtle kid beneath you in high school that you beat up playing wiffle ball and soft ball can suddenly become a super athletic ninja because of his attitude and smarts were in the right places. Athletes that succeed for long duration know these are not races but battles that must be sustained and won over time, with battles not just on the field and in the weight room, but occurring too in their own mind. It does not matter if one is quiet, outgoing, narcissistic, empathetic, short, tall, heavy or light, one can succeed if they daily strive to be their absolute best. This requires internal strength, self-motivation, and an admittance of wrongs and a desire to listen and learn something important, for each and every moment, on each and every day.. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The biggest difference between Nkemdiche & Oliver is the production. Each were ELITE recruits but Oliver may be the best freshman to ever play college football. His sophomore year was also dominant. His last year was about protecting his draft status as he had already cemented himself as a LOCK to go in the top 10

Nkemdiche was a part of (arguably) the shadiest recruiting class ever. He was a great recruit but there was some shady business going on. If memory serves me correctly he came in with Treadwell & Tunsil. That Ole Miss program was not one built on character. 

Last year he played nose tackle and was facing double and triple teams.  I don’t recall hearing much about him protecting himself for the draft, while playing at nose tackle would have led to a higher chance of getting hurt and hurting his draft stock, and he didn’t refuse to play there. 

Edited by Doc

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Last year he played nose tackle and was facing double and triple teams.  I don’t recall hearing much about him protecting himself for the draft, while playing at nose tackle would have led to a higher chance of getting hurt and hurting his draft stock, and he didn’t refuse to play there. 

He actually came back and played vs Memphis after his knee injury last year, probably should have just shut it down but it wasn’t considered a season ender

2 hours ago, eball said:

I disagree.  In my opinion the good outweighs the bad by a wide margin, and none of the "bad" has involved significant draft capital or cap space.  And if you want to gripe about the free agents Beane signed going into 2018 I'll say, again, that those were simply roster fillers in a known year of transition.

Except Star wasn't. 

10 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Bleh. I just see a smallish DT who is stuck in his own head. Watch the guy walk around flexing.

He is either going to be great or get steam rolled and humbled. I don’t see a guy like that just filling a role. 

Two problems with your take. Because you see him “flexing“ you make the assumption that he is stuck in his own head. No basis for connection there. As flimsy as “evidence“ can get. Secondly, he is a first round draft pick. Not only that, a top 10 pick. By definition these picks are boom or bust. He may ultimately not pan out, but, frankly, you provide no significant or compelling evidence to suggest that. Let’s just let it play out and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Ed Oliver got double and triple teamed the second he stepped foot on the Houston campus. That wasn’t new with the position switch. They had him at the zero (which is out of position).

The second that he got a little dinged though, he shut it down (which anyone with a brain should do). He declared before last season even started. Oliver was a lock because his tape was that good. That’s the difference between he and Nkemdiche. Both of them entered college with a lot of hype. One of them consistently dominated and one of them flashed at times. That’s why they were different prospects entering the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was just arrested a month ago for speeding and driving with a suspended license and cops found suspected cocaine in his car but couldn’t test it.

Dennis Fung was the lab tech?  They were using Police Squad’s lab?  Nobody told them CSI went off the air a few years ago?