Astro Notes Bills Practice 3 (7/27)

20 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Or for ScottLaw to tell us that, statistically speaking, catches by our WR's and touchdowns by our offense, on the 3rd day of camp, when held at saint John Fisher, tend to correlate to poor performances in the regular season ?

Apparently it takes time to be that negative.

24 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Nice read.  Thanks.

Appears that about all Tyree does is arrive early and sign autographs.  It'll be interesting to see how he does in preseason games.  If he looks decent someone will likely bite if we cut him.  So perhaps coach tells him to "bomb" if he wants to stay in Buffalo.

One thing I'm missing this year isinfo on how the 2nd and 3rd string are doing. 

Last year of course, there was intense interest because of the "QB Battle" so we heard more, whereas now everyone wants to focus on Josh and the guys who are running with the 1's.  But I'd like to hear a bit more about the rest of the guys, the "future burger flippers" as Astro says

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One thing I'm missing this year isinfo on how the 2nd and 3rd string are doing. 

Last year of course, there was intense interest because of the "QB Battle" so we heard more, whereas now everyone wants to focus on Josh and the guys who are running with the 1's.  But I'd like to hear a bit more about the rest of the guys, the "future burger flippers" as Astro says

Funny, I'm the opposite.  It is so refreshing to hear lots of positive commentary about a Buffalo Bills 1st string offense I just can't get enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Or for ScottLaw to tell us that, statistically speaking, catches by our WR's and touchdowns by our offense, on the 3rd day of camp, when held at saint John Fisher, tend to correlate to poor performances in the regular season ?

SL is gonna SL, don’t think he can help himself, we all know the world would stop spinning if Scott was positive for more than a second or two... ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Now those are analytics! :w00t:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Appears that about all Tyree does is arrive early and sign autographs.  It'll be interesting to see how he does in preseason games.  If he looks decent someone will likely bite if we cut him.  So perhaps coach tells him to "bomb" if he wants to stay in Buffalo.

I hope he stays on the PS here

The punting situation is a worry. I don't think our day 1 punter is on the roster. I knew BoJo sucked.... he might be able to kick it a mile when he nails one but he is an accident waiting to happen with poor hang times. Carter I had some hope for based on last pre-season but he doesn't sound like he is kicking well at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The punting situation is a worry. I don't think our day 1 punter is on the roster. I knew BoJo sucked.... he might be able to kick it a mile when he nails one but he is an accident waiting to happen with poor hang times. Carter I had some hope for based on last pre-season but he doesn't sound like he is kicking well at all. 

I remember when our only strength was the punter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I remember when our only strength was the punter.

LOL!   You're right!  Watching Moorman boom it was the best part of the whole game.  He sure got a lot of practice on those clunker teams...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That what I was hoping for but it's looking like they better get their ***** figured out or someone's getting dropped to bring in another challenger.

I’ll give some additional insights to today’s practice since I was there. 

-Josh Allen looked really good today. He was pretty consistent on throwing to all levels. It seems he has a good connection with Brown and Beasley already. Beasley was talking Allen’s ears off on the sideline you could tell. Matt Barkley looked solid and efficient as a Backup should. Tyree Jackson looked like a guy running with the 3rd team, tho he did have a pretty deep ball in 11 on 11

-Devin Singletary looks good. Much quicker and shifty than his 4.66 would indicate. Yeldon looks big but average. McCoy still has some juice. 

-Beasley, if healthy, is going to lead the team in receptions. Flat out broke a dudes ankles in 1 on 1. Foster toasts a guy in 1-1 for a long Allen TD. Brown looks really good. Adjusts for a long ball TD from Allen in the middle of the field. A very difficult catch. 

-Knox looks thick and agile, Sweeney is huge but has more ability to catch balls than he gets credit for. Had a nice 20 yarder on a touch pass. Lee Smith doing what he does, blocking and false starting. 

-Oline looked okay today. Ford got worked some in 1 on 1s. First by Murphy, then by Johnson the 7th rounder. Speaking of Johnson, I can see why they took a flyer. Incredibly long with a great body type. Much like Edmunds just not as jacked with good athleticism but raw. 

- Ed Oliver didn’t really stand out in any way today. Defense was unspectacular but to be fair, a couple of the deep TDs today could have been counted as sacks because they were getting pressure. Edmunds is way better to start year 2. Looks quicker to react to run plays and still looks great as a pass defender. Stays with Beasley across the middle. Alexander looks athletic and ready to go for a 36 year old. 

-The secondary was rotating a lot of guys in practice. I thought the guys who had the best days were Taron Johnson, EJ Gaines and Cam Lewis. Blanketing guys all practice. 

- I don’t think David Sills or Nick Easley make the team or practice squad. Just too stiff. I was disappointed in the punting, particularly Cory Carter who was very good in training camp last year. 

Last note, I see twitter giving massive props for Allen starting 5 for 5 in practice today from various tweeters and bloggers. Yes he completed them, but it was clearly a walkthrough where the defense wasn’t actively trying to stop the offense. It was one of those pregame warmups where the offense executes and the defense doesn’t stop it but is in the right position

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 6

25 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I’ll give some additional insights to today’s practice since I was there. 

-Josh Allen looked really good today. He was pretty consistent on throwing to all levels. It seems he has a good connection with Brown and Beasley already. Beasley was talking Allen’s ears off on the sideline you could tell. Matt Barkley looked solid and efficient as a Backup should. Tyree Jackson looked like a guy running with the 3rd team, tho he did have a pretty deep ball in 11 on 11

-Devin Singletary looks good. Much quicker and shifty than his 4.66 would indicate. Yeldon looks big but average. McCoy still has some juice. 

-Beasley, if healthy, is going to lead the team in receptions. Flat out broke a dudes ankles in 1 on 1. Foster toasts a guy in 1-1 for a long Allen TD. Brown looks really good. Adjusts for a long ball TD from Allen in the middle of the field. A very difficult catch. 

-Knox looks thick and agile, Sweeney is huge but has more ability to catch balls than he gets credit for. Had a nice 20 yarder on a touch pass. Lee Smith doing what he does, blocking and false starting. 

-Oline looked okay today. Ford got worked some in 1 on 1s. First by Murphy, then by Johnson the 7th rounder. Speaking of Johnson, I can see why they took a flyer. Incredibly long with a great body type. Much like Edmunds just not as jacked with good athleticism but raw. 

- Ed Oliver didn’t really stand out in any way today. Defense was unspectacular but to be fair, a couple of the deep TDs today could have been counted as sacks because they were getting pressure. Edmunds is way better to start year 2. Looks quicker to react to run plays and still looks great as a pass defender. Stays with Beasley across the middle. Alexander looks athletic and ready to go for a 36 year old. 

-The secondary was rotating a lot of guys in practice. I thought the guys who had the best days were Taron Johnson, EJ Gaines and Cam Lewis. Blanketing guys all practice. 

- I don’t think David Sills or Nick Easley make the team or practice squad. Just too stiff. I was disappointed in the punting, particularly Cory Carter who was very good in training camp last year. 

Last note, I see twitter giving massive props for Allen starting 5 for 5 in practice today from various tweeters and bloggers. Yes he completed them, but it was clearly a walkthrough where the defense wasn’t actively trying to stop the offense. It was one of those pregame warmups where the offense executes and the defense doesn’t stop it but is in the right position

Thanks for the added insight.

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That what I was hoping for but it's looking like they better get their ***** figured out or someone's getting dropped to bring in another challenger.

The glass half full version of this is IF punting sucks....McDermott will be more aggressive on 3rd and 4th downs :).