Golden Tate out against us

Ben

17 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t have it in front of me but he seems to have a legitimate appeal case. He SAYS that he and his wife took fertility drugs in April or something. A few days later he found out it contained a substance banned. He immediately notified the league and team before any failed test was known. And he couldn’t possibly have used it in April as a ‘performance enhancer.”

IF all of that is true he has a good case and the NFL will probably still deny it. ;)

Yea if that is true he should 100% win his appeal. 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

I assume you mean the comments after the article, not the article itself?  As it notes:

"Despite Tate's optimism, drug suspensions are rarely overturned due to the NFL's ironclad policy on banned substances, which states that "[p]layers are responsible for what is in their bodies and a positive test will not be excused because a Player was unaware that he was taking a Prohibited Substance."

I mean, that's pretty much how it has to be, otherwise "oh, the doctor said it was fine, I didn't know" becomes everyone's excuse.  It's not like it's "tainted Mexican beef", something that has not previously been encountered....Tate was a rookie when Mathis was suspended.

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The league doesn’t care. They tell them not to take a tic tac before clearing it 100% with the league. 

But it was a genuine mistake and he highlighted it in advance of a positive test. Sounds like he did everything he could do. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But it was a genuine mistake and he highlighted it in advance of a positive test. Sounds like he did everything he could do. 

He said before the failed test was confirmed.

That could easily he read as he failed the a, sample was notified, and then he told them about the fertility treatment.  I used to administer drug tests.  If someone fails the first question asked is "would there be a reason for this to be in your system?"  For most people it would be a prescription.  

I won't guarantee that's what happened here but due to the careful wording I wouldn't be surprised.

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

He said before the failed test was confirmed.

That could easily he read as he failed the a, sample was notified, and then he told them about the fertility treatment.  I used to administer drug tests.  If someone fails the first question asked is "would there be a reason for this to be in your system?"  For most people it would be a prescription.  

I won't guarantee that's what happened here but due to the careful wording I wouldn't be surprised.

Well clearly that is different. I was talking only in the terms of whether it is as Tate presents it. If the story is slightly different then my view is different. 

4 hours ago, ALF said:

3 hours ago, eball said:

If true, very hard to believe the NFL would uphold the suspension.

They have to uphold it.  There is no provision for a player "not knowing what was in it before he took it".

It is the responsibility of the player to understand everything that is in any exogenous substance he chooses to put into his body.  Tate knows this--they all do.  Can't blame "the doctor" (it won't sway the NFL).  All Tate had to do was, before he took this drug, bring the drug to the attention of the NFL and ask if there was anything in it that is banned.  It's as simple as that.

He has to sit 4 games for sheer stupidity alone.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Sheppard should be back week one. However the Giants are down 2 projected starters in Tate and Coleman. 

Coleman would’ve been lucky to make the roster.  No way he’d start.  Okay.  It’s the Giants.  There’s no way he should be starting in the NFL.  But there is the matter of Sterling Shepard‘s broken thumb.  He might not be 100%.

As for the positive test.  He can make any excuses he wants, but they won’t impact his suspension.  The rules are clear.  

Edited by BarleyNY

37 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Coleman would’ve been lucky to make the roster.  No way he’d start.  Okay.  It’s the Giants.  There’s no way he should be starting in the NFL.  But there is the matter of Sterling Shepard‘s broken thumb.  He might not be 100%.

As for the positive test.  He can make any excuses he wants, but they won’t impact his suspension.  The rules are clear.  

Yet Coleman was expected to start in NY. It has been widely reported that. So right now will be down two starters and their other Starter with a recovering dislocated Finger. 

Coleman was going to be their starting Returner he did that last year and was effective and going into camp it was widely talked about Giants giving him the shot with the Ones to secure that 3rd WR spot. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Yet Coleman was expected to start in NY. It has been widely reported that. So right now will be down two starters and their other Starter with a recovering dislocated Finger. 

I believe you.  It’s just idiotic on the part of the NYG.  Or maybe they were just trying to give him some public support while they remained hopeful.  Dunno, but he’s not a viable NFL WR.  Saw that here and in Cleveland.  Fast as hell, but can’t catch and never bothered to try to learn how to be a WR. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I believe you.  It’s just idiotic on the part of the NYG.  Or maybe they were just trying to give him some public support while they remained hopeful.  Dunno, but he’s not a viable NFL WR.  Saw that here and in Cleveland.  Fast as hell, but can’t catch and never bothered to try to learn how to be a WR. 

Even if he didn’t secure the 3rd WR spot like they anticipated he was their Starting Returner. So either way lost a starting returner and maybe a starting WR for the year 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes but after a random test.  If random test occurred months later would not be issue.

It is like embezzler reporting mistake after audit announced but before results in. 

He knew he would be caught and tried to (IMO) reduce sentence.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Even if he didn’t secure the 3rd WR spot like they anticipated he was their Starting Returner. So either way lost a starting returner and maybe a starting WR for the year 

I’m just trying to figure out what a WR who is worse than Corey Coleman looks like.  If the NYG trot out someone like that AS A STARTER then I’m not sure why they’re bothering to show at all.

In all honesty for weeks 1-4 they might line up their top three WRs as Shepard and some combination of their 5th round rookie (Slayton) and cut down pickups and/or traded players. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1