Golden Tate out against us

Ben

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

So he took a banned substance. His suspension will hold for sure.

With the list of stuff they can't take being a mile long, why would they not check every single time they are about to try something new? Seems simple.

I know, right?  The league has a list of banned substances, how hard can it be to print it out and take it to the Drs office?

40 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t have it in front of me but he seems to have a legitimate appeal case. He SAYS that he and his wife took fertility drugs in April or something. A few days later he found out it contained a substance banned. He immediately notified the league and team before any failed test was known. And he couldn’t possibly have used it in April as a ‘performance enhancer.”

IF all of that is true he has a good case and the NFL will probably still deny it. ;)

Except that...performance enhancing drugs are banned year round for a reason.  The off-season and certainly April are when players are trying to gain strength.   "Try to gain strength in the off-season, try to maintain strength through the season"  Not saying Tate's story isn't true or that he shouldn't be granted an appeal, but it's Bullcrackle that taking a drug in April "couldn't possibly have been used as a performance enhancer'.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Same thing with Robert Mathis a few years ago as I recall

Did he win his appeal?

• Like (+1) 2

The more plausible story is that he was taking something, got tested, knew he was busted, and created a story to try to cover his butt.

Or he's just an idiot and actually started taking fertility drugs without checking if something in them is banned. Why would he check AFTER he started taking them?

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

These guys are responsible to know what they are ingesting. Even if what he says is true that doesn’t make him any less guilty. It is drummed into their heads to know what they are putting into their body.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

Banned for taking a substance that is not allowed. Reasons don't really matter. He took it.

Anyone can make up a sob story after they get caught. True or not, I just cant see the league budging.

Except it appears he told NFL before he was caught.

11 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

These guys are responsible to know what they are ingesting. Even if what he says is true that doesn’t make him any less guilty. It is drummed into their heads to know what they are putting into their body.

...damn right BOE......and I have to believe if something is not on the "no no list", there is a type of advisory board available for ruling.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I find the statement "I did all of this well before a failed test was even confirmed" to be a major red flag.  I don't think his appeal goes well.

Yeah. He should have just checked the drugs first if that's the case. Doesn't matter how proactive he is after failing to check the drugs before taking them and then getting tested. He screwed up and will be suspended for it.

If he's lucky, though, his story will cause fans and media to not attack him. Saving face is all he has left in this situation.

Edited by MJS

Nice sob story, but rules are pretty well laid out. You have to be pretty dumb to not realize what fertility drugs are for a dude.  The guy most likely took testosterone. I’m sure every dude in the NFL would like some more testosterone in their body. If all u have to do is go to a fertility doctor and it is good, every player will be doing it 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know, right?  The league has a list of banned substances, how hard can it be to print it out and take it to the Drs office?

Except that...performance enhancing drugs are banned year round for a reason.  The off-season and certainly April are when players are trying to gain strength.   "Try to gain strength in the off-season, try to maintain strength through the season"  Not saying Tate's story isn't true or that he shouldn't be granted an appeal, but it's Bullcrackle that taking a drug in April "couldn't possibly have been used as a performance enhancer'.

Did he win his appeal?

I don’t think he won

interesting article about it 

Why the NFL Had to Act Harshly in the Robert Mathis Case

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2068505-why-the-nfl-had-to-act-harshly-in-the-robert-mathis-case.amp.html

Edited by YoloinOhio

The bottom line here is that if you are an NFL player you don't put ANYTHING in your body unless you are SURE that it is not on the banned list. My only question on this is whether the NFL would have/could have granted him "permission" if he had petitioned them IN ADVANCE for permission - assuming this whole "Fertility Treatment" is actually even legit. This on top of the Giants other WR injuries puts them at an even greater disadvantage to the Bills in Week #2. Sterling Shepard has a broken thumb and Corey Coleman out with a torn ACL. It would be a great start to the NFL season if the Bills beat both NJ teams and go 2-0 out of the starting gate.

• Like (+1) 1

Bottom line: he's not playing against the Bills. Even if the suspension gets knocked down, it wouldn't be lower than two games.

Whatever happened, the day the NFL erases a banned substance suspension is the day the floodgates open. Tate will get at least two.

42 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

Bottom line: he's not playing against the Bills. Even if the suspension gets knocked down, it wouldn't be lower than two games.

Whatever happened, the day the NFL erases a banned substance suspension is the day the floodgates open. Tate will get at least two.

Not true.

His appeal ruling could be two months from now.

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Nice sob story, but rules are pretty well laid out. You have to be pretty dumb to not realize what fertility drugs are for a dude.  The guy most likely took testosterone. I’m sure every dude in the NFL would like some more testosterone in their body. If all u have to do is go to a fertility doctor and it is good, every player will be doing it 

Agreed, if it was testostorone he would surely have to have known it was a banned substance. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can't remember the last time a player won an appeal on a drug suspension. Assuming this sticks our defense will have an easy time in week 2. Just stop Barkley.

LOL... The run defense is a serious concern.  They were gashed multiple times last year.  Oliver is a rookie. A lot will depend on Edmunds getting significanty better.  Needs to diagnose runs better and take better angles to the RB.  He is young so I am optimistic he can make a big leap.  He is still younger than most rookies.