Bills Training Camp: Day 3 - 7/27

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Training camp can be deceptive, we all know.  Guys who are training camp heroes get to opening day and become zeroes (you know who I'm talkin' about here).

But it's nice to be hearing pretty much the same thing from both news media and fans who are there, and all to the point that Allen looks markedly improved and has some real football players who can run real routes to throw to.

yeah, BUT!

Allen, Brown & Beasley are working against the #2 ranked Pass Defense which by all accounts has improved significantly this year. Currently, the 3 are chewing up great players!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

yeah, BUT!

Allen, Brown & Beasley are working against the #2 ranked Pass Defense which by all accounts has improved significantly this year. Currently, the 3 are chewing up great players!

Wonderfully true, but it's still different when there's a game plan and the intensity ratchets up for a real game. 

Still beats the heck out of hitting the Hospitality tent or the inexperienced WR not being able to separate against backup DBs 'cuz Vontae being "brought along slowly"

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Foster will get his snaps spelling Brown and Zay and be in on 4 WR sets.

He is young and needs to gain some knowledge before being considered a full time WR.

We all got to remember he only caught 35 balls in 'bama in 4 years!

He is very raw and the coaches are wise bringing him around slowly.

IMO

Exactly correct.  The fact that Foster went from being cut and signed to the practice squad, to the starting WR lineup by the end of last season, is to his credit.

But it also speaks to just how low we were in WR quality and depth, because when you compare him to starting WR around the league - he "shows promise"

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I guess the Foster hype train will need to pump the breaks. 

Like I said earlier, he was a monster today.  He should be starting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Coach Bobby Johnson  is my new favorite  coach and might be this teams biggest upgrade of the offseason

I had this same thought. Will see in the real games but it seems like he could be a big time difference maker. He was the assistant OL coach in Indy last year, which went from one of the worst OLs to one of the best very quickly 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He is young and needs to gain some knowledge before being considered a full time WR.

IMO

I’m looking forward to Foster and Brown split wide with Beasley and Zay in the slots in four receiver sets. I also love the idea of Knox as a fifth in that scenario. 

• Like (+1) 4

I know there is a lot of excitement around Cody Ford, but based on some of his highlight reel work I hope they never ask him to pull. Looked like a Star Wars AT-ST trying to run behind center and line up someone to block. Not his thing - has a great range and long arms pass blocking, and is a nasty bull when plowing straight forward in run blocking.

You get an idea of the drop in coaching talent between college and pros when you see coaches completely misuse players like Ford and Oliver.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Wow, Williams getting time with the 1's?

...sorry bud, but I have to paraphrase a McBeane quote I read about Duke (a senior moment thing)......McBeane said, "the signing of Duke Williams changed the need to draft a top WR prospect early on".....thus there must be high hopes for Duke to negate a high draft pick WR.....BUT....keep in mind that some of our top TBD prognosticators (RARELY wrong)  labeled Duke as "nothing more than camp fodder".....choose your side........

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly correct.  The fact that Foster went from being cut and signed to the practice squad, to the starting WR lineup by the end of last season, is to his credit.

But it also speaks to just how low we were in WR quality and depth, because when you compare him to starting WR around the league - he "shows promise"

Exactly Hap.  The hype train really went off during the offseason but a couple of good players with much more experience were brought in.

Having these vets along with WR coach Chad Hall (who is impressing me with his training style for being so young) number 1 job is to help

Josh Allen become a better QB as quick as possible.  I got a good amount of faith that Foster will get there in time.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m looking forward to Foster and Brown split wide with Beasley and Zay in the slots in four receiver sets. I also love the idea of Knox as a fifth in that scenario. 

I imagine Daboll likes that too.  Looking forward to what he can draw up now that he has something to work with.  I'm trying to temper my excitement

for the new season, but it's getting hard to not be a little giddy.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

IMO

/shrugs...

He also had 4 90+ yard games out of his last 7 in the NFL, as a rookie. His deep ability, coupled with Brown's, isn't something you want to keep off the field very long.

They draw away safeties, opening up underneath stuff and down the seams. If a DB bites even slightly on PA, one of those 2 are ready to pounce.

He was easily the most pleasant surprise on O last year and brings a skill that can't be taught. 

Use him.